Frank Zappa documentary ‘Zappa’

RushFanForever

“Authorized”.

So safe to say Dweezil doesn’t feature in this?

I'll watch it anyway, because it's about Frank not Dweezil. But yeah, the way the family is fragmented is sickening. Frank would be ashamed.

• Like 2

“Authorized”.

I'll watch it anyway, because it's about Frank not Dweezil. But yeah, the way the family is fragmented is sickening. Frank would be ashamed.

I thought the ZFT worked everything out and they're all cool with each other now.

Edited by Self-Indulgence
  • Like 1

“Authorized”.

I thought the ZFT worked everything out and they're all cool with each other now.

That's good news.

“Authorized”.

Not that I'm aware of, in fact Dweezil is fighting last I heard to tour again as ZPZ.

• Like 1

I saw this at a theater on Monday. It was a most enjoyable documentary.

Not only is Dweezil not in it; none of his children are interviewed in the movie.

They're in it, but only as a part of home movies or footage of an announcement. I'd forgotten that there was a fourth child.

I saw this in the theater on Monday - Loved it! I had heard some die-hards complaining that it didn't highlight enough about certain eras or albums - but they're missing that the director had stated this movie wasn't intended to be a wikipedia run-down of Frank's career. I think it did an excellent job of showing that Frank was a complex person and had some major character flaws. The kids were shown in home film that sort-of set-up making some points about Frank. Many of the guest interviews were very insightful. I had previously read FZ's autobiography, so I was familiar with alot of the various events of his life - this was more about his persona and provided from the perspective of many people that were close to Frank. Edited by cygnify
  • Like 2

I was an initial backer for the "save the vault" kickstarter which was tied into making this movie but oddly enough, I have to wait until March of next year to receive my copy of this, bit of a bummer but out of some weird principle I don't want to pay for something that I already paid for.

Looking forward to this and yeah I think this had more Ahmet involvement than Dweezil. Not sure if the situation is totally resolved between the 2 camps (Dive/Ahmet v Moon/Dweezil) but I think it's better than before. We have Gail to blame for much of this - she was petty in her own right and seemed to have this mean streak/passive aggressive/aggressive character. Purely from a fan perspective, since she has been out of the picture, the vault releases have been comprehensive, great value and announced deadlines have been met. Treating the fans very well - WoW!! What a concept and clever marketing ploy.

• Like 2

I saw this in the theater on Monday - Loved it! I had heard some die-hards complaining that it didn't highlight enough about certain eras or albums - but they're missing that the director had stated this movie wasn't intended to be a wikipedia run-down of Frank's career. I think it did an excellent job of showing that Frank was a complex person and had some major character flaws. The kids were shown in home film that sort-of set-up making some points about Frank. Many of the guest interviews were very insightful. I had previously read FZ's autobiography, so I was familiar with alot of the various events of his life - this was more about his persona and provided from the perspective of many people that were close to Frank.

This is an excellent summation of the movie.

I do not think I would call myself a die-hard, but I am a serious fan and student of Zappa and think this movie did an excellent job of humanizing the man.

I saw this movie with a friend who was not familiar with Zappa but now has total respect for what he was trying to do.

• Like 1

I saw this in the theater on Monday - Loved it! I had heard some die-hards complaining that it didn't highlight enough about certain eras or albums - but they're missing that the director had stated this movie wasn't intended to be a wikipedia run-down of Frank's career. I think it did an excellent job of showing that Frank was a complex person and had some major character flaws. The kids were shown in home film that sort-of set-up making some points about Frank. Many of the guest interviews were very insightful. I had previously read FZ's autobiography, so I was familiar with alot of the various events of his life - this was more about his persona and provided from the perspective of many people that were close to Frank.

Ha! Keeping Die-hards happy with a Zappa Doc? Need a separate 2 hour movie for every tour with a complete multi-track recording of a corresponding show from that tour. I consider myself a some level die-hard. Essentially we're insatiable. I'm thinking this will be a definitive doc up to this point, looking forward to receiving my copy and all the other goodies, in the mean time I've been preparing for Zappadan - just 5 days away until Bummernacht and then Zappadan! I'm loaded for bear.

• Like 1