American Idol- anyone?

Running Rebel

I have never paid much attention to AI but I have heard some good things about this rocker James. So I checked out some stuff on the official website. Yup, this kid could make it in the rock n roll world. 1022.gif

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also think it will be down to James and Lauren. My choices are James and Haley, though. - I am pulling for The Durbinator.

I predict bottom 3 tonight are Jacob, Scotty and Haley with Jacob going home.

QUOTE (Gompers @ May 5 2011, 11:36 AM)
I have never paid much attention to AI but I have heard some good things about this rocker James. So I checked out some stuff on the official website. Yup, this kid could make it in the rock n roll world. 1022.gif

He most certainly could. He will. I'm almost hoping he doesnt win...the non winners seem to have more creative control.

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ May 5 2011, 04:06 PM)
Sorry for the lack of breakdown this weak. Was busy this morning. Anyway it is probably needless. We all agree Jacob should go home RIGHT?

Agreed. Jacob go home.

Haley and Scott wiped the floor with the others. Lauren was good as well. James the worst next to Jacob. But he'll get the sympathy votes for the crying even though his vocal wasn't that good.

That last song by Haley was amazing "The House of the Rising Sun" - What a voice and a perfect song - By far the best performance this season -

Jacob Needs to go home -

QUOTE (alphseeker @ May 5 2011, 04:17 PM)
That last song by Haley was amazing "The House of the Rising Sun" - What a voice and a perfect song - By far the best performance this season -

Jacob Needs to go home -

I don't even like Haley, frankly she kind of bugs me, but House Of The Rising Sun was amazing ohmy.gif

Okay, I am really missing Simon the last few weeks and would love to hear some better criticism.

Haley weak first song (bad song choice) good second song. In danger tonight after badmouthing the judges somewhat. love the raspiness in her voice but think she fails to connect alot and is always playing to the audience instead of connecting to the song.

Scotty- I still keep saying that his deep range is good and a throwback to old country but his mid-range and normal singing isn't that hot. He's dorky as well and a few times looked like he was contorted or something. Surprised people are buying all this.

James- Great voice obviously but is a tad campy and not hard edged enough to pull off the heavy metal gig. Needs work. Misses alot of notes but that can be fixed with a good producer. Dorkiness probably can't. N one is going to buy his copy of "Love Potion #9"

Lauren- A producer is gonna get ahold of her and she should have a great career. Vastly improving and her young age shows through at times but the voice is there. She has the best "singing" and "sounding" voice of the ones left. Needs work which is why we like to watch the young people grow but still and always was my favorite to win the thing. And well, she's just extremely likeable which means alot.

Not that I watch, but at this juncture, I hope Scott wins if just to replace Clay Aiken as NC's resident Idol winner. The whole "clay mate" bullshit is just embarrassing for my home state.

QUOTE (Running Rebel @ May 12 2011, 10:58 AM)
Okay, I am really missing Simon the last few weeks and would love to hear some better criticism. 

Haley weak first song (bad song choice) good second song.  In danger tonight after badmouthing the judges somewhat.  love the raspiness in her voice but think she fails to connect alot and is always playing to the audience instead of connecting to the song.

Scotty- I still keep saying that his deep range is good and a throwback to old country but his mid-range and normal singing isn't that hot.  He's dorky as well and a few times looked like he was contorted or something.  Surprised people are buying all this.

James- Great voice obviously but is a tad campy and not hard edged enough to pull off the heavy metal gig.  Needs work.  Misses alot of notes but that can be fixed with a good producer.  Dorkiness probably can't.  N one is going to buy his copy of "Love Potion #9"

Lauren- A producer is gonna get ahold of her and she should have a great career.  Vastly improving and her young age shows through at times but the voice is there.  She has the best "singing" and "sounding" voice of the ones left.  Needs work which is why we like to watch the young people grow but still and always was my favorite to win the thing.  And well, she's just extremely likeable which means alot.

QUOTE (RR)
Haley weak first song (bad song choice) good second song.  In danger tonight after badmouthing the judges somewhat.  love the raspiness in her voice but think she fails to connect alot and is always playing to the audience instead of connecting to the song.

Pags - Haley did an exact repeat of what happened last week. Her first song wasn't much to get thrilled about - the judges smear her for it - then she comes back on her 2nd song and sings the ever-living shit out of it. So much so, that it levels the competition flat. She killed last night, good for her.

QUOTE (RR)
Scotty- I still keep saying that his deep range is good and a throwback to old country but his mid-range and normal singing isn't that hot.  He's dorky as well and a few times looked like he was contorted or something.  Surprised people are buying all this.

Pags - Scotty will have a home in Country music, it doesn't matter what happens with Idol. He's already in. I actually think he's very comfortable and natural on stage, that even when he's acting a bit kooky it's okay. Not like Kasey who looks like a mental patient escapee. I've grown to like this guy, a lot.

QUOTE (RR)
James- Great voice obviously but is a tad campy and not hard edged enough to pull off the heavy metal gig.  Needs work.  Misses alot of notes but that can be fixed with a good producer.  Dorkiness probably can't.  N one is going to buy his copy of "Love Potion #9"

Pags - CAMPY! That's the word!! Totally agree, he's not edgy or metal enough to be the rock-god he's shooting to be accepted as. He comes off as... CAMPY! But his voice was very strong last night, and like Randy said with the Olympics - he went for the highest degree of difficulty (with Don't Stop Believing) and he scored huge. The Love Potion #9 thing was... odd.

QUOTE (RR)
Lauren- A producer is gonna get ahold of her and she should have a great career.  Vastly improving and her young age shows through at times but the voice is there.  She has the best "singing" and "sounding" voice of the ones left.  Needs work which is why we like to watch the young people grow but still and always was my favorite to win the thing.  And well, she's just extremely likeable which means alot.

Pags - She's my bathroom break part of the show. I'm sorry. laugh.gif I think she'll have a modest career in the country/rock genre. But as far as her voice and likeability go, she's not that big a deal for me. I find myself doing stuff in the kitchen, or straightening up the room when she's singing. That's not a good thing, I guess.

Steven Tyler (I love that man) has to step up with his critiques on these singers. He's instead being more critical of his fellow judges for their comments, instead of the singers' performances. There have been SO MANY opportunities for a rock-GOD legend like him to really give some heartfelt but straightforward advice, and he's just not doing it. Steven, trust me dude... not all of these performances have been "beautiful".

edited to add funky quote boxes.

Edited by Pags

YES! Thats it...James is fly and all, but not hard edged enough to be metal. But there is a niche for him, and he will have success.

Scotty the Body! what Pags said. He's totally going places.

Haley...meh. Haley whines after the first song then knocks the sh*t out of the second. Ok, good for you, you can stick out your tounge at the judges.

Lauren...yeah, nothin. She's good, but so young. Come back and kick my a** in 5 years. I bet you'll blow the doors down.

Steven Tyler is bored. I dont think he's long for the panel.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 13 2011, 12:32 AM)
James Durbin out?

Are you f*cking kidding me???

Wow, I guess I should never underestimate the stupidity of the American public and their insatiable love of mediocrity. Unf*ckingelievable. wacko.gif comp26.gif waffen093.gif

What did in Twisted Sister in their prime is what did in James. They covered Leader of the Pack. Are you effing kidding me? and yeah exactly man

Love potion #9? Please! Hey it'll be a reason for some rocker fans of AI to go see him on tour.

QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ May 12 2011, 09:51 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 13 2011, 12:32 AM)
James Durbin out?

Wow, I guess I should never underestimate the stupidity of the American public and their insatiable love of mediocrity.  Unf*ckingelievable.  wacko.gif  comp26.gif  waffen093.gif

What did in Twisted Sister in their prime is what did in James. They covered Leader of the Pack. Are you effing kidding me? and yeah exactly man

Love potion #9? Please! Hey it'll be a reason for some rocker fans of AI to go see him on tour.

But he KILLED doing that song! Sure, it wasn't the song Don't Stop Believing was, but look at the 2nd song Scotty did (horrendously stupid song and performance) and the 2nd song that Lauren did (evil? yeah, right). Are you saying those were better than James' second song?

The only thing James did wrong was not be bland and ordinary and fit the craptacular mold of a young pop star that sounds like every other young pop star singing the exact same manufactured music of the lowest common denominator. It's the same thing Casey did wrong - demonstrating actual originality and talent. Now the best 2 people in the competition (by a wide margin) are gone. Congratulations America, you want essentially the same person to win every year, and you're going to get it... again. Enjoy the same shit you always choose. You certainly deserve it.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 12 2011, 11:32 PM)
James Durbin out?

Wow, I guess I should never underestimate the stupidity of the American public and their insatiable love of mediocrity. Unf*ckingelievable. wacko.gif comp26.gif waffen093.gif

Just another reminder of why I've always hated this show. I started watching this season because of James Durbin. One, he's carrying the hard rock/metal flag. Two, he's overcome the tourettes/aspberger's stigma.

I guess my fling with American Idol is now over.

aw damn, it would have totally rocked to see James win!

BUT...his not winning frees him from the AI conglomerate. Daughtry went out from Idol at EXACTLY this juncture, and he's fine. Hell, BETTER than fine. It's gonna work out for James, no worries.

QUOTE (Albone2112 @ May 13 2011, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 12 2011, 11:32 PM)
James Durbin out?

Wow, I guess I should never underestimate the stupidity of the American public and their insatiable love of mediocrity.  Unf*ckingelievable.  wacko.gif  comp26.gif  waffen093.gif

Just another reminder of why I've always hated this show. I started watching this season because of James Durbin. One, he's carrying the hard rock/metal flag. Two, he's overcome the tourettes/aspberger's stigma.

I guess my fling with American Idol is now over.

Just because he didn't win the entire thing doesn't mean wasn't given the opportunity of a lifetime because of this show you hate so much. Look at what they have done for him!!! Where do you think he'd be right now if Idol didn't put him on that stage? He's already a huge success, has worked side-by-side with music legends, and has been put in front of mega millions of people.

Yeah, Idol sucks. sarcasm.gif eyesre4.gif

Wellllll

might still be fun to see how high Haley's skirts go and how much of a dirty ol "f" Steven is

Did you catch him leering at her ass when she did that duet with whats her name?

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

I certainly hope James gets a record deal. Surely someone sees his talent.

But in reality, Country is the hot ticket these days. Especially if it sounds like Southern Rock.

Well, I'm done with this stupid ass show. It's nothing but a popularity contest. No way either James or Casey should be out at this point.

I honestly don't know why people think James and Kasey were all that great. I like James, not trying to put him down - but this is, before anything else, a singing competition. I don't think either one of them could out-sing the others. Regardless of their unique style, or their incredible range - they couldn't sustain solid performances like the others have been.

If you close your eyes and just listen to James sing, there are so many times the dude misses the note he was shooting for. It's overlooked because of on-stage explosions, overpowering music, a piano that catches on-fire, or that everything makes him cry. Really, I do like the guy, and wish him great things - but he's not the rock-god that he's trying to be. He's just not. I love what he brought to the show, and I also understand there is a lot more to performing that just singing. But if you can't sustain, I don't care what you blow up on stage, it won't last.

And Kasey, as unique as he is, is just plain scary. He does edge into the realm of great singers like Joe Cocker and John Fogerty, but not nearly enough to be considered at their level. Not even close.

I get it - I don't see myself waiting for the record release of the remaining 3. But I won't be either with James or Kasey.

And btw - you can't blame the show. America votes, not Idol. Idol put these people there in the first place, and the judges are as upset to see them voted off as you are. Don't blame idol. Thank them for at least giving these folks a stage to sing on, and an audience of millions to try and win over.