Marathon

barney_rebel

Marathon has got to be my favourite song off Power Windows. Don't get me wrong, I love the album but, to my mind, none of the other songs, with the exception of Big Money, really, really, really stands out.

I agree with the comments about the live version of ASoH. I was actually at the NEC on two of the nights when it was recorded and, on both occasions, it was a kicker.

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Nov 5 2004, 04:52 PM)
Hey sweetie, you know this is another amazing thing of our friendship... Marathon is like my life song, the ones you try to live by... inspiration when you need it, consoling when things are bad, that they will always get better... We seem to have the same honing abilities on the music. 2.gif

Hey hotstuff - you took the words right out of my hmmmm mouth.

But back on topic - yes today was a really rough and sad day for me. Thinking of this song really moved me and made me keep my head up high.

And you do too.

Love wub.gif the live version (esp the ending), on Show of Hands. Don't like the fade out on the Power Windows version...but I did hear the live version first so I was spoilt...

bncegrn.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Nov 6 2004, 06:31 AM)
Love wub.gif the live version (esp the ending), on Show of Hands. Don't like the fade out on the Power Windows version...but I did hear the live version first so I was spoilt...
bncegrn.gif

Same with me, I bought ASOH before I bought either P/G, PW, or HYF. I must say though, it made me appreciate how incredible the live version is though that much more. It was also very interesting hearing live versions of so many new Rush songs for the first time, it was like opening a door to a whole new world of Rush to me and doing so at a concert. Before I bought ASOH, I was only familiar with thier Pre-Signals work.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 6 2004, 10:36 AM)
Love  wub.gif the live version (esp the ending), on Show of Hands. Don't like the fade out on the Power Windows version...but I did hear the live version first so I was spoilt...
bncegrn.gif

Same with me, I bought ASOH before I bought either P/G, PW, or HYF. I must say though, it made me appreciate how incredible the live version is though that much more. It was also very interesting hearing live versions of so many new Rush songs for the first time, it was like opening a door to a whole new world of Rush to me and doing so at a concert. Before I bought ASOH, I was only familiar with thier Pre-Signals work.

Yeah I'm in that same place with you two. I bought the ASOH Video before the studio versions. I would LOVE to have the studio version of Marathon end like the live version. But that goes for a great many of their songs.

But all the same, I think Marathon studio version is a rare one where it has more power, more energy, more emotion, and more punch than the live version.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 6 2004, 10:36 AM)
Love  wub.gif the live version (esp the ending), on Show of Hands. Don't like the fade out on the Power Windows version...but I did hear the live version first so I was spoilt...
bncegrn.gif

i think listening to the live stuff and then discovering the studio tracks is the way to go.

PoW was a great tour. i called my mom from a payphone at school and begged her to let me go. my brother was going and i took a 2 hr bus to the show. this was the second leg of the tour at the end of the school year and it was rush. mom let me go so i give all the credit to her. she didn't have to say yes, but then again she saw the first leg show.

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (o baterista @ Nov 14 2004, 08:11 PM)
the video is great especially where Geddy gets into the Drum part near the end using his hand .punching out the drum licks ,.

I have not watched it in years.... but I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I've always loved that. NICE!!! cool.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 14 2004, 08:22 PM)
the video is great especially where Geddy gets into the Drum part near the end using his hand .punching out the drum licks ,.

I have not watched it in years.... but I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. I've always loved that. NICE!!! cool.gif

Where can I see it?

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 14 2004, 08:24 PM)

Where can I see it?

It's the A Show Of Hands convert video.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 14 2004, 08:26 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Nov 14 2004, 08:24 PM)

Where can I see it?

It's the A Show Of Hands convert video.

Thanks much cool.gif

I love this song. It brings me back to the late 80's. I remember seeing the Power windows tour and just loving the video that goes along with the song. The little man running was sweet. The solo is awesome in this song too, the way it build up and how much feeling Alex puts in the the solo part.

You can do a lot in a lifetime, if you don't burnout to fast.

-

--

---

----

------

-------

---------

------------

--------------

-----------------

Okay. Time to bump this thread up.

I just heard Marathon (I play it almost every day) and it's behind only The Fountain of Lamneth, Natural Science, and The Pass for my favorite Rush song. Available Light is sometimes ahead of it, but it really depends on the day.

Marathon always gives me some kind of emotion... I don't know how to describe it, but it's like excitement + pure joy...

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Aug 13 2006, 03:13 PM)
Marathon always gives me some kind of emotion... I don't know how to describe it, but it's like excitement + pure joy...

Agreed.

I love the part after the solo section, where the guitar sortof quiets down, and the keyboards are brought to the forefront, then it majorly slows down and Geddys sings "You Can Do Alot in a lifetime, if you dont burn out too fast", then theres the cool sound effect that sounds almost like a falling star in my mind.

It's got a great, slightly funky bassline, nice melodic vocal melody, fab use of synths, lyrics that flow with the music perfectly, sweet production values...

Like that whole album more or less (with or without the funky bassline)

I love "Marathon" and have to agree with your comments. The music is great and the message is one that I need to be reminded of again and again. I used to do distance running while listening to the entire album and other stuff, and on a practical level, "Marathon" would help me to mind my pacing. "You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast..." in the 2000's that's even more challenging than in the 80's--well, for me, anyway--and the message continues to be so relevant and helpful..

My buddy wants "like a streak of lightning that flashes and fades in the summer sky" on his tomb stone.

pretty cool.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Aug 13 2006, 02:13 PM)
Okay. Time to bump this thread up.

I just heard Marathon (I play it almost every day) and it's behind only The Fountain of Lamneth, Natural Science, and The Pass for my favorite Rush song. Available Light is sometimes ahead of it, but it really depends on the day.

Yep, many Rush songs give me that, many SONGS give me that....and marathon is undoubtedy one of them

Archived