Neil's "Lost" Grammy

Spike

I couldn't belive it when I found out he didn't win. Still it was pretty cool that he was nominated for a drum solo.

Rush lost Grammies FOUR TIMES

1981 Best Rock Instrumental for YYZ. Lost to The Police's Behind My Camel(boring piece)

1991 Best Rock Instrumental Where's My Thing. Lost to Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover(what a dumb instrumental)

1994 Best Rock Instrumental Leave That Thing Alone. Lost to Pink Floyd's Marooned(at least Rush lost to a GREAT band that, like Rush, was shafted by the Grammies over the years. Dark Side lost album of the year Grammies to Stevie Wonder's Innervisions and The Wall lost album of the year to Christopher Cross' self-titled)

2004 Best Rock Instrumental O Baterista. Lost to Brian Wilson's something Cow(Rush should have won but nevermind)

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Feb 3 2006, 01:37 AM)
Rush lost Grammies FOUR TIMES
1981 Best Rock Instrumental for YYZ. Lost to The Police's Behind My Camel(boring piece)
1991 Best Rock Instrumental Where's My Thing. Lost to Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover(what a dumb instrumental)
1994 Best Rock Instrumental Leave That Thing Alone. Lost to Pink Floyd's Marooned(at least Rush lost to a GREAT band that, like Rush, was shafted by the Grammies over the years. Dark Side lost album of the year Grammies to Stevie Wonder's Innervisions and The Wall lost album of the year to Christopher Cross' self-titled)
2004 Best Rock Instrumental O Baterista. Lost to Brian Wilson's something Cow(Rush should have won but nevermind)

Well you know, money walks and bullshit talks! eh.gif

Hi Floyd Fanatic....

hate to disagree with you but I am, along with you and everyone here, Rush's number one fan.....but Cliffs of Dover is really a true melodic and technical masterpiece....Eric Johnson is alone no Rush but many guitar enthusiasts and pro players consider him the best in the business and that song is simply perfect.....

Alex has stated that he used to watch Eric play from backstage when he opened for them and was extremely excited to watch him play and I believe he even gave Eric one of his own guitars as a sign of friendship and respect

I think it is the only one of those listed that rightfully should have one the award....Rush should have taken the rest!

Cheers trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Let The Fray Begin @ Feb 23 2005, 07:43 AM)
When you look at Green Day winning the best rock album of the year award, and Usher and others winning a bunch of awards, it's easy to see that those who deliver the Grammy's don't have much taste.

Now, don't get me wrong Green Day fans... I liked their effort with Dookie, but it's my opinion that they've lost that form, and American Idiot is a rather mediocre album in my opinion. It seems nods are given to anyone who will rock out against the government, because that's the cool thing to do.

On second thought, I don't know of any REALLY good rock albums in the 00's, so maybe Green Day was deserving.

And all us loyal Rush fans know that O Baterista is a masterpiece smile.gif We don't need a Grammy to tell us its the best.

You know.... seeing these old threads revived, you also see names of those not seen in a long time.

I remember this dude. He was cool. We made a half-decent Yahoo Spades team. laugh.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Feb 3 2006, 04:12 PM)
I read some of these old threads that were not closed so I decided what the hey and re-open them.

Well for a TRF old-timer, like myself... it's just COOL. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (vital signz @ Feb 3 2006, 07:31 AM)
Hi Floyd Fanatic....

hate to disagree with you but I am, along with you and everyone here, Rush's number one fan.....but Cliffs of Dover is really a true melodic and technical masterpiece....Eric Johnson is alone no Rush but many guitar enthusiasts and pro players consider him the best in the business and that song is simply perfect.....
Alex has stated that he used to watch Eric play from backstage when he opened for them and was extremely excited to watch him play and I believe he even gave Eric one of his own guitars as a sign of friendship and respect
I think it is the only one of those listed that rightfully should have one the award....Rush should have taken the rest!

Cheers  trink39.gif  trink39.gif  trink39.gif

Agreed 100%. I hate to say but "Where's My Thing?" is second only to "Limbo" as their worst instrumentals.

However, losing to The Police's "Behind My Camel" ? Are you kidding me? What an insult!!!!!

And losing to Pink Floyd's "Marooned" ? That song is horrendusly boring. Pink Floyd is NOT Pink Floyd without Roger Waters.

Finally, Peart losing to that Brian Wilson song is the worst thing ever. Again, it was just because it was Brian Wilson. If the people who voted actually knew how Peart was playing the song (foot triggers, pad triggers) and how complex it was, then I think there would've been a different turnaround.

The Grammy's have been and always will be a popularity contest.

QUOTE (zardoz @ Feb 5 2006, 01:44 AM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ Feb 3 2006, 07:31 AM)
Hi Floyd Fanatic....

Cheers  trink39.gif  trink39.gif  trink39.gif

Agreed 100%. I hate to say but "Where's My Thing?" is second only to "Limbo" as their worst instrumentals.

However, losing to The Police's "Behind My Camel" ? Are you kidding me? What an insult!!!!!

And losing to Pink Floyd's "Marooned" ? That song is horrendusly boring. Pink Floyd is NOT Pink Floyd without Roger Waters.

Finally, Peart losing to that Brian Wilson song is the worst thing ever. Again, it was just because it was Brian Wilson. If the people who voted actually knew how Peart was playing the song (foot triggers, pad triggers) and how complex it was, then I think there would've been a different turnaround.

Well, hate to disagree on Marooned but that track was IMHO PF's best instrumental since Absolutely Curtains on Obscured by Clouds and one of my Top 3 tracks on The Division Bell album.

I was happy that at least one of my favorites won and I'd rather see Rush lose to Pink Floyd or Queen than Eric F*ckin Johnson(who remembers him now).

Also, Roger Waters was not Pink Floyd(he was the lyrical genius after Syd Barrett left) but his music skills were to be desired and David Gilmour and Rick Wright were the musical brains. We know Waters became Hitler from 1977 to 2004 and now realizes PF was David Gilmour/Nick Mason/Waters/Rick Wright or Syd Barrett/Mason/Waters/Wright.

PF, like Rush, were always shafted by the Grammy committee.

1973 DSotM lost to Stevie Wonder's Innervisions in Album of Year and the Innervisions engineer beat Alan Parsons in Best Engineered Recording

1980 The Wall lost to Christopher Cross' self titled debut in Album of Year. Another Brick in the Wall lost to Bob Seger's Against the Wind(Queen were nominated as well for Another One Bites the Dust and lost to Seger) in Best Rock Performance by Duo or Group. The Wall won only one technical award as engineer James Guthrie won for his recording and mixing job on The Wall.

1994 PF were given the Grammy for Best Rock Instrumental I believe as the Grammy committee felt bad for shafting the band for so many years. PF were also nominated for TDB in Best Engineered Recording and Best Album Packaging but lost!

O Baterista is a solo spot disguised as an instrumental. I liked Der Trommler better.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 5 2006, 06:00 PM)
QUOTE (zardoz @ Feb 4 2006, 10:44 PM)

Exactly. Therefore, we don't need to revive year-old threads to bitch about Rush not winning it.

But it's fun. biggrin.gif

floydfanatic111,

So, the quality of 'A Momentary Lapse Of Reason' and 'The Division Bell' are up there with the Waters-era Floyd stuff? Come on now....................

If Rush ever got any real recognition from the recording industry I think I would pass a golden brick through my duodenum. I knew Wilson would win cause Americans reward bad behavior. Lets face it wacking yourself out on drugs-being estranged from your children-and writing a horrible comback albums is what the public wants. The Music Industry has become the embodiment of the Jerry Springer show.We love to watch the twisted lives of the rich and famous thinking "Whew glad that didn't happen to me" . Rush deserves at least a lifetime achivment award ( Grammy ) and a induction to the R.R.H.O.F. but don't hold your breath cause if after 30 years if it hasn't happened by then it might not. Of course the industry could have a change of heart and make it happen and I could win the lottery and move to Switzerland too.

QUOTE (zardoz @ Feb 6 2006, 03:47 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 5 2006, 06:00 PM)
QUOTE (zardoz @ Feb 4 2006, 10:44 PM)

Exactly. Therefore, we don't need to revive year-old threads to bitch about Rush not winning it.

But it's fun. biggrin.gif

floydfanatic111,

So, the quality of 'A Momentary Lapse Of Reason' and 'The Division Bell' are up there with the Waters-era Floyd stuff? Come on now....................

Zardoz or Zarlof(whatever your name is), don't I know you from somewhere. Aren't you Lee Mansfield(a dude I went to High School with is identical to you in PF views).I agree that Momentary Lapse was a David Gilmour solo album in all but name although it had some great songs(Sorrow, On the Turning Away and Yet Another Movie). The Division Bell on the other hand was a group album as it had Gilmour/Nick Mason/Rick Wright(whom co-wrote four songs with Gilmour and wrote one song alone with lyrics from Anthony Moore) playing as a unit for the first time since Wish You Were Here. I loved TDB from first listen on 1994 release and I put it in my Top 5 PF albums(songs like High Hopes, Marooned, Wearing the Inside Out and Keep Talking are classics IMHO), even Piper is in my Top 5(and Gilmour wasn't there it was Syd Barrett). I know you will trash David's wife for helping with lyrics but he would give credit to where credit was due, no matter how small the contribution was unlike Waters from 1979 to 2000 or so as he was on his power trips. PF slowly became The Roger Waters Band by The Wall and The Final Cut was actually a Waters solo album barring the PF name.

Having said that, I can say is I am listening to Rush more than ever now and PF have gone on the back burner.

Many people hated Rush or was there any that hated them after either John Rutsey quit or the band left Mercury.

Grammies don't mean squat. Many won and were not EVER heard from Back to topic at hand, AGAIN(for examples Christopher Cross, A Taste of Honey, Marc Cohn, Starland Vocal Band and hopefully B*tchney Sneers).

My thoughts:

the Grammies are stupid.

I love "Gilmour era" Floyd (Momentary Lapse...Division Bell). Gilmour is a better singer than Roger Waters (imo, of course).

floydfanatic111,

On a random note, 'The Final Cut' is my fav sleeper Floyd album. But, back to the main topic.....wow.....relax. I happen to own both of Gilmour's solo albums, so that should say something. Anyway, the storytelling ability that Waters had made Floyd's music that much better. I compare Waters to Zappa for the sole reason they were both insane geniuses & a-holes, but they made everyone in the band better musicians.

I'm not trying to stir-up people on the board, so I hope you don't think that. It's just that after listening to Rush again, rebuying every cd except for the debut and getting myself familiar with them again.....seems like I'm more critical of them compared to when I was younger (when I knew less about music) and I have the right to be. I'll be posting a topic about that later, after I get all of my thoughts sorted out.

I couldn't agree more about the final cut.

I have a Gilmour album...the one w/ murder on it. I really liked that song, and can still hear it now in my head, though I haven't literally heard it in a decade or more. Hate to say it, but the rest of the album was mediocre at best.

And conversely, Roger's Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking was an excellent effort.

Just my two cents.

I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan (well, I myself am medium sized, but you know what I mean laugh.gif) but we'd better move the Floydian discussions to the appropriate forum. smile.gif

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Feb 6 2006, 04:17 PM)

And conversely, Roger's Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking was an excellent effort.

I liked Radio K.A.O.S better.

OK lets discuss this in the proper thread (probably been done numerous times anyway) several Pink Floyd topics to choose from in Music of the spheres. This is reserved for RUSH stuff! biggrin.gif bolt.gif

Grammy Shmammy!!

Since when do 2.gif fans care about what others think; much less what the establishment thinks!!??

After 30 yrs are there still folks expecting such saccharin valentines?

You must be young. (at least in soul) If The Lord tarries you will learn to embrace such intentional oversights.

Archived