Mr. Not

81 members have voted

1. 1. Snakes & Arrows or Vapor Trails?

• Snakes & Arrows
    • Vapor Trails

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like quite a few songs on S&A, but I've never been able to get into VT. VT has some okay to decently good songs, but S&A is just a much stronger album top to bottom in my opinion. I also loved the S&A songs live, but I don't recall having the same reaction to the VT songs live.

Here's really all you need to know.

Rateyourmusic allows anyone (not just hardcore Rush fans) to vote on any album. People can vote 1/2 star through 5 stars (essentially 1 through 10). The aggregate ratings are:

Vapor Trails - 3.23 out of 5 (917 votes)

Snakes & Arrows - 3.56 out of 5 (1,159 votes)

With about a thousand people voting on each album, give or take, S&A is the clear winner.

SOURCE

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 10 2011, 09:26 PM)

Rateyourmusic allows anyone (not just hardcore Rush fans) to vote on any album. People can vote 1/2 star through 5 stars (essentially 1 through 10). The aggregate ratings are:

With about a thousand people voting on each album, give or take, S&A is the clear winner.

SOURCE

LOCK THE THREAD! Goob just laid down the law. goodpost.gif

I wouldn't go so far as to say S&A was a clear winner -

And lets not forget our old friend subjectivity.

Ultimately, if you prefer one over the other, just listen to it a little more. It doesn't matter how much "proof" you insist on, you won't change someone opinion.

IMHO

VT, for me.

Earthshine, One Little Victory, Ceiling Unlimited and of course Ghost Rider, are the best of the best.

S&A, has its moments, but nothing really stands out other than being "good" rather than "freakin' awesome" imho

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Feb 11 2011, 12:31 AM)
I wouldn't go so far as to say S&A was a clear winner -
And lets not forget our old friend subjectivity.

I completely understand that all opinions are subjective... in all cases but this one. S&A is objectively superior to VT. tongue.gif 1287.gif

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Feb 11 2011, 12:31 AM)
It doesn't matter how much "proof" you insist on, you won't change someone opinion.

Understood completely. The only thing that polls or ratings show is consensus opinion, which for me is at least interesting. That said, everyone could hate an album but me, and if I loved it, I'd just assume everyone was nuts, or on drugs, or wrong. Of course, they're free to think the same thing about me (and they do, or they just assume I'm an arrogant, over-confident, redundant egomaniac, and I'm ok with that too). tongue.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Feb 10 2011, 11:16 PM)
Vapor Trails has Earthshine. Snakes and Arrows has Far Cry. 2 classics.

A lot of the other stuff on both albums are fillers. In the end, went with S and A...the 2 instrumentals puts it on top for me

i wish i could understand the love for far cry but i can't. certain guitar parts on there make me cringe and than geddy won't be quiet for, well, the whole song. tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 11 2011, 05:08 AM)

A lot of the other stuff on both albums are fillers. In the end, went with S and A...the 2 instrumentals puts it on top for me

i wish i could understand the love for far cry but i can't. certain guitar parts on there make me cringe and than geddy won't be quiet for, well, the whole song. tongue.gif

The only thing not to love about this song is the lack of a melodic guitar solo, but it's so undeniably awesome that I forgive Rush that. Basically, this song is an uplifting rocking Rush anthem reminiscent of their very best classic work. I don't get how any Rush fan couldn't love it. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Brizel @ Feb 11 2011, 12:19 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 10 2011, 09:26 PM)

Rateyourmusic allows anyone (not just hardcore Rush fans) to vote on any album.  People can vote 1/2 star through 5 stars (essentially 1 through 10).  The aggregate ratings are:

SOURCE

LOCK THE THREAD! Goob just laid down the law. goodpost.gif

I thought of putting END OF THREAD after my initial post, but I knew it wouldn't do any good. Some people will insist on liking VT no matter what you throw at them. eh.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 11 2011, 07:25 AM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 11 2011, 05:08 AM)

The only thing not to love about this song is the lack of a melodic guitar solo, but it's so undeniably awesome that I forgive Rush that. Basically, this song is an uplifting rocking Rush anthem reminiscent of their very best classic work. I don't get how any Rush fan couldn't love it. confused13.gif

it's not for me.

VT sucks production wise, and is rough to listen to critically (IMHO) Live some of the tunes came off better, but I still think it's a weak album

S&A has a lot of different things, has depth, and the songs are just great!

It's my favorite post MP album!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 11 2011, 12:26 AM)

SOURCE

according to your 'source:

VT rates a 64.6%

S&A rates a 71.2%

you're calling a 6.6% difference culled from a general music rating site somehow definitive proof?

come on, G - you're personal prejudice is a little too transparent here wink.gif

Vapor Trails for me.

Such an emotional album, with such rocking material. Sure the production sucks, but I think it suits the album, actually. I'd gobble up a Remaster though, of course.

Snakes and Arrows sort of plods along. I love a lot of material on S&A, Far Cry, Armor and Sword, Mal Nar... but a lot of songs just seem to stay slow.

Archived