Whose era do you like better?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Whose era do you like better?

• Diamond Dave - David Lee Roth
    • The Red Rocker - Sammy Hagar

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the way my thought goes is like this...

First off, I'm only 17. I haven't been into VH for very long, and the first albums I bought were Roth albums. Granted, I thought they were good, real good. But a lot of the songs sounded a lot alike to me, there wasn't much diversity in the band. (Being a musician, I like diversity! yes.gif) Well, at some point I bought 5150 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (both Hagar albums) and I really liked them both, especially the latter. I liked Sammy's voice also. I guess what hooked me the most about them was just that they sounded more mature so the music wasn't as straightlined as when DLR was singing, and more diverse.

The rest of you guys are like well, Roth had awesome stage presence! Okay, that's cool, but for someone who's young and has never seen them live, listening only to the records, that's how I deduct my thought. Maybe if I had been alive during that time and seen Roth perform, my opinion might be different. But oh well. That's just my two cents.

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Jun 30 2005, 12:04 AM)
Well the way my thought goes is like this...

First off, I'm only 17. I haven't been into VH for very long, and the first albums I bought were Roth albums. Granted, I thought they were good, real good. But a lot of the songs sounded a lot alike to me, there wasn't much diversity in the band. (Being a musician, I like diversity! yes.gif) Well, at some point I bought 5150 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (both Hagar albums) and I really liked them both, especially the latter. I liked Sammy's voice also. I guess what hooked me the most about them was just that they sounded more mature so the music wasn't as straightlined as when DLR was singing, and more diverse.

The rest of you guys are like well, Roth had awesome stage presence! Okay, that's cool, but for someone who's young and has never seen them live, listening only to the records, that's how I deduct my thought. Maybe if I had been alive during that time and seen Roth perform, my opinion might be different. But oh well. That's just my two cents.

Please tell me you live in California! If you want to see a DLR Van halen show, sometimes I swear better than Van halen themselves check out The Atomic Punks!

I don't know if it's still there, but they had a clip when Michael Anthony came and played with them. I used to love going to those shows.

They refuse to play Hagar, and would probably get you kicked out if you requested it! They also are the best Rush cover band I have ever seen called Moving Pictures band.. Sometimes they open with Rush and then do VH.

The Atomic Punks

Moving Pictures Band

Sammy Hagar in a heartbeat!!!! If it wasnt for him, The sissy(DLR) wouldve turned Van Halen into a pop band like new kids on the block. the best day in Van Halens history was when they threw DLR out.

QUOTE (Raider917 @ Jun 29 2005, 05:20 PM)
Sammy Hagar in a heartbeat!!!! If it wasnt for him, The sissy(DLR) wouldve turned Van Halen into a pop band like new kids on the block. the best day in Van Halens history was when they threw DLR out.

I'm sorry but I disagree...they turned into a pop, commercial band when Hagar joined...with DLR they were more of a rocking band IMO

QUOTE (Raider917 @ Jun 30 2005, 01:20 AM)

laugh.gif You have got to be kidding. Van Hagar is way more of a pop band.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 29 2005, 10:42 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 29 2005, 02:39 PM)
I'm sorry, but Roth had the perfect voice, personality, presence etc. for that band. I have nothing against Hagar as a singer, but the bottonl ine is: They made good music with Roth, and they didn't make good music with Hagar.

??? The music with Hagar was more complex to play.

That doesn't stop Dream Theater from sucking.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 29 2005, 08:05 PM)
I'm sorry, but Roth had the perfect voice, personality, presence etc. for that band. I have nothing against Hagar as a singer, but the bottonl ine is: They made good music with Roth, and they didn't make good music with Hagar.

I've heard people say Rush sucks, because they've played for 30 years and still haven't made it to RRHOF. The singer shouts and you can barely understand them, and they get virtually no radio play?

How am I to argue?

Plus I'm a bit biased - I thought Roth was such an dick I couldn't listen to the band. Much like GNR with Axel Rose. I still wouldn't say they sucked.

QUOTE (Raider917 @ Jun 29 2005, 06:20 PM)

Raider raises a good point - the band probably would have ended up dead if Roth was the singer still.

Many said Rush was more of a pop band once they brought in synth and started singing sappy tunes like "Time Stand Still". And they were right.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 29 2005, 05:05 PM)

Ladies and Gentlemen...the line of the day....

laugh.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Jun 29 2005, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 29 2005, 05:05 PM)

Ladies and Gentlemen...the line of the day....

laugh.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Thought you were a fan of theirs? unsure.gif

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Jun 29 2005, 02:17 PM)
I can't even believe this poll had to be made. Hagar sucks donkey schlong.

http://www.spacespider.net/emo/signs064.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Jun 29 2005, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (Raider917 @ Jun 29 2005, 06:20 PM)

Raider raises a good point - the band probably would have ended up dead if Roth was the singer still.

Many said Rush was more of a pop band once they brought in synth and started singing sappy tunes like "Time Stand Still". And they were right.

I don't know man...the last album with Dave...1984...was HUGE! One of the best selling albums of the 80's....IMO 5150 rode the coattails of 1984...I can't see 1984 selling so much with Hagar on board...after 5150 things went downhill for Van Hagar (with the exception of the F.U.C.K. album)...musically I thought Balance was pretty good though I don't think I'd buy it....

Anybody remember when that Crystal Pepsi shit came out?? And they were using Van Hagar's "Right Now" vid to promote it? Ye Rock 'n Roll sarcasm.gif When Dave was in it was a band...when Hagar came aboard it turned into a franchise....

I like the Roth era better not because Sammy sucks it was just that I didn't like him in Van Halen.

I grew up with Drop dead legs,Atomic Punk,Jamie's Cryin, Running with the Devil,You're No Good ETC.

Now saying that Roth does seem to be a jerk but they put out some great music with him

Hagar i liked as a solo preformer.

Just couldn't dig many of the VH tunes being cover tunes back then. Bored me half to death :| May be I'm just too young for all of yas wink.gif

BTW - they had a good chuckle at the Rush fans on the VH board now that Rush released some covers.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 30 2005, 03:05 AM)

rofl3.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Jun 30 2005, 07:26 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 30 2005, 03:05 AM)

rofl3.gif goodpost.gif

Or the New York Rangerks.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Jun 29 2005, 05:24 PM)
QUOTE (Raider917 @ Jun 29 2005, 05:20 PM)

I'm sorry but I disagree...they turned into a pop, commercial band when Hagar joined...with DLR they were more of a rocking band IMO

yes.gif

The quintessential Van Halen:

http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/V/van_halen_1984f.jpg

I first saw Van Halen in 1983 for the Diver Down tour and it was far and away THE best show I ever saw with the exception of Rush. DLR was about as cool as you can get, the music was about as loud as you can get and it was just stunning all the way around. I saw them the next year for the 1984 tour and all of the sudden DLR had become completely obnoxious. I don't know what it was, I remember him twriling this baton thing around and around - somehow he just wasn't anywhere near as cool anymore, like he was just a little TOO full of himself. Others who saw both shows agreed. I don't know if this was typical of that tour or not, but it was shortly thereafter that he was out of the band. ohmy.gif

STILL, they were such an amazing band with him that I never bought a Van Hagar album out of protest and defiance if nothing else. Some of the hits they had on the radio with Hagar were actually pretty good, but this wasn't the same band as far as I was concerned. no.gif

For those who need proof of DLR's greatness get 1984, their 2nd best album, but if you really want to be blown away, get their self-titled 1978 debut album - it will blow you away - one of the best debut albums by anyone, anytime, anywhere... 1022.gif

http://fiw.web.infoseek.co.jp/sanctuary/pic/vanhalen1.jpg

I digress.

Equal - not voting coz although I know who they both are, I was not into VH very much when I was young. If at all, I would say Roth. I don't have any albums, but remember that their cover of "You Really Got Me" and also a song called "D.O.A." were pretty good.

DLR without a doubt - I thought they turned into a pop rock band with Sammy - which was a shame since I loved his previous solo work and with Montrose ( God I'm getting old) ohmy.gif

Archived