Geddy's voice...

MainMonkey

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiliFan @ Sep 13 2010, 04:52 AM)
I think it's not so much his voice going, as his voice becoming less reliable. He can still hit the notes perfectly on a good day, but he has more off-days than in the past.

Doesn't make him any less enjoyable to listen to though!

That's a better way of putting it. I mean the man can still sing freewill. That's gotta count for something. And look where Ozzy and Daltrey are tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif!!!

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Nov 5 2010, 05:42 PM)
the worst I've ever heard him is on the Atlanta 08 songs from S&A Live

I think the vocals on the live recordings of the last many years suffer a little from having been made at the very end of long tours.

At the Omaha, NE show (Qwest Center) his voice was definitely struggling on a couple of songs, but I agree that considering his age, he's still got it. And I'm sure we've all noticed that over time they've written songs that are written lower and lower. That's, unfortunately, just human nature and aging process.

In his defense, he could sing higher back then than I can now, and I'm a girl who generally sings Soprano II or Alto I. I can't hit those notes at the end of "Cygnus X-I" to save my life. :P

This makes me wonder whether anything can be done about it. I was listening to 2112 today and kind of miss Geddy singing like that -- although I also really enjoy Geddy's mid-range stuff as much (e.g. Subdivisions).

Maybe there is a kind of vocal exercise or something along with some hot tea :-)

I bet Geddy can still hit some of those notes but the risk of his voice cracking is too much to risk during concerts.

Haven't posted here, so I'll give my .02 worth-

I think his voice is fine. It's nowhere near what it used to be, but it's still good enough.

I can kind of sing like Geddy, and I have no problems with it. Yes, I know, I haven't been singing as long as he has or near the amount of times he has to.

In my opinion, it's 100% up to him to decide when his voice has had enough. If he thinks it's good to go, it's good to go.

yeah I think it's easy to ignore his cracking voice when you're watching them live and in the middle of the loudness and excitement, but when you sit down and listen to a recording it's a different story. Geddy's old, his voice will just keep getting worse... but at least the rest of him seems to be working good.