Alice Cooper

NobodysHeroine

I was at the infamous Alice Cooper riot at the Grandstand in Toronto during his blackout period. They claimed Alice had the flu and couldn't perform. I missed not seeing the concert but will forever be able to say I was there for a part of Toronto Rock music history. Still have my ticket from the show.
  • Like 2

I was at the infamous Alice Cooper riot at the Grandstand in Toronto during his blackout period. They claimed Alice had the flu and couldn't perform. I missed not seeing the concert but will forever be able to say I was there for a part of Toronto Rock music history. Still have my ticket from the show.

Oh, what are the details? I don't think I know this story. Was this the CNE grandstand? I've seen Aerosmith and the Rolling Stones there.

Oh, what are the details? I don't think I know this story. Was this the CNE grandstand? I've seen Aerosmith and the Rolling Stones there.

If I ever figure out how to post photos again, I have all of the newspaper articles from the day after. Yes it was the CNE Grandstand. I was dead centre about 20 rows up in the stands. The place was sold out - 20,000. We were waiting for the show to start and after a lengthy delay someone came out and said Alice wasn't feeling well and the show was cancelled. People got pretty angry and the fans on the floor started throwing their metal folding chairs at the stage. Up in the stands people were breaking the arm rests and other parts of the seats and throwing them - generally trashing the stadium. After a little while, the riot police came out from both sides of the stage in full gear with shields. One cop raised his baton and led a charge into the crowd which caused chaos. They forced everyone on the floor to run up into the stands and of course from there we all ran into the concession stand area underneath and behind the seats. The stands were destroyed. I remember seeing big mustard jars flying through the air. Problem was all exit doors were closed so it was getting crowded and then tear gas or some other substance was let go inside and it became very smoky. There was a huge roll up loading door near the east end of the Grandstand with a ramp, where transport trucks could pull in and unload gear. A few guys forced it up about 2 feet and we rolled out underneath to get outside. I found this link to some video.

http://bravewords.com/news/40-years-ago-today-riot-in-toronto-at-alice-cooper-concert-video-footage

• Like 2

If I ever figure out how to post photos again, I have all of the newspaper articles from the day after. Yes it was the CNE Grandstand. I was dead centre about 20 rows up in the stands. The place was sold out - 20,000. We were waiting for the show to start and after a lengthy delay someone came out and said Alice wasn't feeling well and the show was cancelled. People got pretty angry and the fans on the floor started throwing their metal folding chairs at the stage. Up in the stands people were breaking the arm rests and other parts of the seats and throwing them - generally trashing the stadium. After a little while, the riot police came out from both sides of the stage in full gear with shields. One cop raised his baton and led a charge into the crowd which caused chaos. They forced everyone on the floor to run up into the stands and of course from there we all ran into the concession stand area underneath and behind the seats. The stands were destroyed. I remember seeing big mustard jars flying through the air. Problem was all exit doors were closed so it was getting crowded and then tear gas or some other substance was let go inside and it became very smoky. There was a huge roll up loading door near the east end of the Grandstand with a ramp, where transport trucks could pull in and unload gear. A few guys forced it up about 2 feet and we rolled out underneath to get outside. I found this link to some video.

http://bravewords.co...t-video-footage

Check out a young John Roberts who went on to USA news anchor fame, at the end. Back then he was JD Roberts at Much Music

Wow, I'd never seen that video before...thanks for sharing the link.

• Like 1

Ha! That riot happened the day after I turned two years old. That's crazy though. I have been to numerous shows in Canada and the crowds are always respectful and well behaved. But all those shows actually happened. I guess you guys don't take it too well when you're rock n roll is taken away. Not sure I believe Alice's story at the end though. I trust what sober Alice says but not blackout Alice.
  • Like 2

Not sure I believe Alice's story at the end though. I trust what sober Alice says but not blackout Alice.

Lol, it really did sound like a drug addict making bs excuses, didn't it?

:zalice:

Edited by The Cat 3
  • Like 3

We're really lucky this isn't some haunting video of his last days. I can't believe how thin he is here.

Didn't he have to spend a few weeks in the hospital in order to get healthy and put weight back on before he started the road to sobriety? I thought I read an interview with him where he said something about that. I guess he was lucky that he was still young at that time too. So his body was able to recover better.

On a dark, desert night

Look into the sky, something ain't right

A fireball, red and grey

People start to look, frozen in fear

A man grabs a woman, draws her near

They fall to their knees and pray

All mighty God

Is it today?

Fireball, in the sky

Fireball, in the sky

Hey, little boy with a cowboy gun

His momma picks him up, he starts to run