Hold Your Fire

Alex

QUOTE (Fritter @ Jun 18 2008, 08:38 AM)
Since I don't have access to my copy at the moment, could someone please point me to a site that has the Album Credits/Info on it?  I've just noticed the name Andy Richards in the Show Of Hands tour programme story of the making of HYF, and I wonder if it's the same Andy Richards I've worked with. 

Thanks a lot in advance.

Is this what you are looking for?

HYF Info

Will make noise when the page opens... tongue.gif

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (JDL2112 @ Jun 18 2008, 03:45 PM)
QUOTE (Fritter @ Jun 18 2008, 08:38 AM)
Since I don't have access to my copy at the moment, could someone please point me to a site that has the Album Credits/Info on it?  I've just noticed the name Andy Richards in the Show Of Hands tour programme story of the making of HYF, and I wonder if it's the same Andy Richards I've worked with. 

Thanks a lot in advance.

Is this what you are looking for?

HYF Info

Will make noise when the page opens... tongue.gif

Thank you very much, and thanks for the warning smile.gif

I really do enjoy this album. I used to be like HYF, yuck! But then I saw the A Show of Hands DVD, and everything changed. Prime Mover was awesome! I listened to that song none stop for about a week. And then one day I gave Lock and Key the light of day and really like the synths and the amazing drum fill at the end. I always like the up paced tempo of Turn the Page. This whole album was a discovery really. The right song coming on at the right time and me finding a new found appreciation for it. I love how Second Nature builds up to an epic ending. Great, under appreciated album.

What about the level of musicianship on that album? No ones really mentioned that yet. I dont see HYF as being "wussy," instead I see it as insanely technical AND melodic at the same time, which is hard to do. Of course, Rush do it on every album.

I will defend HYF to the death! (if it ever comes to that)

This album lays near the bottom of the list for me.

Although stylistically, the sound of HYF is a departure.. with Alex's guitar... the "wimpy" sound was deliberate... in that he wanted it to have the post modern splash in accordance with all of the keys which sounded like a string section most of the time...

I think that if they didn't come out with PW and HYF they wouldn't be around... they needed this era in experimentation in sounds, with the added keys... so that when they came back to the 3 piece oriented rock sound, they weren't tired of it and came about it with a new perspective...

I just don't like the sound of Pratt's snare on this record... too hollow sounding...

I like Force 10 ok

Time Stand Still was a great one for me but it's too wimpy now for me.

Open Secrets is very good

Second Nature is fantastic

I'm not a big fan of Prime Mover

I like Lock and Key... more of a rock song on this one, love the drum solo at the end.

Mission = classic

HATE Turn the Page.. goofy sounding to me... dorky

Tai Shan - nice little ditty, like Madrigal

High Water ... pretty good - great sounding splashy guitar and string sounding keys together...

I think Power Windows is much better ...

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Jun 18 2008, 09:03 AM)
QUOTE (KenCleanAirsystem @ Jun 18 2008, 08:45 AM)
Because it's shit and I hate it.

I actually did like it at first, must have been an 80s thing, that and it being my first Rush CD for my first CD player. Looking back on it now it's just so thin, not enough body to it at all. It's too synthy, not enough crunchy guitar.
I'd love to give an in depth write up of my negative feelings to HYF, but it's just too lame to bother with.

Now where's me wellies, I'm off for a paddle in the Fountain of lamneth, if I can find my Way

Well I'll say Alex's guitar is for sure a bit too whimpy-sounding, but the songs themselves are great.

To quickly compare, listen to the HYF Mission and then the one from S&A Live. The guitar sounds so much better and way more kick ass on S&A Live. THIS is why they need to bust out Open Secrets or Lock and Key next tour!

Alex started using the Signature guitars on this album, and that's part of the reason. Just listen to the guitar on Power Windows (which is a Strat) and Hold Your Fire (Signature).

However, that's not a reason for me to dislike it. Force Ten was awesome on R30, and Mission was great on Snakes and Arrows Live as well as on A Show Of Hands.

So why not pull some of those lost-classic numbers out? I don't know. Maybe it's "too synthesized" for Rush/Geddy now because he doesn't like standing behind a keyboard as much. Maybe they think the crowd would be schla03.gif and not 1022.gif .

But I think Open Secrets would be f*cking amazing if they had whipped it out this year. And it seems that there is a good number (thank God) of people on the forum who seem to like this song.

And, as for the topic question - I love Hold Your Fire. It was a chance for Rush to experiment with their sound, which they always have been great at doing. So what if it has "weak" songs? It's called an experiment, and I loved it, from Force Ten to High Water and all in between.

This one has grown on me a lot over time. It's not quite as good as its companion album (Power Windows) IMO, but it's still good.

Mission is a classic (esp. on S&A Live). Force Ten (R30 version), Time Stand Still, Prime Mover, Lock & Key and Turn the Page are all great too.

Open Secrets is probably one of their most underrated songs IMO.

As was said before, this album represents Rush's softer side, the total opposite of say Vapor Trails.

062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif

Come on people, what is there to like? Maybe Mission, Force10 and Time Stand Still are listenable, but the rest? Why, it's Rush do elevator Muzak, I don't know what Geddy slipped into Alex's tea but it would've stopped Red Rum winning the National, you know what I'm saying? And you've seen the ASOH video haven't you. 062802puke_prv.gif I'm ashamed to say I was there, I was there in my Rock-chick thigh boots and leather waistcoat a la Sally James, and other chicks were there in sensible shoes and cardies taking Level 42 and Simple minds 062802puke_prv.gif If only security hadn't nabbed my Nunchuks angry.gif

Blessed Be

I've been a huge fan of HYF ever since it came out (and I even kinda like Tai Shan when the mood strikes). Sure it may sound too much like the 80's being so layered in cheesy synths but I think for well crafted pop tunes it doesn't get much better.

The playing is top notch, I think Alex has some wonderful solos even if his rythym work is buried in the synths. Secretly, I would love to hear the HYF songs rerecorded with layers of Alex's rich Gibson tone or maybe even strings replacing the synths just to update or warm up the overall sound of the album.

I think Rush kinda lost their way after HYF with Presto & RTB. I think they didn't know which way they wanted to go musically so we got 2 bland overly long albums (albeit sprinkled with the occasional great tune) while they searched for a direction. My opinion only but it's the only sense I can make of those two albums.

out of the 8 albums I have, its at the bottom of the list....a product of its time, which isn't a good thing.

Not enough Alex, to much cheesy synth, not enough evil sounding synth,

some songs sound a little wimpy...

7/10........

QUOTE (Jeff S @ Jun 18 2008, 05:19 PM)
out of the 8 albums I have, its at the bottom of the list....a product of its time, which isn't a good thing.

7/10........

Jeff's quote should say:

out of all the albums I have, Test for Echo is at the bottom of the list....a product of its time, which isn't a good thing.

Not enough originality, too many cheesy lyrics, not enough spirit,

most of the songs sound bland...

2/10........

My favourite album, fell in love with it as soon as I heard it. Time Stand Still is my fave Rush song. And I can't express enough love for Prime Mover! cool.gif Mission, fantastic.

I even like Tai Shan and High Water smile.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 18 2008, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (Jeff S @ Jun 18 2008, 05:19 PM)

7/10........

Jeff's quote should say:

out of all the albums I have, Test for Echo is at the bottom of the list....a product of its time, which isn't a good thing.

Not enough originality, too many cheesy lyrics, not enough spirit,

most of the songs sound bland...

2/10........

My quote was right the first time. tongue.gif

I also rate T4E 7/10, but I like it better due to the fact that it sounds like a rock album, something HYF can't claim AT ALL!

HYF has plenty of cheesy lyrics......Mission is a good example of that....

QUOTE (Smudger @ Jun 18 2008, 04:55 PM)
062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif062802puke_prv.gif

Come on people, what is there to like? Maybe Mission, Force10 and Time Stand Still are listenable, but the rest? Why, it's Rush do elevator Muzak, I don't know what Geddy slipped into Alex's tea but it would've stopped Red Rum winning the National, you know what I'm saying? And you've seen the ASOH video haven't you. 062802puke_prv.gif I'm ashamed to say I was there, I was there in my Rock-chick thigh boots and leather waistcoat a la Sally James, and other chicks were there in sensible shoes and cardies taking Level 42 and Simple minds 062802puke_prv.gif If only security hadn't nabbed my Nunchuks angry.gif

Blessed Be

Taking things a bit overboard here, no?

Archived