Neil Peart's religious affiliation?

Guest Quigley_Moog

QUOTE (Cato76 @ Mar 21 2005, 03:41 PM)
Any time I see this argument about who is an atheist or agnostic a saying always comes to mind. 

"There are no atheists or agnostics in foxholes."

Hmm, that saying is not completely without merit, but at the same time not wholly true imho.

Watch the excellent mountain climbing movie, "Touching the Void" for just one example where the phrase falls flat.

There are numerous other real examples throughout history of "atheists in foxholes". This link has a long list: http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/society.html#foxholes

Back to the topic of the thread, it has always been my understanding that Neil is an agnostic.

I think he isn't convinced there is a God out there, but he doesn't completely rule it out either, humbly acknowledging his understanding of the universe is limited. In the same vein, he tries his level best to respect people of all beliefs, knowing it's possible they could be right, even if he respectfully disagrees with them.

Incidentally, this is the way I think as well.

Cheers all,

cool.gif

Schro

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Mar 22 2005, 12:45 PM)
I don't know if you're interested, but there was a short discussion about Roll the Bones from an agnostic point of view here. It passed the time for a while.

Thanks, Slaine, I found that thread very interesting to read. We should get together for a beer sometime to talk about this stuff lol.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 21 2005, 07:24 AM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Mar 21 2005, 03:58 AM)
QUOTE (Quigley_Moog @ Mar 20 2005, 04:29 PM)
I have never heard him acknowledge a god of any sort.

no hero in your tragedy

no daring in your escape

no salutes for your surrender

nothing noble in your fate

Christ, what have you done? - N. Peart

IMO Neil was just using Christ's name as an expression of horror or disbelief at what the song's suicidal character done...he wasn't actually acknowledging a god per se....

Agreed. yes.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Mar 21 2005, 10:15 AM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Mar 21 2005, 08:29 AM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/jesus.gif

I don't think it's important what Neil believes.

What he brings as a musician and man is enough.

yes.gif

yes.gif

QUOTE (Neil Bird @ Mar 22 2005, 04:29 PM)
QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Mar 21 2005, 10:15 AM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Mar 21 2005, 08:29 AM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/jesus.gif

I don't think it's important what Neil believes.

What he brings as a musician and man is enough.

yes.gif

yes.gif

Cheers to that! trink39.gif

QUOTE (Schro @ Mar 22 2005, 07:18 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Mar 22 2005, 12:45 PM)
I don't know if you're interested, but there was a short discussion about Roll the Bones from an agnostic point of view here.  It passed the time for a while.

Thanks, Slaine, I found that thread very interesting to read. We should get together for a beer sometime to talk about this stuff lol.

I'd love to but Texas is a looooooooooong way away.

Cool thread.

I think all of the Rush albums with Peart suggest a tendency toward atheism, that is the renunciation of God in the Judeo-Christian/Muslim sense of a deity that has communicated with man and is continuously involved in the workings of the universe. At the same time, one certainly gets a feel for his awe and wonder towards the Eastern philosophies, that mystical notion that there is more to life than what we can perceive physically.

In "Ghost of a Chance" there is the line,

I don't believe in desitny

Or the guiding hand of fate

I don't believe in forever

Or in love as a mystical state

I don't believe in the stars or the planets

Or angels watching from above...

That's a pretty unequivocal rejection of metaphysics. And there are of course many other similar examples, like

It seems to me it's chemistry

where he seems to be expressing his faith in science.

But problems start when you try to analyze Vapor Trails. There he does drift off to the world of the occult and seems to incorporate it into his Weltanschauung.

Ultimately, my impression is that the conflict between the rational-material world and the emotional-spiritual world (explored extensively in Hemispheres of course) still hasn't resolved itself in Peart's ever-churning mind.

Then again, that may be just my own prejudiced interpretation, having wrestled with these question myself in the past.

poker2.gif

A friend of mine is agnostic. Its not that they dont believe in god they just...dont know what to think about, or if there is really one. Being agnostic does not mean you worship the devil or anything like that, its just you dont know what to believe.

I consider myself a Christian. Well, I go to church on a semi-regular basis, anyway. I don't know what Mr. Peart's belief system is, but it sure seems positive to me. I for one receive great comfort from his lyrics. Interestingly enough, my wife is "more of a Christian" than I am, and her favorite Rush CD by far is Roll The Bones. Labels generally suck. Living in Truth is what it is all about, and there sure seems to be a lot of truth in Neil's lyrics.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Apr 10 2005, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (dweezil @ Apr 10 2005, 01:34 PM)
'isms" are pointless

This is true.

How are they pointless?

Archived