David Gilmour's new album info

floydfanatic111

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 3 2006, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Mar 3 2006, 11:30 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 3 2006, 04:59 AM)
Great interview with David in this month's Mojo. Album get's a 4 star rating.

Out of 5? That's about what I'd give it.

I bought it today and i've played it 3 times.

It's, nice.

Like Gilmour and About Face before it, it lacks Roger, to inject a bit of passion and anger, just as some of Roger's solo stuff misses David to smooth out some of the many edges.

I'd give it 3/5.

I also bought Teddy Thompson's new album, superb.

It's out in stores already?

I downloaded a leak, I thought it was coming out on March 7.

Here's something for all you Floyd fans....

David Gilmour was interviewed on today's (4 March) Jonathan Ross radio show in the UK's Radio 2, Gilmour also played a few of the new tunes with Phil Manzanara (sp?). The interview starts about an hour into the show.

You'll be able to listen again to the show at the below link. It'll only work for a week. The current link is for last week's show, today's show will be available tomorrow....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/index.shtml?logo

Love to all

Disco

Just curious how many solo albums does Gilmour have out?

I have self titled debut and About Face which was great, didn't he also have dvd/cd live package awhile back? I thought Ghost girl mentioned this on Floyd thread.

QUOTE (softfilter @ Mar 6 2006, 02:15 AM)
I have self titled debut and About Face which was great, didn't he also have dvd/cd live package awhile back? I thought Ghost girl mentioned this on Floyd thread.

You have them all! On An Island is his third.

There was a live DVD, I don't think it was released on CD, but I could be wrong.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Mar 6 2006, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Mar 6 2006, 02:15 AM)

You have them all! On An Island is his third.

There was a live DVD, I don't think it was released on CD, but I could be wrong.

David Gilmour(1978)

About Face(1984)

On an Island(2006)

concert videos:

Pink Floyd's David Gilmour(1984 Hammersmith Odeon show plus videos and documentary) (1984)

David Gilmour in Concert DVD(2001 Royal Festival Hall, London)(2002)

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Mar 5 2006, 01:46 PM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Mar 5 2006, 09:27 AM)
2 more days! I can't wait! I really wanna go out to Best Buy and get it the day it comes out. But I doubt it will happen because I have school. sad.gif

AIM me. I will solve this.

Thanks a lot PK2112. I'm listening to "The Blue" right now. It's great! I am hoping to buy On An Island on Wednesday night after my drum lesson. Hopefully it won't be sold out in Best Buy!

smile.gif I'm in love with this album. I've got the headphones on, and it is heaven.

Here's a good article for those who might be interested:

http://www.davidgilmour.com/press/mar06/Ne...k_13March06.pdf

biggrin.gif

...and I think it's great! yes.gif It's VERY mellow and calm. I actually find it a great album to listen to while trying to fall asleep - and I don't mean that in a BAD way, haha. But, it's great to finally hear some more BRAND NEW material from Gilmour. Also, I heard Roger Waters just released a new solo album called "Ca Ira" - which is an opera that Roger started writing like...10 - 12 years ago. I havn't got to hear it yet, but I might check it out soon.

Listen to Gilmour's live show on the BBC here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/classicpop/

On an Island is a great album. I have played once a day since getting the CD. I bought the Best Buy version.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Mar 15 2006, 04:39 PM)
Review from Hot Press - Ireland's self declared premier music magazine -

It seems strange that a five-song live show could become so important in shaping the legacy of a band as colossal as Pink Floyd, but the group’s Live 8 performance in July 2005 managed to convince many sceptics to give them a second chance. Bombastic dinosaurs with sledgehammer lyrical concepts, or sumptuous late-night sonic sculptors? On that show’s evidence, the latter, but a trawl through their back catalogue may edge some listeners towards the former verdict.

A full-blown reunion tour may have persuaded a majority to alter their views favourably, but a proper comeback now looks unlikely. So, those who had their appetite whetted for more Floyd material last summer will have to make do with projects like On An Island, guitarist/vocalist David Gilmour’s first solo album since 1984. Happily, it delivers at least some of what they may be looking for.

Curious fellow, Gilmour. An avant-garde experimentalist, yet always teetering on the edge of MOR blandness - and frequently plummeting headlong into it. A man clearly in love with songcraft, yet always far more adept as a moodmaker than as a tunesmith.

His strength, of course, is that exquisitely crafted, precise guitar work. It’s undeniably familiar at this stage (from his own work with Floyd, and from the legion of imitators who made it their own), yet still manages to cut rich, detailed shapes in what would otherwise be a rather lumbering set of songs.

Strangely, the album’s best moments come in the shape of two guitar-solo-free instrumentals – ‘Castellorizon’ and ‘Red Sky At Night’ – which also avoid the more traditionally Floyd-ian strong structures that dominate On An Island. Rich ambient passages, heaving with mystery and melancholy – these two moments of exquisite beauty suggest that there may be more interesting things to come from this old dog.

Kilian Murphy
Rating: 6 / 10

Castellorizon has a killer guitar solo on it(from the 2 minute mark onward), I don't know what instrumental he was gawking about. Red Sky at Night and Then I Close My Eyes don't have guitar solos.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Mar 15 2006, 02:00 PM)
On an Island is a great album. I have played once a day since getting the CD. I bought the Best Buy version.

I finally got around to listening to this.

It's very good.

One will enjoy more if they approach it without expectations of grandeur.

What happened to the concept of an album being just GOOD!

I caution you, when Rush releases their next album, don't expect it to be great, expect it to be Rush, expect it to be music.

Let greatness take on itself.

One of the things that has facinated me over the years is how artist create something that they thing is really good, only to have the listeners gravitate to and prefer what they concider to be only ok.

An artist can create everything accept true appreciation.

My fav. tracks are: Castellorizon, On An Island (the song), Take A Breath, Red Sky At Night, This Heaven, and A Pocketful Of Stones.

I think Smile is the worst song. Not to offend people who like it, I find it kind of embarrassing.

An up-and-coming new drummer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Dave/DGondrums.jpg

biggrin.gif

Archived