Favorite Food Network host?

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#41 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

Coach Cheesehead

• Members
  • 21420 posts
  • Interests:Drinking, smoking, drugs, Justin Bieber, lying on the internet.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

I like Robert Irvine too - Dinner Impossible can be fun, but he has a strong personality - kinda like Gordon Ramsay. Both seem like nice guys "away from the job." But on the job, they must have exactly what they are asking for.

Sponsored Post

#42 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9376 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 4 2011, 08:02 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 4 2011, 08:53 AM)
I HATE that bleached bloated bastard Guy Fieri.  He stands there with his mouth crammed full of food, talking and chewing at the same time - I can't believe the producers haven't corrected his manners.  He's so gross.

Plus he ruined my neighborhood diner.  They were always busy, but his visit and and feature turned it into a circus - just TRY getting a seat there before 9:30 PM on a Saturday.

Guy is awesome.

Yeah, Guy is the best on the food network which is not saying much. I liked Alton at first but lost interest. Flay is ok.

i think the travel channel destroys the food network when it coming to shows about food.

I like Zimmern the best followed by Bourdain and then Man Versus Food.

I would be the ideal host for Man Versus Beer!  

#43 Queen of Megadon

Queen of Megadon

In a New York Groove

• Members
  • 3063 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 4 2011, 01:48 PM)
I HATE that bleached bloated bastard Guy Fieri.  He stands there with his mouth crammed full of food, talking and chewing at the same time - I can't believe the producers haven't corrected his manners.  He's so gross.

Plus he ruined my neighborhood diner.  They were always busy, but his visit and and feature turned it into a circus - just TRY getting a seat there before 9:30 PM on a Saturday.

Guy is awesome.

Yeah, Guy is the best on the food network which is not saying much. I liked Alton at first but lost interest. Flay is ok.

i think the travel channel destroys the food network when it coming to shows about food.

No Reservations is starting to wear on me a bit.    I totally dig Zimmern though!

#44 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9376 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Apr 4 2011, 02:10 PM)

Guy is awesome.

No Reservations is starting to wear on me a bit.    I totally dig Zimmern though!

Me too. Initially I like Bourdain better but now prefer Zimmern. The way that Zimmern interacts with the more primitive cultures is amazing IMO.  

#45 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

Coach Cheesehead

• Members
  • 21420 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 4 2011, 01:24 PM)

Guy is awesome.

Me too. Initially I like Bourdain better but now prefer Zimmern. The way that Zimmern interacts with the more primitive cultures is amazing IMO.

Yup, and the way Bourdain interacts looks like he's faking interest way too often, and sometimes he's downright condescending to people.  

#46 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9376 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 4 2011, 02:52 PM)

Guy is awesome.

Yup, and the way Bourdain interacts looks like he's faking interest way too often, and sometimes he's downright condescending to people.

thats not the way i perceive it but if thats the way you feel i am cool with it.

its hard to communicate when there are language differences and perhaps what you see as condescension i see as a honest attempt at basic communication.

besides the stuff that guy eats.........yikes.

Edited by tangy, 04 April 2011 - 03:12 PM.

#47 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

Coach Cheesehead

• Members
  • 21420 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 4 2011, 02:11 PM)

Guy is awesome.

thats not the way i perceive it but if thats the way you feel i am cool with it.

its hard to communicate when there are language differences and perhaps what you see as condescension i see as a honest attempt at basic communication.

One instance I can think of off the top of my head was when he was in - I believe WI - asking those people if they had indoor plumbing

#48 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9376 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Apr 4 2011, 03:14 PM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 4 2011, 02:11 PM)

Guy is awesome.

One instance I can think of off the top of my head was when he was in - I believe WI - asking those people if they had indoor plumbing

are you talking about Wisconsin? thats not what i meant by primitive cultures.  I was thinking like over in Africa and other places outside the US.

I say he is a good sport and more times than not the one who the joke is on.

#49 RushCanuck

RushCanuck

From Eh to Zed

• Members *
  • 3975 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:59 PM

He may be only a Canada personality (?), but I like Rob Rainford on Licensed to Grill.  He is a fun guy and I like his BBQ'ing.

#50 Tick

Tick

Mr: 26,000!!!

• Members *
  • 26346 posts
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Apr 4 2011, 03:10 PM)

Guy is awesome.

This season of No Reservations has been nothing short of amazing. Going to places like Nicaragua, Cambodia, and Haiti has made for some gut wrenching episodes. His best work ever.
If you have not seen these episodes, they are must see.   yes.gif  

#51 ReflectedLight

ReflectedLight

The Sphere

• Members
  • 8673 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

i like no reservations compared to bizarre foods.  i get nothing out of watching someone eat monkey brains or sheep balls.

#52 KW84

KW84

Wicked bad NAUGHTY Zoot

• Members
  • 5594 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 4 2011, 06:20 PM)

Guy is awesome.

This season of No Reservations has been nothing short of amazing. Going to places like Nicaragua, Cambodia, and Haiti has made for some gut wrenching episodes. His best work ever.

+1

#53 ColdFireYYZ

ColdFireYYZ

Prog Hipster

• Members
  • 6174 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:34 PM

Bizarre Foods is my favorite. Anthony Bordain's show is good too but I find Bizzare Foods more enteraining. Man Vs Food is okay, but I really think its gross that he forces himself to eat so much so quickly.

As for Food Network, I think they all are ridiculous, except for Guy Fieri.

#54 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9376 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:17 AM

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 4 2011, 06:20 PM)

Guy is awesome.

I saw the Haiti episode. definitely a brutal live down there. so far. Its not that I think Bourdain is bad but at this point I give the edge to Zimmern. I have read two of Bourdains books, which were pretty good IMO.

#55 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9376 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:53 PM

What kills me is when i am watching a cooking show and the host is cross contaminating the entire kitchen...... yikes.

#56 nobodys hero

nobodys hero

Rush Rocker Chick

• Members *
  • 7941 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Rush Rush.. there's more, but really that says it all!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

I like Guy. Yeah he eats with his mouth full but we're all sitting on the edge of our seats waiting for his review tongue.gif . I do want to eat at most of the restaurants he has on his show, the food looks that good.

I hate Ina, she is the most annoying person. My daughter loves to watch her so she goes to another room to do so 062802puke_prv.gif Yeah she turned down a Make a Wish boy 2 years in a row. dazed025.gif     This year Michael Simon and Beau somebody offered to cook with the boy.

An absolute bitch: Carrie Vincent on Challenge. I think her headband is too tight!

#57 rushfanNlv

rushfanNlv

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2072 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 4 2011, 04:53 AM)
i used the alton brown method of cooking a steak and it turned out perfectly. probably the best steak i ever cooked.  it involved high heat, a cast iron skillet, and an oven.

Same here.  Damn fine steak.

I've also used his Brine for thanksgiving turkey.  Everyone raved about it.

AB is the best by far.

I love watching Diners Drive-ins and Dives by Guy does get on my nerves.

#58 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:16 PM

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 5 2011, 01:53 PM)
What kills me is when i am watching a cooking show and the host is cross contaminating the entire kitchen...... yikes.

Hel-llo, Rachel Ray.  I once watched her handle raw chicken, then proceed to open several containers of seasoning with her chicken-slime-coated man hands.  It was nasty.  

#59 rushfanNlv

rushfanNlv

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2072 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:16 PM

Have you ever noticed that Sandra Lee's kitchen always matches what she's wearing?  The dishes, appliances, drapes etc. all change from episode to episode based on what she is wearing.  Drives me nuts for some reason.

#60 circumstantial tree

circumstantial tree

The Movie Star

• Members *
  • 20795 posts
  • Interests:architecture, North Carolina culture, classic TV, biographies, skating, music, fine arts, Italian cuisine, striped tube socks. Starred in "Beyond the Lighted Stage" as a fan.

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Apr 5 2011, 03:16 PM)
Have you ever noticed that Sandra Lee's kitchen always matches what she's wearing?  The dishes, appliances, drapes etc. all change from episode to episode based on what she is wearing.  Drives me nuts for some reason.

I watched her this morning prepare a tradition English countryside dish involving prime rib and orange toddies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users