Food you've eaten that should have killed you

Mara

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 23 2012, 09:36 PM)
I ate raw lamb once.

I was drunk, now there's a surprise.

Anything I ate or drank for the following week tasted of lamb. Even Guinness.

Both ends burning.

Seems like it had to be something else. It shouldn't have been able to stay in your system for an entire week. Damn sinister lamb.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 23 2012, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 23 2012, 09:36 PM)
I ate raw lamb once.

I was drunk, now there's a surprise.

Anything I ate or drank for the following week tasted of lamb. Even Guinness.

Both ends burning.

Seems like it had to be something else. It shouldn't have been able to stay in your system for an entire week. Damn sinister lamb.

I dunno, but it was Christmas 1995, the turkey, the beer, the pudding, everything tasted of dead young sheep. Oh man, I break out in a sweat just thinking about it. It may not have lasted the week, but I do remember being sick as a parrot on the 23rd, the drive home on the 24th, Christmas day and not being able to go out on the 26th(the best night out of the year!).

Sinister lamb.....yes they can be. When they lock you in that gaze. If we don't keep eating them, they'll take over the world.

I ate some suicide wings in a bar in Upstate NY once that nearly killed me. They were SO hot I was considering jumping off a bridge afterward... hence the "almost killed me" part. I didn't know food could be THAT hot.

Looking back, I'm not sure why I actually ate them. A warning to their level of insane heat was when the waitress was carrying them - they burning her eyes... I guess the beer that we bought for .69 a jug may have been a factor back in 1982... tongue.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Oct 7 2012, 09:17 AM)
I once had pizza that turned out to be bad.  It landed my in the hospital after I'd been throwing up and had diarreha for 3+ hours.

Technically speaking, one ought to be able to cut off the musculature off of a freshly killed animal such as a chicken or cow or dog, skin it, and eat it without getting ill, as long as the animal is healthy. Care would have to be taken to avoid the dirty nether regions and alimentary canal. Pigs and cats carry certain parasites that can end up in their tissue, so that would be a bad idea.

Protein gets contaminated after or during butchering. That is why cooking is so important.

The problem is storage and butchering. Raw fish, for example, should be safe to consume if it is eaten right after it is killed.

Now you all get to work and try it and let me know how it goes eh? smile.gif

Edited by vital signz

I was fed mystery meat one time.

To this day, no one still knows about the mystery meat. Don't know what it was, don't know where it came from, don't know how we survived.

For the record, I was completely unaware of this until after I had consumed it. A friend of mine had a small dinner party, cooked and fed this to everyone and then excitedly announced how she became the proud owner of this meat after someone had questioned it. It was questioned because no one could place the taste. Or texture. A few days prior my friend heard the doorbell ring, answers it to find two strangers going door-to-door selling meat out of the back of their truck. And she freakin' bought it!? AND THEN HAS A DINNER PARTY SERVING THIS!? Blew me away. I don't know what it was... deer, horse, dog... who knows.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Aug 7 2012, 05:05 AM)
QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Aug 1 2012, 10:19 PM)
Hamburger Helper

Me too. Can't even smell it anymore. My wife loves it.

I grew up poor.... we're talking, times of no food, everything was given to us from charity, everything was generic.... poor. Not even had real milk. We had to drink the powdered stuff you make with water.

Hamburger Helper was a once-in-a-blue-moon gourmet dinner.

And I still could not stomach that stuff.

QUOTE (librarian @ Aug 22 2012, 12:03 PM)
I just remember the hot lunches served in public school as a kid were pretty bad. Maybe we were eating pink slime back then ohmy.gif

I loved school lunches!! But maybe that's because I had to eat all that generic stuff at home. The spaghetti was the best. I lived for hamburger day because then you had the option of drinking chocolate milk with it. Yeah, that stuff was tasty. tongue.gif

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 22 2012, 08:50 PM)
I once got a severe staff poisining from eating pizza from a dive pizza joint. I spent 8 hours throwing up and having diareah, that I had to be taken to the hospital for an IV due to severe dehydration 062802puke_prv.gif

I've never had food poisoning on that level before but I feel I have had my fair share of toilet hugging experiences. There was even a time where I had food poisoning once a month for like a year.

I lack the ability to determine the food safety of a restaurant. Take a restaurant resembling a shack in the seediest part of town. Most people would say, I think I need to call the food safety patrol persons on this joint. Me? I look at it and say, "Ima get me some chicken from that place!"

The one good thing about food poisoning? You feel so ripped after hurling for an entire day. You're a few pounds lighter and your sides have had a complete workout no gym can match.

QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 10 2012, 02:10 AM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 22 2012, 08:50 PM)
I once got a severe staff poisining from eating pizza from a dive pizza joint.  I spent 8 hours throwing up and having diareah, that I had to be taken to the hospital for an IV due to severe dehydration  062802puke_prv.gif

I've never had food poisoning on that level before but I feel I have had my fair share of toilet hugging experiences. There was even a time where I had food poisoning once a month for like a year.

I lack the ability to determine the food safety of a restaurant. Take a restaurant resembling a shack in the seediest part of town. Most people would say, I think I need to call the food safety patrol persons on this joint. Me? I look at it and say, "Ima get me some chicken from that place!"

The one good thing about food poisoning? You feel so ripped after hurling for an entire day. You're a few pounds lighter and your sides have had a complete workout no gym can match.

I have. *shudder* It was absolutely awful. I'm still not sure what it was, but I was barfing up every hour (for 7 hours) and diarrhea wasn't the word - water, I guess you could say. I didn't need any treatment.

QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 10 2012, 10:10 AM)

I'd eat there too! 1022.gif

In regards to dining at questionable eating establishments, there've been many times on trips to SE Asia with buddies in which they said to me,"Are you f***ing crazy?" But we end up eating at those places half the time anyway after I give them the "We won't die from food or alcohol poisoning because we're on vacation." They can't deny the logic of that. tongue.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 11 2012, 05:02 AM)

In regards to dining at questionable eating establishments, there've been many times on trips to SE Asia with buddies in which they said to me,"Are you f***ing crazy?" But we end up eating at those places half the time anyway after I give them the "We won't die from food or alcohol poisoning because we're on vacation." They can't deny the logic of that. tongue.gif trink38.gif

I know you would JB! laugh.gif

There's something sexy about risk takers. No matter if it's food or other.

QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 12 2012, 06:30 AM)

... Sexy ..?

QUOTE (Babycat @ Oct 12 2012, 03:28 PM)

... Sexy ..?

Yes, I'm sexy. biggrin.gif

Funnily though, I've had more stomach aches at non-risky LOOKING restaurants ((sometimes massive chain restaurants)) than at risky looking dives.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Oct 11 2012, 11:28 PM)

... Sexy ..?

laugh.gif I should clarify: Taking chances on trying different things is sexy.

Food poisoning is not sexy; however, I'm sure JB could still rock the sexy with a wicked case of it. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 9 2012, 08:10 PM)

Good God! Talk about seeing the bright side! laugh.gif

The only two times I've been violently ill from food was after eating Paella. Both times, different places. Maybe I have a severe intollerance to something in it, but the mere thought of it makes me wanna hurl.

I grew up with total foodies as parents. At a very young age, my sister and I were eating stuff like steak tartare and pate foie groi. We ate some weird shit, and still lived to talk about it. To this day, I have a dangerously adventurous palate and will try almost anything.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 12 2012, 11:10 AM)

The only two times I've been violently ill from food was after eating Paella. Both times, different places. Maybe I have a severe intollerance to something in it, but the mere thought of it makes me wanna hurl.

I grew up with total foodies as parents. At a very young age, my sister and I were eating stuff like steak tartare and pate foie groi. We ate some weird shit, and still lived to talk about it. To this day, I have a dangerously adventurous palate and will try almost anything.

Sometimes you have no option *but* to see the brighter side of things.

It's weird that you keep getting ill from paella. I have the same issue but with eggplant. I've only had it three times in my life and I was so sick on all three times. One time was really, really bad. Wonder if there's something about certain foods that our tummy's just don't like?

I think that's wonderful you grew up with parents who made a variety of foods and enjoyed cooking. My parents were the absolute complete opposite and because of that, I will eat anything and everything. I was robbed I tell ya!

QUOTE (Janie @ Oct 12 2012, 01:56 PM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 12 2012, 11:10 AM)

Sometimes you have no option *but* to see the brighter side of things.

It's weird that you keep getting ill from paella. I have the same issue but with eggplant. I've only had it three times in my life and I was so sick on all three times. One time was really, really bad. Wonder if there's something about certain foods that our tummy's just don't like?

I think that's wonderful you grew up with parents who made a variety of foods and enjoyed cooking. My parents were the absolute complete opposite and because of that, I will eat anything and everything. I was robbed I tell ya!

I may have issues with digesting muscles or something else that's in it? So, it could very well be only certain foods we have trouble with. At any rate, I get all barfy-feeling when I picture in my mind or think about the smell of paella. 062802puke_prv.gif

Yeah, I was VERY fortunate to have parents who loved cooking. I definitely inherited the knack for it.

Edited by sullysue

Sedona Southwest Soup from California Pizza Kitchen Salt Lake City.

That $4.00 bowl of soup ended up costing me $1700.00.

062802puke_prv.gif fists crying.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (gangsterfurious @ Oct 12 2012, 04:37 PM)

062802puke_prv.gif fists crying.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

omg! Did you report it? I wish I had reported the place I first got sick from that paella. I think it was funky, and I've never been so sick or in pain in my life. Childbirth was more fun than that, and I'm not kidding. wacko.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 12 2012, 11:59 AM)

... Sexy ..?

Funnily though, I've had more stomach aches at non-risky LOOKING restaurants ((sometimes massive chain restaurants)) than at risky looking dives.

music.gif Hello Sexy..! music.gif

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Oct 12 2012, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (gangsterfurious @ Oct 12 2012, 04:37 PM)

062802puke_prv.gif  fists crying.gif  062802puke_prv.gif

omg! Did you report it? I wish I had reported the place I first got sick from that paella. I think it was funky, and I've never been so sick or in pain in my life. Childbirth was more fun than that, and I'm not kidding. wacko.gif

I think I could have pushed out a kid in less time than it took me to recover from that. When my mom rushed me to the hospital she tried to save some of my 062802puke_prv.gif for a potential lawsuit but the nurses discarded it. We knew that's what it was because it was the only thing I had to eat that day. She called to tell them but restaurants don't want to take responsibility for things like that.

QUOTE (Babycat @ Oct 13 2012, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 12 2012, 11:59 AM)

... Sexy ..?

music.gif Hello Sexy..! music.gif

biggrin.gif

trink38.gif