Keanu Reeves or Tom Cruise?

Texas King

Keanu Reeves or Tom Cruise?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Keanu Reeves or Tom Cruise?

I have to dissociate Cruise the person from Cruise the actor, cause based on acting alone, I'd vote Cruise solely on the basis of Risky Business (okay...maybe Top Gun or any other role of his I could think of too...). For what Keanu lacks in acting is at least made up in being a very commendable human being.

I used to be able to do that, but after so many years of talk shows and Scientology my dislike of Tom Cruise is too strong. He is a better actor but I still like Keanu Reeves better. I really just can't watch Tom Cruise movies anymore.

I skipped nearly all of those talk show interviews. I think the only ones I saw were 10 seconds of the infamously stupid jumping on the sofa Oprah crap + several minutes of him condescendingly talking to Matt whatshisname about Scientology & how "psychology is a pseudoscience".

Everything I've seen and read of Keanu in interviews makes me believe he's a genuinely nice guy. But I'm not watching movies to see how nice actors are off camera.

Related... I knew absolutely nothing of Philip Seymour Hoffman's personal life. Zero. But I thought he was an excellent actor and wish he were still around making movies.

He was so excellent! I never knew he apparently had substance abuse problems until it came out when he died. Yes, Keanu is the same in every movie. Tom was really good for awhile, especially in Rain Man. The Scientology thing is so off-putting though.

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 2

I have to dissociate Cruise the person from Cruise the actor, cause based on acting alone, I'd vote Cruise solely on the basis of Risky Business (okay...maybe Top Gun or any other role of his I could think of too...). For what Keanu lacks in acting is at least made up in being a very commendable human being.

I used to be able to do that, but after so many years of talk shows and Scientology my dislike of Tom Cruise is too strong. He is a better actor but I still like Keanu Reeves better. I really just can't watch Tom Cruise movies anymore.

I skipped nearly all of those talk show interviews. I think the only ones I saw were 10 seconds of the infamously stupid jumping on the sofa Oprah crap + several minutes of him condescendingly talking to Matt whatshisname about Scientology & how "psychology is a pseudoscience".

Everything I've seen and read of Keanu in interviews makes me believe he's a genuinely nice guy. But I'm not watching movies to see how nice actors are off camera.

Related... I knew absolutely nothing of Philip Seymour Hoffman's personal life. Zero. But I thought he was an excellent actor and wish he were still around making movies.

He was so excellent! I never knew he apparently had substance abuse problems until it came out when he died. Yes, Keanu is the same in every movie. Tom was really good for awhile, especially in Rain Man. The Scientology thing is so off-putting though.

See, I had even forgotten about Hoffman's substance abuse issues until you mentioned it now. Like you, I only learned about it after his death.

It's best that I don't watch any interviews with Cruise. It's bad enough the hard-to-avoid interviews I see out here with the Japanese press. He's absolutely WORSHIPPED in the Far East. A few years ago he was promoting whatever new movie of his and CRUISING on some river boat (in Osaka) waving to THOUSANDS of fans on the banks like he were a prince. This was the middle of the day on a weekday but tons were out for just a glimpse of him.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Roman Polanski is a guy who did some off-putting things in his personal life but was and incredible director and sometimes actor

Tom Cruise is nauseating both on and off screen - not a difficult decision for me when it comes to watching/not watching his crappy movies

• Like 1

Tom Cruise is nauseating both on and off screen - not a difficult decision for me when it comes to watching/not watching his crappy movies

"Nauseating both on and off screen" :LOL: I love it :LOL:

For me, Cruise has had more crappy movies than good ones but there are a few good ones in there. You didn't like Taps? I'd be kind of surprised by that. George C. Scott !

• Like 1

Roman Polanski is a guy who did some off-putting things in his personal life but was and incredible director and sometimes actor

Roman Polanski I usually don't talk to people about, because I have two daughters and a son that says he grew up hearing "turn that off, it has too much violence against women . . .:o ??" (I don't think I was that bad!)

Yet, I think charges against him should be dropped because 1. I read an article in some magazine one time that a) basically the girl's mom pimped her out; and b) the judge who heard his case wouldn't allow a plea bargain that he allowed in similar cases because he and the prosecuting DA had some kind of deal going 2. the man lived through the Holocaust as a child 3. he had his 8 months pregnant wife and unborn child killed in the worst way possible and 4. he is an artistic genius who may have been suffering PTSD when the assault incident happened due to #2 and #3. So anyway I can still watch him, which is probably horrible in someone's eyes, but Tom Cruise bugs me. :huh:

• Like 1

Roman Polanski is a guy who did some off-putting things in his personal life

Your use of "off-putting" made me laugh, knowing what Polanski did.

(No details of what he did, out of respect for posters here.)

• Like 2

It's no laughing matter, and I don't mean to make light .. Regardless of what he did, I still think The Tenant is one of the greatest movies ever, with Rosemary's Baby and Repulsion up there too - this might be buffered by the fact that the victim has come out in his defense, although it really doesn't excuse a very serious lapse in judgement ..

So is Tom Cruise's personality worse than Roman Polanski's crime ??

I've got to give that some thought

;)

I think in the case of some of the good movies featuring Cruise - Legend, Taps, Born On The Fourth Of July - they would have worked just fine with someone else

Edited by Lucas

It's no laughing matter, and I don't mean to make light .. Regardless of what he did, I still think The Tenant is one of the greatest movies ever, with Rosemary's Baby and Repulsion up there too - this might be buffered by the fact that the victim has come out in his defense, although it really doesn't excuse a very serious lapse in judgement ..

So is Tom Cruise's personality worse than Roman Polanski's crime ??

I've got to give that some thought

;)

I think in the case of some of the good movies featuring Cruise - Legend, Taps, Born On The Fourth Of July - they would have worked just fine with someone else

I know, :banghead: my defense of Roman Polanski has no rhyme or reason except I don't think he was thinking clearly for many years after 1969.

• Like 1

My favourite Polanski movie is The Pianist.

I also think he is a very damaged man who made many mistakes whilst in the grip of PTSD. Seriously...I don't see how you come out of the hell he went through and stay normal.

• Like 2

I just watched Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation and I'm wondering why. What piece of crap! Tom is getting chubby (chipmunk cheeks) and tries to compensate by bulking up in his upper body. Just makes him look strange and not attractive. And the "special feature" was called "Cruise Control" and essentially said Cruise has his fingers all over the movie taking charge of everything. One wonders why he bothered with a director at all. And it was all supposedly to give the movie goers the best possible experience. I was hoping for at least some good action scenes and except for the obligatory motorcycle chase, I was underwhelmed.

Tom Cruise all the way. But I think Keanu can handle a gun much better than Tom.

You must have seen John Wick, :D. ! He uses his gun lots in that!

Edited by blueschica

I just watched Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation and I'm wondering why. What piece of crap! Tom is getting chubby (chipmunk cheeks) and tries to compensate by bulking up in his upper body. Just makes him look strange and not attractive. And the "special feature" was called "Cruise Control" and essentially said Cruise has his fingers all over the movie taking charge of everything. One wonders why he bothered with a director at all. And it was all supposedly to give the movie goers the best possible experience. I was hoping for at least some good action scenes and except for the obligatory motorcycle chase, I was underwhelmed.

Yes, I have noticed the cheeks! I thought maybe it was bad plastic surgery or something! :D

Tom Cruise all the way. But I think Keanu can handle a gun much better than Tom.

I liked John Wick. Lots of gratuitous carnage and stunts.

• Like 1

I liked John Wick. Lots of gratuitous carnage and stunts.

Yes, he loved his dog! :)

John Wick over the operating thetan.

This, though I did love Cruise in Tropic Thunder. But not enough. Have to admit he's good at playing an a-hole.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1