Apples!

ILSnwdog

Codling Moth larva attack the fruit as its was starting to form from the bud of the blossom, hence the necessity of a once a week spraying from the time of blossom budding until just before harvest. The one year my dad did this he used a fruit and orchard spray by Ortho that was a dry powder you mixed with water and sprayed on the tree. They now have a liquid concentrate that you do the same thing with. Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

I'm eating one right now and it's awful. It's a Ranier Honey Crisp. I'm going to have to put some Jiff on it to doctor it up.

Honeycrisp apples used to be one of my favorite apples ever but they taste so bland when you buy am at the grocery now.

I remember when Fiji apples first came out...they were delicious! Now they're so bland as to be inedible. Honeycrisp will follow soon, I'm sure. Pink Ladies are still pretty good...I usually veer towards those as my go-to apple.

• Like 1

I'm eating one right now and it's awful. It's a Ranier Honey Crisp. I'm going to have to put some Jiff on it to doctor it up.

Honeycrisp apples used to be one of my favorite apples ever but they taste so bland when you buy am at the grocery now.

I remember when Fiji apples first came out...they were delicious! Now they're so bland as to be inedible. Honeycrisp will follow soon, I'm sure. Pink Ladies are still pretty good...I usually veer towards those as my go-to apple.

They have bred apples to be so big now but they have bred the flavor right out of them along with it.

• Like 2

I was out driving around earlier and got hungry. This thread popped into my mind so I decided to stop and get an apple. Since there were no organic produce stores around I had to stop at the supermarket, where I bought a Gala apple. It looked beautiful and was very juicy, but had almost no apple taste. I learned my lesson -- only purchase stuff (and preferably heirloom varieties) from organic produce stores or farmers' markets.

I just bought a couple fresh organic Gala apples at the farmers' market. Delicious. And unwaxed, too, which is great.

Tis the season for apples. There are so many different varieties. Do you have a favorite?

I just finished a Honey Crisp direct from the orchard. Honey Crisp are amazing. So juicy, you need a napkin. So crisp, they crunch when you bite into them. And they are so sweet! :drool: And apples from the orchard taste so much better than apples from the store. Obviously, apples from the store are not as fresh, and I think they flash freeze them to preserve them. I think that effects the flavor.

I also like Granny Smith. So tart and delicious! :)

As soon as you pick fruit, the sugar in it starts to break down so the longer it sits the less sweet it will be. Right off the tree/plant is generally the best way to eat anything that grows in the ground.

I don't think they flash freeze apples or most any fresh fruit or vegetable. Once you freeze it it has to be sold frozen because it will turn to mush once thawed. Most are just packed in crates and refrigerated to slow down decay.

I like to mix McIntosh, Granny Smith and Staymen apples (if I can find them) whenever I am baking anything like cobbler or pie. To eat as a snack, I like gala, fuji, pink lady, honey crisp, red and gold delicious.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree. Apples years ago had more flavor. Even straight from the orchard apples now taste bland.

Bred for appearance and size, rather than flavor. That killed the Red Delicious.

Red delicious suck.

Yeah I agree. Apples years ago had more flavor. Even straight from the orchard apples now taste bland.

Bred for appearance and size, rather than flavor. That killed the Red Delicious.

Red delicious suck.

Uh. I didn't say that.

Red delicious suck.

Uh. I didn't say that.

No, you didn't. I did. Red Delicious never taste good.

Red delicious suck.

Uh. I didn't say that.

The (independent) grocery store where I shop doesn't even carry Red Delicious, presumably for this reason.

• Like 1

At my house in Detroit we had a Macintosh tree that for the most part gave us wormy apples. The worms were actually Codling Moth Larvae. My dad found out that there was an insecticide spray for the larvae which you applied once a week from first bud until 10 days before harvest, followed by a clear water rinse before harvest. So, one year he did the whole regimen. Between that and the weather, the tree exploded with big, heavy, worm free, fantastic apples. What we didn't eat raw or bake into pies we gave to the neighbors.

Nowadays my go to apple is the Granny Smith, and I try to have one every day when there available and good. If they get the least bit overripe they get grainy and mushy.

I have 19 apple trees on the property that I just moved into in May. I was too busy to spray, so my apples were trashed. :(

I will be spraying next spring.

Red delicious suck.

Uh. I didn't say that.

Yes but you could have said it without changing my comment.

What did I change from your post? I don't see that I changed anything. If I did, I apologize.

What did I change from your post? I don't see that I changed anything. If I did, I apologize.

:eyeroll:

Just found a recipe for apple butter that I can make in a crock pot. It calls for 3-4 different varieties of apples. Will give it a try then report back. I love apple butter, never have tried to make it myself though. Apple sauce, yes, apple butter, no. I'm also new to slow-cookers...well, not exactly new, per se, new to being able to make anything good in one. Though I did just make a really good recipe for beef and barley soup. Super easy too. Anyhow...blah, blah, blah...like I said, I'll report back after attempting the apple butter. Wish me luck! :D Edited by Alien Girl
  • Like 1

Just found a recipe for apple butter that I can make in a crock pot. It calls for 3-4 different varieties of apples. Will give it a try then report back. I love apple butter, never have tried to make it myself though. Apple sauce, yes, apple butter, no. I'm also new to slow-cookers...well, not exactly new, per se, new to being able to make anything good in one. Though I did just make a really good recipe for beef and barley soup. Super easy too. Anyhow...blah, blah, blah...like I said, I'll report back after attempting the apple butter. Wish me luck! :D

I'm new to slow cookers too. My first try was pot roast and was almost a disaster. Kind of skittish about using it again.

Let me know how this turns out for you. And post the recipe please.

• Like 1

Just found a recipe for apple butter that I can make in a crock pot. It calls for 3-4 different varieties of apples. Will give it a try then report back. I love apple butter, never have tried to make it myself though. Apple sauce, yes, apple butter, no. I'm also new to slow-cookers...well, not exactly new, per se, new to being able to make anything good in one. Though I did just make a really good recipe for beef and barley soup. Super easy too. Anyhow...blah, blah, blah...like I said, I'll report back after attempting the apple butter. Wish me luck! :D

I'm new to slow cookers too. My first try was pot roast and was almost a disaster. Kind of skittish about using it again.

OMG, Pot roast, the bane of my existence as far as slow cookers are concerned. Until, that is, I came across this one.

http://www.thecountr...-pot-roast.html

Seriously easy, seriously good (do NOT omit the peppers), probably not considered the most gourmet but who cares?! It's damn good. Give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

Right then, I will report back with the apple butter results next week.

Edited by Alien Girl
  • Like 1

Royal Gala and Cox's Pippin, along with Braeburn. Though I do prefer Pears. :drool:

Edit, my daughter loves 'Pink ladies', always think of grease, when we get those :)

Gala apples are my favorite!

And I do like a good, tart and crisp Granny Smith as well.

• Like 1

OMG, Pot roast, the bane of my existence as far as slow cookers are concerned. Until, that is, I came across this one.

Seriously easy, seriously good (do NOT omit the peppers), probably not considered the most gourmet but who cares?! It's damn good. Give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

I don't even know how you can mess up a pot roast in a slow cooker. About the only think I can think of is to not cook it long enough. The meat would be tough. But 10 hrs on low and the beef is just falling apart.

MMMMM. It's getting on to that time of year too.

Though I do prefer Pears. :drool:

Ever have one of the "Royal Riviera" pears from Harry and David? They are ridiculously expensive, but so delicious. I get them sent to me at Christmas from my company. I would never buy them otherwise. They are heavenly though. :drool:

I'm going to answer this post here on my pot roast thread: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/91089-pot-roast-recipes/page__st__140

Got home from the road trip to find that the in-laws had left six lugs* of fresh apples from Washington! Fujis, Grannies, Goldens, Reds...and some Asian Pears thrown in to boot!

:drool:

Fresh apples...apple pie... apple crisp...

• Like 3