Queen to tour in 2005

Brutal Truth

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 14 2004, 09:44 PM)
They all were integral parts, but Freddy was the epitomy of a showman, he is Queen. 

I agree in my heart of hearts that Queen isn't Queen without Freddie ... but Brian, John and Roger were HUGE elements of Queen. I was excited about some of the other possibilities to front the remaining members, but Paul Rodgers doesn't fit IMHO. Also, they have not decided for sure if they are going to use the name Queen.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 14 2004, 09:44 PM)

Did you guys know that Queen only toured the US twice?  Once for The Game, and again for It's A Kind Of Magic.

Wrong ... they toured many times, at least 7 times. I personally saw them 3 times.

As one who was lucky enough to see Queen indoors (Dublin The Works Tour '84), I would have to say that Freddie was the best frontman I have ever witnessed on a stage. (Sorry Ged, you were better musically, but FM was the dog's scrotal sac).

I have no problem with the idea of the tour, but phrases like "Queen are back" should be banned on pain of death. Play Queen songs, but call it something else.

A few points...

John Deacon has apparently given the project a thumbs-up but will not be touring as he is enjoying his retirement with his family.

I agree that it should not be called Queen. With only half the band touring, they may as well call it something else, but Queen is still a very sellable name, hence my "cynicism" comment at the beginning of this thread.

Freddie Mercury was the greatest frontman in music history. I saw Queen at Hammersmith Odeon at the 'Concerts For Kampuchea' series on Boxing Day (December 26) 1979 and agaon on the 'Flash Gordon' tour at Wembley Arena in 1980.

Both performances were brilliant with Freddie on absolute top form. My point? Paul Rodgers cannot replace Freddie (no-one can), let alone sing the very individual style of Queen songs with any conviction.

There are many reasons why this project shouldn't go under the monicker of Queen, but the fact that Freddie and John aren't there are certainly the most compelling.

It's a sad end to a sad story.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Dec 16 2004, 07:35 AM)
As one who was lucky enough to see Queen indoors (Dublin The Works Tour '84), I would have to say that Freddie was the best frontman I have ever witnessed on a stage. (Sorry Ged, you were better musically, but FM was the dog's scrotal sac).

I just got that! rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

I never saw Queen live, but I LOVE to watch video of them performing. Freddie was amazing.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Dec 16 2004, 04:21 PM)
No John Deacon either? I guess that means no "I'm In Love With My Car" or "Tenement Funster" either. Now I dont even know if I would wanna go or not sad.gif

That would be Roger Taylor who sang those.

QUOTE (Brutal Truth @ Dec 16 2004, 08:51 AM)
A few points...

John Deacon has apparently given the project a thumbs-up but will not be touring as he is enjoying his retirement with his family.

I agree that it should not be called Queen. With only half the band touring, they may as well call it something else, but Queen is still a very sellable name, hence my "cynicism" comment at the beginning of this thread.

Freddie Mercury was the greatest frontman in music history. I saw Queen at Hammersmith Odeon at the 'Concerts For Kampuchea' series on Boxing Day (December 26) 1979 and agaon on the 'Flash Gordon' tour at Wembley Arena in 1980.
Both performances were brilliant with Freddie on absolute top form. My point? Paul Rodgers cannot replace Freddie (no-one can), let alone sing the very individual style of Queen songs with any conviction.

There are many reasons why this project shouldn't go under the monicker of Queen, but the fact that Freddie and John aren't there are certainly the most compelling.

It's a sad end to a sad story.

Robert Plant and Roger Daltry may have something to say about the best frontman ever http://www.therushforum.net/html/emoticons/confused13.gif

I was lucky enough to see Queen on the Hot Space tour in Edinburgh and Queen without Freddie isn't Queen.

Sometimes bands should live on only in our memory.

It's been a while since I posted in this topic, and I said that Queen without Freddy is not Queen.

But a few weeks ago I saw Queen + Paul Rodgers (that's how they call themselves now) and I must say that I had so much mixed feeling before going to this concert, but I have to admit that it was great!

It really was, I think Paul Rodgers is a very good singer, and he sang the Queen songs in his own way, not trying to imitate Freddy at all..

So I think he made it a "new" band.

Brian May and Roger Taylor also sang a few songs, so it was various in many ways.

They remembered Freddy in a few ways, with respect and emotion, not too much, just.. good, it felt right!

And .. I enjoyed this concert very much, their light show was really beautiful.

There are plans for making a new cd with Paul Rodgers singer, so if they'll ever go on tour again in my little country, then I'll definitely go again!!

As a long time Queen fan, they were my "first" band, I went to see Queen + Paul Rodgers in Dublin, with more than an air of cynicism about me.

But, they ROCKED!

A very emotional gig, with the entire crowd taking over for Love of my Life, rendering Brian May speechless.

Paul Rodgers was fantastic and I'd say there were a lot of folk buying Free albums the day after.

A video clip of Freddie was shown for Bo Rhap and you could see a lot of people were moved by it.

It was a shame John didn't want to do it , but it was great to see Spike Edney onstage, often the unofficial fifth member for the eighties tours.

Whoever reads this, if they tour your part of the world, go see them. You won't be disappointed.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 16 2004, 01:39 AM)
QUOTE (afansince74 @ Dec 15 2004, 08:35 PM)
No Freddie, No Queen!  It's like JP without Rob Halford... just don't sound right!

Maiden without Dickenson... not the same...

Personally, I don't think it Maiden without Di'Anno but that's just me.

As for Queen, I agree, Freddie Mercury couldn't be replaced. However, they did the best thing and go someone who was the total opposite of him. I've always thought that Paul Rodgers wasone of the finest British vocalists of all time.

The think what saddened me about this thread was the way it was totally written off before anyone had heard them. I'm glad to see that those who managed to get to the gigs (I couldn't) allowed the music and performance, not their preconceptions, to have the final word.

I think one of the main seals of approval came from a friend of my wife who went to see them. This is a woman who thinks that everything Freddie Mercury did (including *shudders* Hot Space and the Larry Lurex single) is a work of genius. I mean, this woman is such a FM fan she makes GG look like she can't stand Neil and came back absolutely raving about the new look Queen.

Personally, I don't think you can arguwe with that.

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 15 2004, 12:44 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 14 2004, 10:37 PM)
Rodgers can't hit the notes Mercury used to, can he?  confused13.gif

Nobody can.

Paul Rodgers is going to have to sing it differently.

I think it'll be interesting.

I loved Queen, and I love Paul Rodgers.

Depending on the price and venue, I may just go.

An unlikely but brilliant pairing,I'd love to see this reinvention of Queen.

No one should have any disillusions of the original Queen here.It's not like Freddie Mercury is out there touring with his own version of Queen.I love the first album,and to get a chance to see those songs live would ,for me be priceless.

QUEEN + PAUL RODGERS today confirmed much-anticipated shows for October 16 at Continental Airlines Arena (The Meadowlands) in East Rutherford, N.J., and October 22 at the Hollywood Bowl in Hollywood, Calif.

Tickets for the Continental Arena date will go on sale at 10 a.m. EST on Saturday, July 30, and for the Hollywood Bowl date at 10 a.m. PST on Sunday, July 31. Tickets can be purchased via Ticketmaster or www.queenpluspaulrodgers.com, www.queenonline.com, or www.paulrodgers.com. (Check the Web sites for information on pre-sales and special VIP ticket opportunities.) "

So... maybe some of you will have a chance to go!

Archived