Good News First

Earthshine

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (jltr2112 @ Jun 19 2007, 12:34 PM)
Nowhere near the worst...

How about "Hand over Fist" off Presto...pretty weak

I disagree. The weakest is You Bet Your Life. They should've just ended it on Neurotica, at least that song has a good guitar solo.

Only dog on the CD is The Larger Bowl, IMO.

I like it!

It has a good bass tone, as well as some nice accent parts.

Ged weaves a nice flowing bassline through the song. I would like

the bassline a little more, in your face, but it is still good.

I find this album to be some of there strongest work in years. This is a solid hit as far as I am concerned.

QUOTE (Gompers @ Jun 19 2007, 01:42 PM)
Only dog on the CD is The Larger Bowl, IMO.

This is what always makes these threads so funny.

The Larger Bowl is my favorite off of the album.

yes.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 19 2007, 02:40 AM)
QUOTE (hope70 @ Jun 16 2007, 06:06 AM)
GNF is a great song imo.
I will just pretend RTB and Presto were never made.

yes.gif

trink39.gif

I just don't get where you say a whole album sucks. There are some that in IMO are not as strong as others, but there are strong tracks on every album. Even HYF has Force Ten, Time Stand Still, and the Mission. confused13.gif

I can't imagine a world without Show Don't Tell, Bravado, or Ghost of a Chance. sad.gif

Sometimes, I think I'm going to back of my best album since "Hold Your Fire" statement, then I go listen song by song again and I then I feel comfortable about it again.

"Good News First" is one of the reasons. Solid, well-crafted song with a great feel.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 24 2007, 12:20 AM)
GNF is a great song imo.

yes.gif

trink39.gif

I just don't get where you say a whole album sucks. There are some that in IMO are not as strong as others, but there are strong tracks on every album. Even HYF has Force Ten, Time Stand Still, and the Mission. confused13.gif

I can't imagine a world without Show Don't Tell, Bravado, or Ghost of a Chance. sad.gif

Well there's nothing like painting with a broad brush to make a point. In totality I think those CD's suck, immensly so. However, you are correct, there are nuggets strewn throughout.

Show Don't Tell, The Pass, Ghost of a Chance I really love & think are great...maybe Presto & Dreamline make the cut for me, but other than that those 2 CD's are a "firm foundation of turds" to quote Shakespeare...or was that a foundation of firm turds? I can't quite remember.... ph34r.gif

I challenge your contention about Bravado however; there's a reason so many people took a piss break during that song that Neil even noticed from behind the drum kit: it sucks too, or at the least is boring. I wish it was different but for every Red Barchetta there's a Larger Blow or Nobody's Hero or Second Nature or Hand Over Fist.

On the other hand, I think Hold Your Fire is a damn fine CD, one of my favorites, and I'm a dyed in the wool Hemispheres, fill-all-the-spaces-with-notes-kinda Rush fan.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 25 2007, 06:52 PM)
GNF is a great song imo.

yes.gif

trink39.gif

Well there's nothing like painting with a broad brush to make a point. In totality I think those CD's suck, immensly so. However, you are correct, there are nuggets strewn throughout.

Show Don't Tell, The Pass, Ghost of a Chance I really love & think are great...maybe Presto & Dreamline make the cut for me, but other than that those 2 CD's are a "firm foundation of turds" to quote Shakespeare...or was that a foundation of firm turds? I can't quite remember.... ph34r.gif

I challenge your contention about Bravado however; there's a reason so many people took a piss break during that song that Neil even noticed from behind the drum kit: it sucks too, or at the least is boring. I wish it was different but for every Red Barchetta there's a Larger Blow or Nobody's Hero or Second Nature or Hand Over Fist.

On the other hand, I think Hold Your Fire is a damn fine CD, one of my favorites, and I'm a dyed in the wool Hemispheres, fill-all-the-spaces-with-notes-kinda Rush fan.

Roll the Bones and Presto both rock! 2.gif

QUOTE (pt2112 @ Jun 26 2007, 04:13 PM)
GNF is a great song imo.

yes.gif

trink39.gif

Roll the Bones and Presto both rock! 2.gif

Suck!

pokey.gif

GNF is a great song imo.

yes.gif

trink39.gif

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I don't think I can use the work turd to describe anything in the Rush catalog other than a handful of songs.

But Tamas...at least we agree that boobies RULE! trink39.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jun 27 2007, 10:21 AM)
GNF is a great song imo.

yes.gif

trink39.gif

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I don't think I can use the work turd to describe anything in the Rush catalog other than a handful of songs.

But Tamas...at least we agree that boobies RULE! trink39.gif

You sir are a scholar & a gentleman!

trink39.gif

Archived