Eating well

GhostGirl

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 12 2010, 03:52 PM)
suddenly my breakfast burrito feels like a giant rock my stomach.

And so it should. tongue.gif

If you come in this thread, we're going to try to healthify you!

(Patent pending on "healthify.")

You can make great breakfast burritos that are good for you with just a little cooking. yes.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 12 2010, 05:19 PM)
I thought I'd post some foods I enjoy - not recipes necessarily, but just snacks that I really like.

If you like yogurt, try Greek yogurt. It's so thick and really yummy.

I love these little muffin tops for desserts or quick breakfasts - all natural, no refined sugar, but REALLY good. I mean, husband-and-kid-eat-them-before-you-can good - VitaTops. www.vitalicious.com

Laughing Cow cheeses - all different flavors, very rich and creamy; great on crackers or veggies.

That's it for now. I was eating some Oikos yogurt and thought of this thread. biggrin.gif

Please don't tell me you are a "Hungry Girl" follower. . .she's so obsessed with calories and fat gram counts that she makes some insane substitutions and boy, does she ever love the processed food! (I also can't stand the cutesy tone of her blog).

I just any old rubbish and as much of it as I like, just like back in the 70s and 80s. Works for me, I still weigh 155lbs...like back in the 80s...

Come on and try the treeduck diet plan, you know it makes sense!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 12 2010, 02:55 PM)

You can make great breakfast burritos that are good for you with just a little cooking. yes.gif

My sister in law recently made me a delicious breakfast burrito and I said "this is good what's in this?" and she responded "Spam". 062802puke_prv.gif no joke.

I did do a 3 day fruit fast/colon cleanse thing earlier this week and it felt good, and then what do I do when it's done? wolf down a breakfast burrito with egg, sausage, cheese and potatoes.

Would you mind sharing the healthly alternative? smile.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 12 2010, 04:17 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 12 2010, 05:19 PM)
I thought I'd post some foods I enjoy - not recipes necessarily, but just snacks that I really like.

If you like yogurt, try Greek yogurt.  It's so thick and really yummy.

I love these little muffin tops for desserts or quick breakfasts - all natural, no refined sugar, but REALLY good.  I mean, husband-and-kid-eat-them-before-you-can good - VitaTops.  www.vitalicious.com

Laughing Cow cheeses - all different flavors, very rich and creamy; great on crackers or veggies.

That's it for now.  I was eating some Oikos yogurt and thought of this thread. biggrin.gif

Please don't tell me you are a "Hungry Girl" follower. . .she's so obsessed with calories and fat gram counts that she makes some insane substitutions and boy, does she ever love the processed food! (I also can't stand the cutesy tone of her blog).

No, I'm not a follower. I have gotten some recipes from the website. A Facebook friend told me about Laughing Cow, and another website had an ad for VitaTops. The HG stuff can be over the top, and heavy on processed stuff, you're right. But it's not all bad.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Mar 12 2010, 05:30 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 12 2010, 02:55 PM)

My sister in law recently made me a delicious breakfast burrito and I said "this is good what's in this?" and she responded "Spam". 062802puke_prv.gif no joke.

I did do a 3 day fruit fast/colon cleanse thing earlier this week and it felt good, and then what do I do when it's done? wolf down a breakfast burrito with egg, sausage, cheese and potatoes.

Would you mind sharing the healthly alternative? smile.gif

Well, for starters use egg whites, or one whole egg plus an egg white...use veggies and mushrooms to make it more filling. You can add some potatoes (baked and cut up) if you like - and use a whole-wheat tortilla. Use very sharp cheese so you only need a little.

It'll taste good. (Better than Spam... *retch*)

smile.gif

For lunch I'm having some leftover whole wheat pasta with some leftover balsamic mushroom chicken, tossed with about a tablespoon of shredded parm and some olive oil. YUM.

I weighed in today - lost 2.2 lb for a total of 18.8. bncegrn.gif

(My online WW tools told me that I'm losing too fast - this week was a bit of a fluke...most of the time I've lost about 1 lb. per week.)

Do you guys know how awesome Grapefruits are? Not ONLY are they amazing to maintain a healthy heart and circulation but:

Eating grapefruit can benefit weight loss in many ways. They are low in calories, low in sodium, high in potassium and high in fat burning enzymes. These can benefit weight loss in different ways. The low calories means we can eat grapefruit freely without consuming too many calories. A low sodium intake helps flush away excess water weight caused from high sodium foods. And, the enzymes present in grapefruit help increase fat burning.

Another positive benefit of eating grapefruit is the high water content. Grapefruits are almost 90 percent water. Eating any fruit with a high water content helps boost water ingestion and research has shown that increasing water consumption can give more energy and help increase the metabolism. Many people are discovering the benefits of eating high water foods like grapefruit and many other fruits for help in losing weight.

http://www.weightlossforall.com/benefits-e...-grapefruit.htm

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 13 2010, 03:15 PM)
Do you guys know how awesome Grapefruits are? Not ONLY are they amazing to maintain a healthy heart and circulation but:

Eating grapefruit can benefit weight loss in many ways. They are low in calories, low in sodium, high in potassium and high in fat burning enzymes. These can benefit weight loss in different ways. The low calories means we can eat grapefruit freely without consuming too many calories. A low sodium intake helps flush away excess water weight caused from high sodium foods. And, the enzymes present in grapefruit help increase fat burning.

Another positive benefit of eating grapefruit is the high water content. Grapefruits are almost 90 percent water. Eating any fruit with a high water content helps boost water ingestion and research has shown that increasing water consumption can give more energy and help increase the metabolism. Many people are discovering the benefits of eating high water foods like grapefruit and many other fruits for help in losing weight.

I love grapefruit. You have to be careful if you're on any medications, though, because grapefruit interferes with a lot of stuff and renders it ineffective. (I think that applies mainly to anti-seizure meds and some anti-depressants, not sure though).

You can broil it with a little brown sugar - very tasty! Watch it carefully, though, because the smell of burnt grapefruit is NASTY!

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 13 2010, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 13 2010, 03:15 PM)
Do you guys know how awesome Grapefruits are?  Not ONLY are they amazing to maintain a healthy heart and circulation but:

I love grapefruit. You have to be careful if you're on any medications, though, because grapefruit interferes with a lot of stuff and renders it ineffective. (I think that applies mainly to anti-seizure meds and some anti-depressants, not sure though).

You can broil it with a little brown sugar - very tasty! Watch it carefully, though, because the smell of burnt grapefruit is NASTY!

Ya I couldnt have it when I was on medications because grapefruit juice blocks special enzymes in the wall of the small intestine that actually destroys many medications and prevents their absorption into the body. Which means smaller amounts of the drugs get into the body than are ingested. When the action of this enzyme is blocked, more of the drugs get into the body and the blood levels of these medications increase. This can lead to toxic side effects from the medication possibly leading to kidney failure.

The most severe side effects occur mainly with medications for Depression, high blood pressure, impotence, cholesterol, cancer and other pain medications.

But last year when I was diagnosed with Idiopathic thromobocytopenic purpura or (ITP) my doctor prescribed a daily dose of grapefruit as well as anything else citrus I could. Good thing I was off medication at the time.

I have a hard time eating really balanced meals because I am picky when it comes to vegetables - there is a LOT I don't care for. I like broccoli okay, but prefer the frozen because the fresh stuff can be tough. I used to like squash and was pretty creative with it, but OD'd on it a few years back when I was staying at my mom's before, during, and after 2 hip surgeries. People kept giving her squash and zucchini and we had it every. Single. Meal. I do like spinach, but husband hates it with a passion. I love peas, but supposedly those "don't count" nutritionally. Cauliflower is pretty good. I like bell peppers, but they do not like me. HATE carrots.

I like pretty much all fruit except for any kind of melon.

So, I am bad to eat an awful lot of protein. I am addicted to protein shakes made with soy milk and that's breakfast every morning. Very often it is also dinner if I can't figure out what to cook or don't feel like doing so. And I love meat, though I do generally opt for the low fat cuts.

Any ideas here for the finicky among us? Surely I am not the only one. Moms? I bet you have some ideas!

I've just tried a turkey burger for first time (on whole wheat bun with lettuce tomato, onions and mustard....pretty good actually. I need lots of fibre so it was a great source of it (as well as protein).

It was really good after I grilled it on the Foreman Grill.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 13 2010, 05:18 PM)
I have a hard time eating really balanced meals because I am picky when it comes to vegetables - there is a LOT I don't care for.  I like broccoli okay, but prefer the frozen because the fresh stuff can be tough.  I used to like squash and was pretty creative with it, but OD'd on it a few years back when I was staying at my mom's before, during, and after 2 hip surgeries.  People kept giving her squash and zucchini and we had it every. Single. Meal.  I do like spinach, but husband hates it with a passion.  I love peas, but supposedly those "don't count" nutritionally.  Cauliflower is pretty good.  I like bell peppers, but they do not like me.  HATE carrots.

So, I am bad to eat an awful lot of protein.  I am addicted to protein shakes made with soy milk and that's breakfast every morning.  Very often it is also dinner if I can't figure out what to cook or don't feel like doing so.  And I love meat, though I do generally opt for the low fat cuts.

Any ideas here for the finicky among us?  Surely I am not the only one.  Moms?  I bet you have some ideas!

Well here's one idea, V8 juice, if tomatoes are o.k. for you.

And then there is my mother's favorite trick.

Zip all those hated vegetables in the blender until they are unrecognizable, and add them to meatloaf. My brother hated everything. He never knew that he had his hated veggies in the meatloaf.

My boyfriend will eat some things if he doesn't know he's eating them, like bell pepper(I use red or yellow).

Try onion, tomato, , summer squash, basil for an italian flavor.

If you love spinach, try other greens, collard, mustard, etc. (you're in the south, I take it you know what greens are).

I love my veggies. The 3 veggies I hate though are: green bell peppers, saurkraut and okra. yuck.

but I'll eat just about anything else.

edited to say: turkey burgers, turkey brats, and turkey italian sausages are all awesome!

Edited by nettiesaur

I made Corned Beef Ruebens for dinner. Probably not very healthy but they were delicious.

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Mar 14 2010, 06:58 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 13 2010, 05:18 PM)
I have a hard time eating really balanced meals because I am picky when it comes to vegetables - there is a LOT I don't care for.  I like broccoli okay, but prefer the frozen because the fresh stuff can be tough.  I used to like squash and was pretty creative with it, but OD'd on it a few years back when I was staying at my mom's before, during, and after 2 hip surgeries.  People kept giving her squash and zucchini and we had it every. Single. Meal.  I do like spinach, but husband hates it with a passion.  I love peas, but supposedly those "don't count" nutritionally.  Cauliflower is pretty good.  I like bell peppers, but they do not like me.  HATE carrots.

So, I am bad to eat an awful lot of protein.  I am addicted to protein shakes made with soy milk and that's breakfast every morning.  Very often it is also dinner if I can't figure out what to cook or don't feel like doing so.  And I love meat, though I do generally opt for the low fat cuts.

Any ideas here for the finicky among us?  Surely I am not the only one.  Moms?  I bet you have some ideas!

Well here's one idea, V8 juice, if tomatoes are o.k. for you.

And then there is my mother's favorite trick.

Zip all those hated vegetables in the blender until they are unrecognizable, and add them to meatloaf. My brother hated everything. He never knew that he had his hated veggies in the meatloaf.

My boyfriend will eat some things if he doesn't know he's eating them, like bell pepper(I use red or yellow).

Try onion, tomato, , summer squash, basil for an italian flavor.

If you love spinach, try other greens, collard, mustard, etc. (you're in the south, I take it you know what greens are).

I love my veggies. The 3 veggies I hate though are: green bell peppers, saurkraut and okra. yuck.

but I'll eat just about anything else.

edited to say: turkey burgers, turkey brats, and turkey italian sausages are all awesome!

Good ideas on both, esp. the meatloaf! I used to hate V8 Juice but haven't tried it in a while. I do love good tomatoes - I'll eat really good ripe ones like apples.

Greens? 062802puke_prv.gif Spinach is pretty much it!

I usually pass on the turkey burgers; they're good, but very often you get less fat by using really lean ground beef. It's the ground turkey breast that has the low fat content, and it's hard to get it to hold together for a burger. Plus it's $$$. Turkey sausage is good too, but turkey bacon is a big fat FAIL!

Edited by Mara

Now that I am living truly on my own, I have made changes in the way I eat.

Now, I love my mother and love that yes, even at 25, 26 years of age when I lived home, she would cook me dinner. But she would make some pretty unhealthy stuff sometimes, mainly packaged rice mixes and stuff. Things I like to eat but know are no good. no.gif

I am trying not to eat carbs at dinner and if I do, it's brown rice or something whole wheat. I had pasta last night (yes all carbs, contradictory I know) but it was whole wheat and with really good italian sauce from an independent market. No Ragu or crap like that.

Tonight I put some olive oil in a pan over the stove with a couple chicken tenders rubbed with spices and rubs (I LOVE SPICES!!!). I layered them over baby spinach and greens and drizzled with a dressing made of olive oil, red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar (salt +pepper). I could have added some veggies in there but I was lazy tonight.. laugh.gif

I do want to say while some more "natural" things might be higher in fat and whatnot, I feel it's better than a lot of artificial stuff out there. Take for example butter. High in fat, yes but have you looked at the ingredients in basic butter compared to something "healthy" like Smart Balance? SB has all these chemicals, but it's better for you?? I really wonder.. I mean, I'm not eating sticks of butter but a pat on some whole-wheat toast keeps me more satisfied than fake shit.

I think eating healthy is also about being treated once in a while too. Sometimes, you just need some f*cking chocolate cake. One piece, not the whole thing and not for days in a row, but one and why not put some real ice cream on it? Moderation is SO key for weight loss, weight maintenance and general health IMO.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Mar 18 2010, 08:26 PM)
Oh and seriously? I have an obsession with fresh green beans. LOVE.

I am SO hyped with spring coming. My diet will be about 2/3 fresh fruits and veggies in the summer and spring. Dallas has an oustanding Farmers Market that we'll go to maybe every two weeks. We have a local FM, too. But, it tends to be pricy. This is what I like most about living in a warm climate.

Also, Jill, I took your advise to heart. I took a walk before I picked up lunch, and I got a little extra something to add a few calories. I've also cut my caffeine intake, seriously, by about 2/3. I'm drinking a lot more water. All of my cute clothes are for the warm weather, and I'm not putting this body in those clothes!!!!!! no.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 19 2010, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Mar 18 2010, 08:26 PM)
Oh and seriously?  I have an obsession with fresh green beans.  LOVE.

I am SO hyped with spring coming. My diet will be about 2/3 fresh fruits and veggies in the summer and spring. Dallas has an oustanding Farmers Market that we'll go to maybe every two weeks. We have a local FM, too. But, it tends to be pricy. This is what I like most about living in a warm climate.

Also, Jill, I took your advise to heart. I took a walk before I picked up lunch, and I got a little extra something to add a few calories. I've also cut my caffeine intake, seriously, by about 2/3. I'm drinking a lot more water. All of my cute clothes are for the warm weather, and I'm not putting this body in those clothes!!!!!! no.gif

Good for you!

I had a complete birthday binge of sugary sweets and drinks all day yesterday. As a result, I feel like I weight 350lbs this morning.

I just discovered a great alternative to potato chips. Really.

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/usr/1/12981/TerraOriginal.jpg

They have quite a variet too. I have a bag of the 'Sweet Potato & Carrot Chips' in the pantry for when I want something potato-chippy. 13 chips have 150 calories and 9 grams of fat. They have one variety that has dried beets and I kid you not, they're good! Stores usually carry them in their health food section if you're interested in trying them.

QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 22 2010, 11:36 AM)

They have quite a variet too. I have a bag of the 'Sweet Potato & Carrot Chips' in the pantry for when I want something potato-chippy. 13 chips have 150 calories and 9 grams of fat. They have one variety that has dried beets and I kid you not, they're good! Stores usually carry them in their health food section if you're interested in trying them.

Can I say how much I LOVE the Stacy's pita chips? So good with hummus. Only trouble is you can't eat them while watching TV - they are too loud!

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 22 2010, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 22 2010, 11:36 AM)

Can I say how much I LOVE the Stacy's pita chips? So good with hummus. Only trouble is you can't eat them while watching TV - they are too loud!

I got a free bag of Stacy's pita chips in the mail when they first launched the product line. They sent them out to everyone they could find named Stacy! The most brilliant marketing strategy EVER! I don't know how they're priced up in Georgia, but down here, they're way to expensive for me.

Hummus must be an acquired taste. I had it once, and now the thought of it makes me gag. Blech!!!!!