• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#21 D3strukt

D3strukt

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2489 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:10 AM

Exactly. I still love the man, but I miss the days when he had more good days, than bad.
Though he HAS sounded good on some shows this tour. Best one I have heard so far is Camden, he just kills it on that show. Whereas, Los Angeles I think it was, he was dud, specifically on Faithless (lots of flat notes.) and Presto.

The only problem I really have this tour, is why he's failing so bad on the new stuff. He sounds nothing like he did studio wise.

Sponsored Post

#22 Tick

Tick

Mr: 26,000!!!

• Members *
  • 26346 posts
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:50 AM

Geddy was never a great live singer at any point in his career IMO, so although he is naturally losing a bit due to aging, its not that bad. He is not shot by any means. I think Rush sounds great these days. You want to hear a shot singer, go to an Ozzy concert.

#23 Necromancer

Necromancer

Will caption for food

• Members *
  • 17939 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (tick @ Sep 13 2010, 07:50 AM)
Geddy was never a great live singer at any point in his career IMO, so although he is naturally losing a bit due to aging, its not that bad. He is not shot by any means. I think Rush sounds great these days. You want to hear a shot singer, go to an Ozzy concert.

Ozzy was criticized for using the backing track to layer his vocals live.  I think he stopped using it.  I had no problem with it.  When I seen him at Ozzfest in 2006 (i think), he sounded great, but he had the backing track.  It helped.  

Geddy may want to consider this.  

#24 FoxxiStarr

FoxxiStarr

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1316 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:09 AM

Thought this might help - as someone who has sung from age 11 in choirs etc, I KNOW this has happened to me. Probably the same for Ged.

The "true vocal folds" are also called inferior vocal folds or inner folds. The inner folds are made up of elastic fibers that help make sounds when air is forced between the cords of the larnyx. When we want to talk, the folds vibrate from the air we exhale. The inside muscles of the larynx attach to the cartilages and vocal folds and contract to change the position of the vocal cords and vibrate to make the sound waves. The thyroid cartilage is what protects the vocal cords.

Our vocal cords are moved by muscles which can make the vocal cords tight or loose. The tighter the cord is, the higher the voice is. The cords get less elastic, and are unable to perform as they do in a younger person. The voice changes.

Personally I thik Geddy's voice has improved tonally through the years. It has a real warmth to it now compared to the early years.

#25 Tick

Tick

Mr: 26,000!!!

• Members *
  • 26346 posts
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Sep 13 2010, 08:03 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Sep 13 2010, 07:50 AM)

Ozzy was criticized for using the backing track to layer his vocals live.  I think he stopped using it.  I had no problem with it.  When I seen him at Ozzfest in 2006 (i think), he sounded great, but he had the backing track.  It helped.  

Geddy may want to consider this.

Good move on Ozzy's part. When I saw him on his first solo tour with Randy his didn't sound very good. I have heard many live recording where he sounded bad. In a studio however, he is gold!

#26 Clue69Less

Clue69Less

The Seeker

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (Kugel @ Sep 12 2010, 10:04 AM)
This tour has been my favorite vocally since he switched approaches, so probably since the Presto tour.  The resonance has increased a lot and he's started to be able to get that WHILE enunciating the lyrics, which seems to be an ongoing issue.

Excellent post, Kugel.  Now please go get me that piece of crap in the basement - I need to turn back the clock so I can hear again all those early performances where the mics and PAs that were used by Rush were not up to the task and they coupled with small arena acoustics to produce those odd tones that burned the tiny hairs off my earlobes.

I've only seen two shows from this tour and I love the body and tone Geddy is getting.  I booted both shows that we saw and I've listened to them many times (while comparing to other boots and commercial live recordings).  They all confirm what I heard live this tour: Geddy did miss a note here and there.  On the 8/16 Red Rocks show, he had a pretty good first set but seemed to come out a little cold for the second before hitting his stride and kicking serious ass.  On the 8/18 show, his voice was fresher and had more power but he wasn't perfect.  But I thought - in total - that he sounded really excellent.  The 8/18 show was the single best show I've seen, all things considered.  And I've seen a few shows "back in the day" that were virtually perfect from the technical point of view, but they were a tad sterile, maybe too serious.  So I'll take the warts I'm hearing now and gladly accept them in order to hear the body and soul and to get wrapped up in the joy.

#27 glover

glover

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:15 AM

I saw Rush July 5th in Chicago and Geddy sounded better than ever to me...  He was nailing it...

#28 NeilBeart

NeilBeart

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Sep 12 2010, 07:36 PM)
What a bunch of horse manure! 

Grow up!

Hare  biggrin.gif

Agreed.  Keep it in perspective.  

Yes, they are ALL aging but still put on an incredible show.  The songs are much more complex (vocally/instrumentally) than other bands that still perform past their 50s & 60s.  That feat alone is pretty incredible!

Geddy amazed me with his high-energy at the Chicago show.  Jumping all over the place and in sync with the music:

(around 0:50)

I hope that they continue rocking for at least another decade!

2.gif  

#29 Kugel

Kugel

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:27 AM

uh, sorry, I'm not actually here.  Forget you saw this.  ;P  Sorry.

Edited by Kugel, 13 September 2010 - 11:28 AM.

#30 bruggy66

bruggy66

The Seeker

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:35 AM

I'm not a vocal expert, but I thought he sounded great at the PNC in New Jersey a few weeks ago.  People do get older, and their voices change.  If you listen to some of the early interviews with Geddy, his speaking voice has even deepened quite a bit.  As Rush fans, I think we all (myself included) get a bit carried away at times with our expectations of this band.  They are in their late 50's, and as a result, they are going to get tired sometimes, or have an "off night", or not feel well.  I'm 43 and I was exhausted just standing and enjoying the show for 3 hours.  

My attitude is that I'm just going to enjoy them for as long as I can.  They are still  one of the best live bands around, and they actually play BETTER than they did 20 years ago.  It's pretty amazing to watch.

#31 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Sphere

• Members
  • 9817 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

He's definitely more hit and miss these days. He still does a good job given his age though. I saw them twice this tour and it didn't sound to me like he had any problem at the Saratoga Springs show. At the Syracuse show it sounded to my like he struggled a bit on TOS and CTTH.

His range an abilities have diminished quite a bit but he still has a good voice. I think what he's done for the last 25 years or so comes more natural to him than how he sang in the 70s. I prefer that to what he did in the 70s.

#32 Jomboni

Jomboni

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:13 AM

I'm not a singer but from what I can tell, while his range has diminished and he can't hit the high notes so much these days, he's much more consistent at hitting the notes that are still in his range, than he was in the past.  

#33 Mystic Slipperman

Mystic Slipperman

From Genesis to Armageddon

• Members
  • 3139 posts
  • Interests:Playing and writing music.

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

He had trouble with one particular song in LA and a little trouble with a different song in Irvine.  Other than that I thought Ged sounded great.

Over the years I have heard him have consistency issues, but it usually revolved around particular songs (Hemi Prelude in 1994 anyone?) where some nights it was no problem and others were clearly a challenge.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman, 14 September 2010 - 10:21 AM.

#34 OldRod

OldRod

The Seeker

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

As an old Jedi Master once told me:  When old as he you are... sing as good you will not!

biggrin.gif

He sounded great at KC - just like every other tour.  In fact, I think he sounds better today than he did the first time I saw them live.

#35 1974FAN

1974FAN

The Seeker

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Interests:College football & basketball. Time with my daughter. Making sure I have fun everyday. Living life to the fullest.

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

WADDYA NUTS!?!?!?

#36 metaldad

metaldad

Official TRF Chauffeur

• Members
  • 17164 posts
  • Interests:hanging out with my Wife, son and 2 girls . playing Drums , Beer, going to shows, Beer , Cooking , Beer , watching football , Beer , watching baseball, Beer , cranking Metal and Beer

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:08 AM

He had no problem at the 3 shows i saw

#37 Pound of Obscure

Pound of Obscure

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1577 posts
  • Interests:Drums, basketball, P90X/Insanity

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Sep 13 2010, 03:17 AM)
he's pretty damn sexy to boot!  drool1.gif  laugh.gif

wtf.gif  rofl3.gif  

#38 GeminiRising79

GeminiRising79

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2707 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:48 PM

He should get that Lotusland guy to hide behind the stage to hit those notes.

#39 thing2jordan

thing2jordan

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1335 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Sep 15 2010, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Sep 13 2010, 03:17 AM)
he's pretty damn sexy to boot!  drool1.gif  laugh.gif

wtf.gif  rofl3.gif

It's a Ged-Gal thing. You wouldn't understand.  wink.gif  

#40 Jomboni

Jomboni

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:35 PM

He could keep 4 or 5 helium baloons on strings somewhere on his side of the stage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users