Jump to content


What are some 21st Century Classics?


  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 LakesideShark

LakesideShark

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 834 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Largo, Florida
  • Interests:Rush and Helloween and drawing meager cartoons.

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:40 PM

My short, personal list from what I can pull out of my mind at the moment.

Almost Famous
Inglourious Basterds
The Incredibles
Inside Out
Big Hero 6
Shrek
Shaun of the Dead

Edited by LakesideShark, 09 January 2017 - 12:06 AM.


Sponsored Post

#22 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 4186 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:54 PM

View Postgoose, on 08 January 2017 - 11:02 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 08 January 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

What's a movie made post-2000 that you consider a modern day classic? Something that will be remembered decades from now
For me, a classic means if it's on, I'm watching, no matter how many times I've seen it.

Yes, I'm watching, even if it's part way through, or if I can't watch the whole thing, lol.  My poor husband- "Didn't we just see this?" (Erin Brockovich)  Me- "Kind of.  We watched the second half twice last month.  We haven't seen the beginning in a long time, though . . . "     It's the test of an excellent movie; it stands up to me doing that stuff.

#23 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

    Spaceman Spiff

  • Members *
  • 92730 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:I'm Not here... This isn't happening...
  • Interests:Not of interest

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:17 AM

View Postblueschica, on 08 January 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

Little Miss Sunshine

That's one of my all-time favorite movies, if not the all-time favorite.



#24 Mr. Not

Mr. Not

    Spaceman Spiff

  • Members *
  • 92730 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:I'm Not here... This isn't happening...
  • Interests:Not of interest

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:25 AM

Little Miss Sunshine
A Beautiful Mind
The Wrestler
Mysterious Skin (this one might be a little more cult, but I'd say it's only due to the NR rating)
Prisoners
Shame
The Dark Knight
LoTR trilogy

Drive


#25 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 44043 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Culture Club, Paying Taxes

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:33 AM

View Postblueschica, on 08 January 2017 - 11:54 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 08 January 2017 - 11:02 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 08 January 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

What's a movie made post-2000 that you consider a modern day classic? Something that will be remembered decades from now
For me, a classic means if it's on, I'm watching, no matter how many times I've seen it.

Yes, I'm watching, even if it's part way through, or if I can't watch the whole thing, lol.  My poor husband- "Didn't we just see this?" (Erin Brockovich)  Me- "Kind of.  We watched the second half twice last month.  We haven't seen the beginning in a long time, though . . . "     It's the test of an excellent movie; it stands up to me doing that stuff.
Exactly!  :lol:

#26 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 44043 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Culture Club, Paying Taxes

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:33 AM

View PostLakesideShark, on 08 January 2017 - 11:40 PM, said:


Shaun of the Dead
:yes:

#27 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 24774 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lost in Translation

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:09 AM

View Postblueschica, on 08 January 2017 - 11:54 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 08 January 2017 - 11:02 PM, said:

View PostUnion 5-3992, on 08 January 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

What's a movie made post-2000 that you consider a modern day classic? Something that will be remembered decades from now
For me, a classic means if it's on, I'm watching, no matter how many times I've seen it.

Yes, I'm watching, even if it's part way through, or if I can't watch the whole thing, lol.  My poor husband- "Didn't we just see this?" (Erin Brockovich)  Me- "Kind of.  We watched the second half twice last month.  We haven't seen the beginning in a long time, though . . . "     It's the test of an excellent movie; it stands up to me doing that stuff.
I'm not sure I can agree with defining a classic that way. This is why: Schindler's List (I know it's not 21st century) and 12 Years A Slave are modern classics IMHO. A+ flicks for certain. But if I catch them in the middle I don't think I'd sit and watch the rest. If they just started I'm not sure if I'd use the time to watch something that involved. I've seen both once and I'll probably see both again but I'm not itching to see them again.

I've seen Rocky 4 a million times but I'm not sure I'd call it a classic.

#28 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 44043 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Culture Club, Paying Taxes

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 January 2017 - 03:09 AM, said:


I've seen Rocky 4 a million times but I'm not sure I'd call it a classic.
I would.  Jaws as well.

#29 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 24774 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lost in Translation

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:09 AM

View Postgoose, on 09 January 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 January 2017 - 03:09 AM, said:


I've seen Rocky 4 a million times but I'm not sure I'd call it a classic.
I would.  Jaws as well.
I can understand that. I think my example was poor.
Jaws I'd definitely call a classic :yes:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 09 January 2017 - 10:09 AM.


#30 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 44043 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Culture Club, Paying Taxes

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

2011-2015

Midnight in Paris
Moneyball
Life of Pi
The Imitation Game
The Lego Movie
The Martian
The Big Short

#31 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 44043 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Culture Club, Paying Taxes

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:20 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 January 2017 - 10:09 AM, said:

View Postgoose, on 09 January 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 January 2017 - 03:09 AM, said:

I've seen Rocky 4 a million times but I'm not sure I'd call it a classic.
I would.  Jaws as well.
I can understand that. I think my example was poor.
Jaws I'd definitely call a classic :yes:
Actually, I didn't see the "4" after "Rocky"  :lol:

#32 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 44043 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Culture Club, Paying Taxes

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 January 2017 - 03:09 AM, said:

I'm not sure I can agree with defining a classic that way. This is why: Schindler's List (I know it's not 21st century) and 12 Years A Slave are modern classics IMHO. A+ flicks for certain.
I would call those two films achievements or masterpieces, but not classics, for the very reason that I wouldn't ever need to see them again.   I won't seek them out to watch on a rainy day.

#33 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 44043 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Culture Club, Paying Taxes

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:38 AM

Garden State

#34 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 44043 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Culture Club, Paying Taxes

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

I Heart Huckabees

#35 Digital Dad

Digital Dad

    The Dad Abides

  • Members
  • 9761 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

Step Brothers

#36 Stormtron

Stormtron

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 6563 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:VA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:32 AM

There Will Be Blood

#37 Stormtron

Stormtron

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 6563 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:VA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:38 AM

Spirited Away

#38 Stormtron

Stormtron

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 6563 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:VA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:38 AM

City of God

#39 Stormtron

Stormtron

    The God Of Balance

  • Members *
  • 6563 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:VA

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

Cloud Atlas

#40 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 44043 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Culture Club, Paying Taxes

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:29 PM

View PostStormtron, on 09 January 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

City of God
powerful. :yes:




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users