Songs that use the amazing Mellotron

Bigbobby10

Canadian singer-songwriter Ian Thomas (Anthem Legacy artist) appears to have used the same mellotron that was on the RUSH song "Tears" for song demos that didn't make the final cut on his 1981 album The Runner.

I asked Ian this question in relation to the above posted here.

I completely forgot Tears uses the Mellotron. Is that the only Rush song to use one?

Apparently there is Mellotron in The Main Monkey Business and Faithless off Snakes & Arrows.

Two pages of a thread on the mellotron and no mention of the moodies?

My favorite mellotron part from The Moodies

https://youtu.be/yU8x8mLVALU?t=3m4s

I love it too. You ought to hear the one from when they did Red Rocks in the early nineties. If I can find it, I'll post it.

That was the first Moodies album I bought in the Spring of 1969. They were so good back then. I'd buy their latest album even if I hadn't heard a song off of it.

Edit: Here it is, Custom

Edited by Lorraine

I love the mellotron

BB10, this is interesting you post this now, as I have a question:

Up until recently, I was not familiar with classic King Crimson .. and in listening to Epitaph on youtube, in addition to really enjoying it, I noticed that there was some talk in the comments about different versions - apparently, the original version of Epitaph featured a mellotron and in later versions the mellotron was replaced with orchestration ( ?? )

Thanks for letting me know this. I always make sure what I buy is an ORIGINAL recording ever since I bought a FOUNDATIONS CD which had Their hit "Baby, Now That I've Found You" which turned out to be a RE-RECORDING of the original. I could tell the minute I played the CD that it was NOT original, and ever since then I've made sure of ORIGINAL RECORDINGs. Fortunately, All my King Crimson albums are Original, and Yes I DO know what a mellotron sounds like! It was the cheap 'go-to' for bands that wanted 'strings' on their songs, But I knew the difference until companies like ARP & Prophet came up with strings that sounded like freaking sampled REAL strings by the mid seventies. [Witness 'Pavane' on Joe Walsh's "So What" album for samples of this.]

:banana:

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1

I love the mellotron

BB10, this is interesting you post this now, as I have a question:

Up until recently, I was not familiar with classic King Crimson .. and in listening to Epitaph on youtube, in addition to really enjoying it, I noticed that there was some talk in the comments about different versions - apparently, the original version of Epitaph featured a mellotron and in later versions the mellotron was replaced with orchestration ( ?? )

Thanks for letting me know this. I always make sure what I buy is an ORIGINAL recording ever since I bought a FOUNDATIONS CD which had Their hit "Baby, Now That I've Found You" which turned out to be a RE-RECORDING of the original. I could tell the minute I played the CD that it was NOT original, and ever since then I've made sure of ORIGINAL RECORDINGs. Fortunately, All my King Crimson albums are Original, and Yes I DO know what a mellotron sounds like! It was the cheap 'go-to' for bands that wanted 'strings' on their songs, But I knew the difference until companies like ARP & Prophet came up with strings that sounded like freaking sampled REAL strings by the mid seventies. [Witness 'Pavane' on Joe Walsh's "So What" album for samples of this.]

:banana:

I mean, WOW. A song I Knew BY HEART, being re-recorded and served to my like it was on the radio for the first time! [Luckily I've cleaned the carpet from my PUKE ten years ago! I was fortunate to find a digital quality version of the original on one back in 2002 or so on one of those controversial online places kinda like napster or whatever, so I've had the song itself for almost 18 years. I burned a copy way back then and never had to do without! Now, of course, I have a Retrospective that is taken from the original recordings and cleaned up sonically. It's actually better than on my crappy old AM radios I had to listen to it on...even my Bakelite '40s or '50s era one my parents handed down to me when I was little...pic when I get my old photos re scanned and on this computer!

TXbeDNY.jpg

Edited by OldRUSHfan

Another lover of the Mellotron. When chauffeuring my blind friend John in Detroit, we would have stops at various instrument stores that he was a customer of. At one store we were shown a Mellotron that was a floor sample. Although John played guitar in gigs he also knew piano, and within 15 minutes of being shown the instrument, he was playing a passable copy of the middle keyboard solo from the Moodies' "The Best Way to Travel" (ISotLC). Thought the salesman was gonna drop a loaf from the look on his face, but that's the way John rolled.

BUT the best one was King Crimson, Eastown Theater, Detroit, 1970, in support of Lizard. After a smoking set they do Devils Triangle for the encore. Fripp was playing Mellotron and synthesizer in additon to guitar, and he wore that thing out!