Watching Movies...the Most Important Factor?

JohnnyBlaze

Movies and why you watch what you do  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What's the biggest factor in deciding what movie you watch?

• The movie genre
    • The director
    • The cast
    • The premise
    • The special effects
    • Whether it's based on other source material or not
    • My significant other/others
    • The movie running time
    • The trailer
    • Other

We watch movies for different reasons. Sometimes multiple reasons. But what's the MOST important factor? Or the most common reason you tend to follow?

Sure, free movies would be nice. But you still decide whether or not to watch a free movie. For example, it'd take a lot for me to watch a free movie that has Shia Lebouf in it. It'd also take a lot for me to take a chance on another M.Night Shyamalan flick even if it were free.

So how about it?

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I have to be interested in the premise but movie running time is right up there. I had trouble deciding between the two. If a movie is longer than 120 minutes it's very difficult for me; I don't know why. If it were baseball, I'd sit there for four hours. A good director can tell a story without having to use hours; it's rare that extra time adds quality to the movie. Titanic was an exception.

I have to be interested in the premise but movie running time is right up there. I had trouble deciding between the two. If a movie is longer than 120 minutes it's very difficult for me; I don't know why. If it were baseball, I'd sit there for four hours. A good director can tell a story without having to use hours; it's rare that extra time adds quality to the movie. Titanic was an exception.

If it were baseball, I'd sleep there for four hours! ;)

What about the movie 42? That was over two hours. And it was great!

• Like 1

If it is sincere, and isn't loaded with CGI, slo-mo dodge-the-weapon shots or dreadful Hollywood actors, I'm all for it

It's strange - I am a musician, but I can really enjoy mindless, escapist music .. With movies, it can be the opposite .. There are exceptions, but bad / forced / modern actors are really hard for me to watch ..

Premise would be #1. Has to be interesting to me. Genre is way up there. If it has some sort of sci-fi or fantasy element, that immediately appeals to me. Length is mildly important. I can always turn ot off and watch the rest tomorrow.

If I shall decide if I shall watch a movie or not, I most of the time look what actors it is. If its mostly no-name actors (actors I dont know who they are), then I pick another movie most of the time.

Premise would be #1. Has to be interesting to me. Genre is way up there. If it has some sort of sci-fi or fantasy element, that immediately appeals to me. Length is mildly important. I can always turn ot off and watch the rest tomorrow.

Premise is my #1 too.

Genre is important to me also. I pretty much avoid romance movies because there've been too few that I've liked. It'd take the cast + someone ((aka Mrs. B)) trying to convince me to watch it.

Pretty much the same goes for recent comedies. I can't even remember that last good comedy I've seen...but that's connected to the cast too. For example, I don't find Will Ferrell or Seth Rogen funny whatsoever. It's not that recent but I saw 40 Year Old Virgin and got too few laughs despite nearly everyone I know praising it. It's got some funny parts but nothing that made me laugh too hard. In the end, I thought it was just okay. Right around that time was Little Miss Sunshine. Now that I thought was funny as hell... .but it wasn't a straight up comedy. A drama/comedy? I'm just thinking out loud now but that's probably the most recent funny movie I've seen. And that's probably about a decade old.

• Like 1

If it is sincere, and isn't loaded with CGI, slo-mo dodge-the-weapon shots or dreadful Hollywood actors, I'm all for it

It's strange - I am a musician, but I can really enjoy mindless, escapist music .. With movies, it can be the opposite .. There are exceptions, but bad / forced / modern actors are really hard for me to watch ..

In your opinion, who are the worst modern A-list/well-known actors around?

Premise is my #1 too.

Genre is important to me also. I pretty much avoid romance movies because there've been too few that I've liked. It'd take the cast + someone ((aka Mrs. B)) trying to convince me to watch it.

Pretty much the same goes for recent comedies. I can't even remember that last good comedy I've seen...but that's connected to the cast too. For example, I don't find Will Ferrell or Seth Rogen funny whatsoever. It's not that recent but I saw 40 Year Old Virgin and got too few laughs despite nearly everyone I know praising it. It's got some funny parts but nothing that made me laugh too hard. In the end, I thought it was just okay. Right around that time was Little Miss Sunshine. Now that I thought was funny as hell... .but it wasn't a straight up comedy. A drama/comedy? I'm just thinking out loud now but that's probably the most recent funny movie I've seen. And that's probably about a decade old.

Exactly. I don't like newer comedies either. Romance movies for the most part bore me to tears though I don't mind it being part of a bigger plot as long as the story is good.

In your opinion, who are the worst modern A-list/well-known actors around?

Definite red flags:

Nicholas Cage, Jenifer Aniston, Will Smith, Dwayne Johnson, Tom Hanks, Sandra Bullock, John Travolta

The Shit List

I'd put Brad Pitt on there too, but I liked Fight Club, so his presence in a film isn't a complete deterrent

There are definitely more ..

Tom Cruise

If a movie is longer than 120 minutes it's very difficult for me; I don't know why.

You wouldn't like this movie, which clocks in at 4 hours and 15 minutes. :LOL:

gettysburg-bd.jpg

I watched it last week. It really didn't seem like four hours. We started it before my mother took my kids to see the movie "Sing". After Sing, the kids and Grandma went to Wal-Mart. When they got back home, the movie was still going. :LOL:

• Like 1

If a movie is longer than 120 minutes it's very difficult for me; I don't know why.

You wouldn't like this movie, which clocks in at 4 hours and 15 minutes. :LOL:

gettysburg-bd.jpg

I watched it last week. It really didn't seem like four hours. We started it before my mother took my kids to see the movie "Sing". After Sing, the kids and Grandma went to Wal-Mart. When they got back home, the movie was still going. :LOL:

I was thinking that Gone With the Wind was over two hours also ! :D I have seen Gettysburg a few times, but in pieces! :) My son and friends really got into Civil War history in high school (we are not that far from Gettysburg) and they used to watch the video over and over. I used to drop in for parts of it. No way could I sit through the whole thing ! It's pretty good.

Edited by blueschica