Eating well

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#41 Tick

Tick

Mr: 26,000!!!

• Members *
  • 26537 posts
  • Interests:I like big butts and i cannot lie, you other brothers cant deny !....oh sorry, lost my mind for a minute.

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

I made Corned Beef Ruebens for dinner. Probably not very healthy but they were delicious.

Sponsored Post

#42 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25530 posts
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Mar 14 2010, 06:58 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 13 2010, 05:18 PM)
I have a hard time eating really balanced meals because I am picky when it comes to vegetables - there is a LOT I don't care for.  I like broccoli okay, but prefer the frozen because the fresh stuff can be tough.  I used to like squash and was pretty creative with it, but OD'd on it a few years back when I was staying at my mom's before, during, and after 2 hip surgeries.  People kept giving her squash and zucchini and we had it every. Single. Meal.  I do like spinach, but husband hates it with a passion.  I love peas, but supposedly those "don't count" nutritionally.  Cauliflower is pretty good.  I like bell peppers, but they do not like me.  HATE carrots.
I like pretty much all fruit except for any kind of melon. 

So, I am bad to eat an awful lot of protein.  I am addicted to protein shakes made with soy milk and that's breakfast every morning.  Very often it is also dinner if I can't figure out what to cook or don't feel like doing so.  And I love meat, though I do generally opt for the low fat cuts.

Any ideas here for the finicky among us?  Surely I am not the only one.  Moms?  I bet you have some ideas!

Well here's one idea, V8 juice, if tomatoes are o.k. for you.

And then there is my mother's favorite trick.
Zip all those hated vegetables in the blender until they are unrecognizable, and add them to meatloaf.  My brother hated everything. He never knew that he had his hated veggies in the meatloaf.
My boyfriend will eat some things if he doesn't know he's eating them, like bell pepper(I use red or yellow).

Try onion, tomato, , summer squash, basil for an italian flavor.

If you love spinach, try other greens, collard, mustard, etc. (you're in the south, I take it you know what greens are).

I love my veggies. The 3 veggies I hate though are: green bell peppers, saurkraut and okra. yuck.
but I'll eat just about anything else.

edited to say: turkey burgers, turkey brats, and turkey italian sausages are all awesome!

Good ideas on both, esp. the meatloaf!  I used to hate V8 Juice but haven't tried it in a while.  I do love good tomatoes - I'll eat really good ripe ones like apples.
Greens?  062802puke_prv.gif   Spinach is pretty much it!  

I usually pass on the turkey burgers; they're good, but very often you get less fat by using really lean ground beef.   It's the ground turkey breast that has the low fat content, and it's hard to get it to hold together for a burger.   Plus it's $$$. Turkey sausage is good too, but turkey bacon is a big fat FAIL!

Edited by Mara, 14 March 2010 - 06:21 PM.

#43 Janie

Janie

Rush Caption Queen

• Members *
  • 16549 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 13 2010, 04:18 PM)
I have a hard time eating really balanced meals because I am picky when it comes to vegetables - there is a LOT I don't care for.  I like broccoli okay, but prefer the frozen because the fresh stuff can be tough.  I used to like squash and was pretty creative with it, but OD'd on it a few years back when I was staying at my mom's before, during, and after 2 hip surgeries.  People kept giving her squash and zucchini and we had it every. Single. Meal.  I do like spinach, but husband hates it with a passion.  I love peas, but supposedly those "don't count" nutritionally.  Cauliflower is pretty good.  I like bell peppers, but they do not like me.  HATE carrots.
I like pretty much all fruit except for any kind of melon.  

So, I am bad to eat an awful lot of protein.  I am addicted to protein shakes made with soy milk and that's breakfast every morning.  Very often it is also dinner if I can't figure out what to cook or don't feel like doing so.  And I love meat, though I do generally opt for the low fat cuts.

Any ideas here for the finicky among us?  Surely I am not the only one.  Moms?  I bet you have some ideas!

I don't have too many tricks but here's one (similar to nettie's). When I make spaghetti sauce, I start by sautéing carrots, zucchini and mushrooms (all diced very small) along with onions and garlic. Then I go on to finish the sauce which I then put in the fridge for a day because it's so much better when the flavors have a chance to marry and intensify. The husband is one of the pickiest eaters I know. I can't even let him know that I sneak in carrots and zucchini like this. I feel so dirty.  tongue.gif

When I make a stew I always use beef, carrots and yams (the more yellow potato, NOT the bright orange sweet potato). It's a pretty decent way to try carrots Mara.

One of  my favorite ways to prepare sweet potatoes is to boil them until tender then slice about 1" thick and then pan fry them in just a little veggie oil. Then I finish them by adding a splash of apple cider vinegar to the hot pan for a few minutes or so and top each medallion with some brown sugar.

For broccoli, I always use fresh and then steam it until I can pierce the stalk easily with a knife. One way I like to prepare it is by then tossing it with some butter (a little never hurt anybody), garlic and some soy sauce. Makes it pretty yummy that way.

So... I guess these weren't exactly sneaky ways to hide veggies but more of, here is a tasty way to try this veggie.

#44 iluvgeddy05

iluvgeddy05

Dances With Torn Sweater

• Members
  • 9518 posts
  • Interests:running, shopping, wine and good beer, good friends.

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:25 PM

Now that I am living truly on my own, I have made changes in the way I eat.

Now, I love my mother and love that yes, even at 25, 26 years of age when I lived home, she would cook me dinner.  But she would make some pretty unhealthy stuff sometimes, mainly packaged rice mixes and stuff.  Things I like to eat but know are no good.  no.gif  

I am trying not to eat carbs at dinner and if I do, it's brown rice or something whole wheat.  I had pasta last night (yes all carbs, contradictory I know) but it was whole wheat and with really good italian sauce from an independent market.  No Ragu or crap like that.

Tonight I put some olive oil in a pan over the stove with a couple chicken tenders rubbed with spices and rubs (I LOVE SPICES!!!).  I layered them over baby spinach and greens and drizzled with a dressing made of olive oil, red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar (salt +pepper).  I could have added some veggies in there but I was lazy tonight.. laugh.gif

I do want to say while some more "natural" things might be higher in fat and whatnot, I feel it's better than a lot of artificial stuff out there.  Take for example butter.  High in fat, yes but have you looked at the ingredients in basic butter compared to something "healthy" like Smart Balance?  SB has all these chemicals, but it's better for you??  I really wonder..  I mean, I'm not eating sticks of butter but a pat on some whole-wheat toast keeps me more satisfied than fake shit.

I think eating healthy is also about being treated once in a while too.  Sometimes, you just need some f*cking chocolate cake.  One piece, not the whole thing and not for days in a row, but one and why not put some real ice cream on it?  Moderation is SO key for weight loss, weight maintenance and general health IMO.  

#45 iluvgeddy05

iluvgeddy05

Dances With Torn Sweater

• Members
  • 9518 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:26 PM

Oh and seriously?  I have an obsession with fresh green beans.  LOVE.

#46 sullysue

sullysue

Arriving Somewhere...

• Members *
  • 16079 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Mar 18 2010, 08:26 PM)
Oh and seriously?  I have an obsession with fresh green beans.  LOVE.

I am SO hyped with spring coming. My diet will be about 2/3 fresh fruits and veggies in the summer and spring. Dallas has an oustanding Farmers Market that we'll go to maybe every two weeks. We have a local FM, too. But, it tends to be pricy. This is what I like most about living in a warm climate.

Also, Jill, I took your advise to heart. I took a walk before I picked up lunch, and I got a little extra something to add a few calories. I've also cut my caffeine intake, seriously, by about 2/3. I'm drinking a lot more water. All of my cute clothes are for the warm weather, and I'm not putting this body in those clothes!!!!!!  no.gif  

#47 iluvgeddy05

iluvgeddy05

Dances With Torn Sweater

• Members
  • 9518 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 19 2010, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Mar 18 2010, 08:26 PM)
Oh and seriously?  I have an obsession with fresh green beans.  LOVE.

I am SO hyped with spring coming. My diet will be about 2/3 fresh fruits and veggies in the summer and spring. Dallas has an oustanding Farmers Market that we'll go to maybe every two weeks. We have a local FM, too. But, it tends to be pricy. This is what I like most about living in a warm climate.

Also, Jill, I took your advise to heart. I took a walk before I picked up lunch, and I got a little extra something to add a few calories. I've also cut my caffeine intake, seriously, by about 2/3. I'm drinking a lot more water. All of my cute clothes are for the warm weather, and I'm not putting this body in those clothes!!!!!!  no.gif

Good for you!

I had a complete birthday binge of sugary sweets and drinks all day yesterday. As a result, I feel like I weight 350lbs this morning.

#48 Janie

Janie

Rush Caption Queen

• Members *
  • 16549 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:36 AM

I just discovered a great alternative to potato chips. Really.

user posted image

They have quite a variet too. I have a bag of the 'Sweet Potato & Carrot Chips' in the pantry for when I want something potato-chippy. 13 chips have 150 calories and 9 grams of fat. They have one variety that has dried beets and I kid you not, they're good! Stores usually carry them in their health food section if you're interested in trying them.

#49 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25530 posts
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 22 2010, 11:36 AM)

user posted image

They have quite a variet too. I have a bag of the 'Sweet Potato & Carrot Chips' in the pantry for when I want something potato-chippy. 13 chips have 150 calories and 9 grams of fat. They have one variety that has dried beets and I kid you not, they're good! Stores usually carry them in their health food section if you're interested in trying them.

Can I say how much I LOVE the Stacy's pita chips?  So good with hummus. Only trouble is you can't eat them while watching TV - they are too loud!  

#50 sullysue

sullysue

Arriving Somewhere...

• Members *
  • 16079 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 22 2010, 10:47 AM)

user posted image

Can I say how much I LOVE the Stacy's pita chips?  So good with hummus. Only trouble is you can't eat them while watching TV - they are too loud!

I got a free bag of Stacy's pita chips in the mail when they first launched the product line. They sent them out to everyone they could find named Stacy! The most brilliant marketing strategy EVER! I don't know how they're priced up in Georgia, but down here, they're way to expensive for me.

Hummus must be an acquired taste. I had it once, and now the thought of it makes me gag. Blech!!!!!  

#51 GhostGirl

GhostGirl

Sweetheart of Dixie

• Admin
  • 21936 posts
  • Interests:It was what I was born for —
    to look, to listen,

to lose myself
    inside this soft world —
    to instruct myself
    over and over

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 22 2010, 02:47 PM)

user posted image

I got a free bag of Stacy's pita chips in the mail when they first launched the product line. They sent them out to everyone they could find named Stacy! The most brilliant marketing strategy EVER! I don't know how they're priced up in Georgia, but down here, they're way to expensive for me.

Hummus must be an acquired taste. I had it once, and now the thought of it makes me gag. Blech!!!!!

laugh.gif

I'm having some Guiltless Gourmet tortilla chips and some roasted red pepper hummus right now.  I LOVE the stuff.

#52 sullysue

sullysue

Arriving Somewhere...

• Members *
  • 16079 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 22 2010, 02:55 PM)

user posted image

laugh.gif

I'm having some Guiltless Gourmet tortilla chips and some roasted red pepper hummus right now.  I LOVE the stuff.

Yuck!  laugh.gif  

#53 afurrything

afurrything

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:19 PM

I haven't read all the replies but wanted to post.
I eat a high protein low carb diet. I have for about two years, had a relapse for two months when it was the anniversary of one year since my daughter had died, but got back on it in Jan.
Anyway a few weeks ago I had to have a blood test for insurance and my test results were sooo good! My bad cholesterol was low and my good cholesterol was sooo good!

I had to show my daughter because on New Years Eve her and her boyfriend were telling me how bad it was to eat so much meat, cheese and bacon. I love bacon.

My body just doesn't know what to do with too many carbs. It just can't process them. I try to limit it to 20 a day, but I'm not anal about it. And I do on occasion splurge. On birthdays or holidays I will eat a little cake.

ETA I eat an insane amount of eggs. Some days as many as 5 or 6. And still my cholesterol is awesome. Both my mom and dad had high bad cholesterol so in my case I think diet is overriding my genes.

Edited by afurrything, 22 March 2010 - 05:29 PM.

#54 afurrything

afurrything

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:20 PM

user posted image

Me and my daughter tried hummus once and decided it tasted like dirty armpits  laugh.gif

She has since started making her own and says it is delicious! I haven't been able to try it again. It's too carby for me anyway.

#55 Ya_Big_Tree

Ya_Big_Tree

"I'm your ch-ch-cherry bomb!"

• Members *
  • 14818 posts
  • Interests:Anything that I find interesting obviously interests me.

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:32 PM

Hummus = The Shit  1022.gif

#56 Queen of Megadon

Queen of Megadon

In a New York Groove

• Members
  • 3063 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 22 2010, 06:32 PM)
Hummus = The Shit  1022.gif

agreed

#57 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 34648 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Mar 22 2010, 10:02 PM)
Hummus = The Shit  1022.gif

agreed

Also agreed. If you have a Trader Joe's near you (U.S. only, I'm assuming), pick up a tub of their Mediterranean Hummus. Best hummus I've ever had. That along with a bag of their blue corn tortilla chips makes for an addicting snack.

#58 iluvgeddy05

iluvgeddy05

Dances With Torn Sweater

• Members
  • 9518 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:08 AM

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 23 2010, 02:51 AM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Mar 22 2010, 10:02 PM)
Hummus = The Shit  1022.gif

agreed

Also agreed. If you have a Trader Joe's near you (U.S. only, I'm assuming), pick up a tub of their Mediterranean Hummus. Best hummus I've ever had. That along with a bag of their blue corn tortilla chips makes for an addicting snack.

No Traders near me upstate here  angry.gif  

#59 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25530 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:54 AM

Okay, my appetite has gotten weird.  I don't seem to have much of one as of the past week or so, despite the fact that I am working out regularly (daily, with a day off about every 10 days or if I just absolutely do not feel like it).  I'm eating, but I don't seem to have much interest in "real" food.  The only things I really find appealing are protein bars and drinks.  Protein shakes are breakfast every day anyway, and sometimes they are dinner as well, but I don't as a rule eat the bars as meals - they are a very occasional snack.  

Thinking I cannot live life with this as a regular diet. . .

#60 GhostGirl

GhostGirl

Sweetheart of Dixie

• Admin
  • 21936 posts
  • Interests:It was what I was born for —
    to look, to listen,

to lose myself
    inside this soft world —
    to instruct myself
    over and over

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 23 2010, 07:54 AM)
Okay, my appetite has gotten weird.  I don't seem to have much of one as of the past week or so, despite the fact that I am working out regularly (daily, with a day off about every 10 days or if I just absolutely do not feel like it).  I'm eating, but I don't seem to have much interest in "real" food.  The only things I really find appealing are protein bars and drinks.  Protein shakes are breakfast every day anyway, and sometimes they are dinner as well, but I don't as a rule eat the bars as meals - they are a very occasional snack.  

Thinking I cannot live life with this as a regular diet. . .

I assume the shakes and bars are sweet?  What do you eat that isn't a sweet food?

I know you don't like veggies that much (neither do I).  Sometimes you just have to go with what sounds good - but it probably isn't a great idea to eat only those items.

Have you had any bloodwork done recently?  Wonder if you're having some sort of nutritional deficiency and your body is trying to rebuild...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users