The North Face

Tick

Don't know about their clothing but their bags are pretty tip top. I've had one of their backpacks (large-size that I use for traveling) for a few years now that refuses to get beaten up and protects the inside contents from rain and snow like it's life depended on it. This thing has survived several airlines and customs officers tossing it, flinging it, and probably pile-driving it when I'm not looking.

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 7 2010, 10:40 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 7 2010, 11:25 PM)
If you like the North Face, you'll love...

The South Butt.

Yes.

Its for real.

http://www.thesouthbutt.com/

rofl3.gif So very cool! I hope he wins the court case.

I had no idea the same company who owns The North Face also owns Victoria's Secret.

Thats why you get that inexplicably sexy feeling while skiing wearing TNF gear...

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 7 2010, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 7 2010, 06:42 PM)
Believe me, I am no slave to fashion, I gave that up back in the Nineties.

I have NEVER been a slave to fashion. Jeans or khakis and a polo /fitted tee in summer, jeans or khakis and a sweater in the winter. I have stuff still that I had in college, and it's still in good shape.

And I am pissed that the fashion slaves have made it next-to-impossible for me to get my good duck shoes this year.

Did you ever check out Sportsman's Guide? I posted a link for you when you were asking about where to get them in TCP.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 8 2010, 07:52 AM)
yea it's all fashion trends and what label is the one to be seen with. No one jacket is going to keep you warm. you have to dress in layers.
i'm a cabelas man myself. cool.gif

Yeah, Cabelas has good stuff!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 8 2010, 09:27 AM)

I have NEVER been a slave to fashion. Jeans or khakis and a polo /fitted tee in summer, jeans or khakis and a sweater in the winter. I have stuff still that I had in college, and it's still in good shape.

And I am pissed that the fashion slaves have made it next-to-impossible for me to get my good duck shoes this year.

Did you ever check out Sportsman's Guide? I posted a link for you when you were asking about where to get them in TCP.

I did, and they were not quite what I was looking for. (I don't want the boots, just the shoes). I did order a pair from LL Bean, and they were stupid-expensive and backordered for two months (for both - thanks again to the annoying fashion slaves), so they won't be here until later this month. At least I will be ready for next year.

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 8 2010, 08:30 AM)

I did, and they were not quite what I was looking for. (I don't want the boots, just the shoes). I did order a pair from LL Bean, and they were stupid-expensive and backordered for two months (for both - thanks again to the annoying fashion slaves), so they won't be here until later this month. At least I will be ready for next year.

Oh damn! I'm sorry, I thought that the link I posted was for the shoes, but now I see they're actually low-quarter boots. doh.gif Yeah, I'm not terribly bright sometimes. oops.gif

Duhhhh, dey looked likes shoe to me. Me know difference now, though. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 8 2010, 09:38 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 8 2010, 08:30 AM)

Oh damn! I'm sorry, I thought that the link I posted was for the shoes, but now I see they're actually low-quarter boots. doh.gif Yeah, I'm not terribly bright sometimes. oops.gif

Duhhhh, dey looked likes shoe to me. Me know difference now, though. laugh.gif

Believe me, it's been so nasty here lately that I wish I'd just compromised and ordered the quarter boots. But my thinking is that the shoes are damn heavy to start with - don't need to add extra weight!

I think the bottom line for most 40 something folk is we can care less about labels or trends. Its about finding quality and comfort at a good price. That's about all that matters when you get older. and if your married, you won't get an argument from your spouse by buying reasonably priced clothes instead of trendy expensive ones. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 8 2010, 11:13 AM)
I think the bottom line for most 40 something folk is we can care less about labels or trends. Its about finding quality and comfort at a good price. That's about all that matters when you get older. and if your married, you won't get an argument from your spouse by buying reasonably priced clothes instead of trendy expensive ones. atickhum.gif

True dat, brother-man! trink39.gif

I have a black army jacket that i paid $60 for 10 years ago

I buy my pants at Wal-Mart for $20

I buy my socks 5 pairs for $10

Why? Because i have two kids and the stores rape me when i check out

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 8 2010, 12:21 PM)

I miss "Steve and Barry's" clothing store. I used to get pants, sweatshirts, shorts, jackets, etc. and everything in the store was priced $6.49 ! It was unbelievable, and it was good stuff, not cheap crap.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 8 2010, 11:21 AM)

I've noticed that me and other people from my generation - the one which graduated high school in the mid-late 80s - still buy "faded" jeans. The current generation also buys "faded jeans," yet they look differently. Ours look faded from repeated washings; theirs look faded as if from repeated wears without washing, if you follow my meaning. Their jeans look like they were worn on a seven-month trail ride and couldn't be washed the whole time, and only NOW have been washed. It's a different kind of "faded" look than ours.

Just browsing and saw this thread - only really opened it because I noticed that today I'm wearing a North Face fleece vest I bought about 15 years ago and still wear regularly. I bought this the way I buy most of my outdoor clothing and gear - when it is on sale or close-out. I'd rather pay less for something that's going to last me a long time and do what it's for than pay less for a knock-off that will fall apart in a year. Still wearing my Marmot gore-tex shell and liner jacket that is also 15 years old - got that for free for doing a professional product test.

A lot of 'branded' gear is going cheap for the image these days. With clothes, one indicator is the zipper. Buy a jacket with a stout zipper. Also, go with a company that offers lifetime warranty or reasonable repairs. LL Bean for example has some really good stuff, and some not so good stuff, but they honor their satisfaction guarantee almost to a fault (but not really because they keep customers and the company is doing well.)

Most people who buy North Face gear; if they used it for what it was originally designed, they would die. Kinda like most people who own an SUV would never take it where the paint would get scratched (just like pick-up owners that never carry anything that scratches the bed.) laugh.gif

QUOTE (Alph Seeker @ Feb 8 2010, 12:20 PM)
Just browsing and saw this thread - only really opened it because I noticed that today I'm wearing a North Face fleece vest I bought about 15 years ago and still wear regularly. I bought this the way I buy most of my outdoor clothing and gear - when it is on sale or close-out. I'd rather pay less for something that's going to last me a long time and do what it's for than pay less for a knock-off that will fall apart in a year. Still wearing my Marmot gore-tex shell and liner jacket that is also 15 years old - got that for free for doing a professional product test.

A lot of 'branded' gear is going cheap for the image these days. With clothes, one indicator is the zipper. Buy a jacket with a stout zipper. Also, go with a company that offers lifetime warranty or reasonable repairs. LL Bean for example has some really good stuff, and some not so good stuff, but they honor their satisfaction guarantee almost to a fault (but not really because they keep customers and the company is doing well.)

Most people who buy North Face gear; if they used it for what it was originally designed, they would die. Kinda like most people who own an SUV would never take it where the paint would get scratched (just like pick-up owners that never carry anything that scratches the bed.) laugh.gif

Thanks for the word on your Marmot jacket. I've seen their stuff in the store and wondered how good it was, the one I saw certainly was sharp-looking but looks aren't everything. Since yours has lasted you 15 years I may pick it up, it was going for only $20.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 8 2010, 11:55 AM)

I've noticed that me and other people from my generation - the one which graduated high school in the mid-late 80s - still buy "faded" jeans. The current generation also buys "faded jeans," yet they look differently. Ours look faded from repeated washings; theirs look faded as if from repeated wears without washing, if you follow my meaning. Their jeans look like they were worn on a seven-month trail ride and couldn't be washed the whole time, and only NOW have been washed. It's a different kind of "faded" look than ours.

laugh.gif I hear ya. It also makes me laugh out loud when i see Kids buy jeans that have holes already in them for like $50 . I got them from climbing fences

QUOTE (Alph Seeker @ Feb 8 2010, 12:20 PM)

LLbean's warranty is like no other. I had their bookbag when I was younger and the zipper broke -- they took it back and sent me a whole new bag.

My dad got a hole in one of their sweaters, took it back and got store credit.

One time I was in their shoe section and I mentioned that I didn't really care for a pair I got from them. The store associate overheard me and told me to bring them back, even though I wore them a few times. Sure enough, I got store credit and ended up getting something else.

Their workout gear is great -- pretty affordable and it works just as well as pricey Under Armour or Nike (which incidentally, I can't stand Nike!!)

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 8 2010, 12:55 PM)

Oh, and the "raw denim" look. eyesre4.gif Those jeans are over $100/pair and come with very specific instructions on NOT washing them for several dozen wears so they get the "right" kind of fade. After a point it's okay to wash, but still.

Raw denim is very harsh. People wear it with long underwear underneath because it chafes so bad.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 8 2010, 12:33 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 8 2010, 11:55 AM)

laugh.gif I hear ya. It also makes me laugh out loud when i see Kids buy jeans that have holes already in them for like $50 . I got them from climbing fences

laugh.gif Yeah, and when you did rip them. You better have a really good excuse or else. unsure.gif tongue.gif