Sons of Apollo new album MMXX

to hell with goodhell MMXX Bumblefoot Billy Sheehan Derek Sherinian Mike Portnoy Jeff Scott Soto Sons of Apollo

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 94825 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:02 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sons Of Apollo have announced the release of their second album, MMXX. The album (pronounced '20/20') is the follow-up to debut Psychotic Symphony, and will be released on January 17.

The album will be released as a standard CD package, as a limited edition 2 CD set – including instrumental mixes and a cappella excerpts – and as a double vinyl plus CD package, and on all digital formats.

The band, in which drummer Mike Portnoy and keyboardist Derek Sherinian are joined by Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, Billy Sheehan and Jeff Scott Soto, have also announced a European tour for March, in addition to the already-announced run of North American dates in January. New dates below.

"Stylistically, we have followed the same path as the debut, says drummer Portnoy. "But we feel that it has come out stronger, simply because we know one another better.

"Psychotic Symphony was the first time the five of us had worked together, so there was bound to be an air of experimentation happening. Now, we can draw on having the experience not only of recording that album, but also of touring together a lot. And now there is clearly a lot more obvious chemistry going on.”

He continues: "It took about three weeks to get all the music written. That was a very smooth process. The last time, it certainly must have felt a little weird for Bumblefoot to be writing with Derek and me, because we were strangers to him. Now, we know one another better and that helped things push along."

"Because we all have our home studios, it meant everyone could record there as and when they had opportunity," adds Sherinian. "We all had the luxury of being able to take our time to get all the parts done, which was a huge help in the way the album's come out. I suppose in all, it took about eight months to record everything."

Here's the track listing for "MMXX":

01. Goodbye Divinity (7:16)
02. Wither To Black (4:48)
03. Asphyxiation (5:09)
04. Desolate July (6:11)
05. King Of Delusion (8:49)
06. Fall To Ascend (5:07)
07. Resurrection Day (5:51)
08. New World Today (16:38)

Sons Of Apollo European Tour
Mar 02: Drammen Union Scene, Norway
Mar 03: Gothenburg Traedgarn, Sweden
Mar 05: Kyiv N.A.U Theatre, Ukraine
Mar 07: Moscow RED, Russia
Mar 09: St Petersburg Aurora, Russia
Mar 10: Pratteln Z7, Switzerland
Mar 11: Milan Live Club, Italy
Mar 13: Bilbao Santana 27, Spain
Mar 14: Barcelona Razzmatazz 2, Spain
Mar 15: Madrid La Riviera, Spain
Mar 19: London Islington Assembly Hall, U.K.
Mar 20: Eindhoven Prognosis Festival, Netherlands
Mar 22: Show Brno Sono, Czech Republic
Mar 24: Kosice Colosseum, Slovakia
Mar 25: Budapest Barba Negra, Hungary

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sponsored Post

#2 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1184 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 05:05 AM

I enjoyed the first record so I’ll be checking this out. Not much to dislike aside from Portnoy’s personality.

JK

#3 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

Crushed in Rio

• Members *
  • 10272 posts
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:17 AM

I'll see them in Toronto on February 02nd. Can't wait for the new album!!!!

#4 ytserush

ytserush

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5235 posts

Posted 16 November 2019 - 08:19 PM

We'll see. First one wasn't that great. The second one will have to be pretty good for me to catch the show live.

The live CD/DVD isn't bad though. Could be their last album.

#5 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 94825 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 01:21 AM

View Postytserush, on 16 November 2019 - 08:19 PM, said:

We'll see. First one wasn't that great. The second one will have to be pretty good for me to catch the show live.

The live CD/DVD isn't bad though. Could be their last album.
Yeah Portnoy won't have time for this with his 75 other bands, he's looking to start another 5 in 2020. Him and George Lynch are battling to reach the elusive 100 bands mark before 2025. It's just a matter of time but which one will get there first? Lynch's new band Dirty Shirley puts him at 79 right now, and counting...it's neck and neck!

#6 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1184 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 05:52 PM

New song is good.

#7 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2509 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:24 PM

Great band. Their live album and DVD from Poland is amazing. The cover tunes they did are also insanely good.

Too bad the closet they are coming to Florida is PA.

My son and I enjoyed their debut album immensely.

#8 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 20510 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:30 PM

i'll try this.  even though i felt the first was a dud.  but that was only one album.

Mick

#9 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2509 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:32 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 18 November 2019 - 04:30 PM, said:

i'll try this.  even though i felt the first was a dud.  but that was only one album.

Mick

The tune Labyrinth alone was worth the price of admission bro!!!! Incredible tune.

#10 ytserush

ytserush

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5235 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:21 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 18 November 2019 - 04:30 PM, said:

Mick

Thought the live album was better. Don't know how this new one will be yet. Probably order it about a week out

#11 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

Crushed in Rio

• Members *
  • 10272 posts
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:36 PM

Here's my review of the new album:

https://www.sonicper...of-apollo-mmxx/

#12 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2509 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 01:34 PM

Well....It is OK on first listen. Not nearly as good as the debut IMO at this point. But it was only one listen.

Nothing really grabbed me on the first go around except Fall To Ascend which is an absolute beast of a tune, Goodbye Divinity and Desolute July.  I need to listen more. There is a lot going on. But I also had this reaction to the debut and after 4-5 listens it really started clicking more.

#13 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 20510 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 28 January 2020 - 01:38 PM

Nope.  this band officially does zero for me.  the new one is more over stuffed prog-metal.  and not good over stuffed Prog/metal, lol bland easily forgettable.

So i'll leave it's fans too it. if this moves you......cool.

Mick

#14 jc4gd

jc4gd

The Seeker

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:20 PM

I saw them last April with  David Ellefson on bass that night. Great musicianship. Album is quite good, with some generic tracks (like who doesn't do that these days!?) and some stand outs. I especially enjoyed the 16 minute closing track New World Today. Don't expect DT it's not, but really some brilliant talent coming together and it shows. The live album is really good especially the cover songs.

#15 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 94825 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:21 PM

View Postjc4gd, on 29 January 2020 - 08:20 PM, said:

I saw them last April with  David Ellefson on bass that night. Great musicianship. Album is quite good, with some generic tracks (like who doesn't do that these days!?) and some stand outs. I especially enjoyed the 16 minute closing track New World Today. Don't expect DT it's not, but really some brilliant talent coming together and it shows. The live album is really good especially the cover songs.
Where was Billy Sheehan? Was he too busy talking about not turning down the Van Halen gig in the 80's?

#16 jc4gd

jc4gd

The Seeker

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:03 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 12 February 2020 - 02:21 PM, said:

Where was Billy Sheehan? Was he too busy talking about not turning down the Van Halen gig in the 80's?

My bad. Getting my Mile Portnoy bands mixed up. it was actually a Metal Allegiance show.

#17 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 94825 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:07 PM

View Postjc4gd, on 12 February 2020 - 07:03 PM, said:

My bad. Getting my Mile Portnoy bands mixed up. it was actually a Metal Allegiance show.
How do you like those Metal Allegiance albums??

#18 jc4gd

jc4gd

The Seeker

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:24 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 12 February 2020 - 07:07 PM, said:

They are ok. Side project for many it seems. I hadn't seen Portnoy in a long while. They had alot of guest singers  including Chuck Billy.....

#19 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 94825 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:43 PM

View Postjc4gd, on 12 February 2020 - 07:24 PM, said:

They are ok. Side project for many it seems. I hadn't seen Portnoy in a long while. They had alot of guest singers  including Chuck Billy.....

I have the albums I think they're pretty good.

There's another one with Portnoy and Bobby Blitz, they have an album out later in the year but I think it's just a covers album.

#20 jc4gd

jc4gd

The Seeker

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:55 PM

View Posttreeduck, on 12 February 2020 - 07:43 PM, said:

View Postjc4gd, on 12 February 2020 - 07:24 PM, said:

I have the albums I think they're pretty good.

There's another one with Portnoy and Bobby Blitz, they have an album out later in the year but I think it's just a covers album.

Yeah, they like doing a lot of covers, and they share the stage with so many musicians. Recently they had Dave Lombardo (another of my favorite drummers) playing with them at a LA show.

https://www.youtube....h?v=AfRUtcCW3r0

Edited by jc4gd, 12 February 2020 - 07:58 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: to hell with goodhell, MMXX, Bumblefoot, Billy Sheehan, Derek Sherinian, Mike Portnoy, Jeff Scott Soto, Sons of Apollo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users