Idea : Rush vinyl box set

gabpower

Here's a letter I've sent to Anthem.

You may not agree on everything said in it but please try to stay focused on the matter wich is : Anthem should release a Rush vinyl box set.

Any new ideas are welcome and if you agree with me, you can send an email to Anthem too asking them that they should make one of those boxes. The more they receive, the more likely it will be done.

Anthem Entertainment's email : sro-anthem@sro-anthem.com

Hello people at Anthem!

I've been a Rush fan for a long time and there's one thing that came to my mind this week when I received my new Bad Religion vinyl box set : RUSH should have a vinyl box set as well!

Every studio/live albums, maybe limited to 2000 up to 5000, in a sturdy box would sell out for sure. Snakes & Arrows on double 180 gram vinyl was limited to 5000 and sold out in about a year on the band's website.
That would be great because Test For Echo never got pressed on vinyl and Counterpart and Vapor Trail can only be acquired for $100+ each over auction sites.

Vinyl is still alive people! A lot of people are getting (back) into it. For exemple : I know a lot of people that acquired the newest Bad Religion box set because the price was alright is it's a limited one time only collector's item. You can check how it looks here to give you an idea : http://www.kingsroadmerch.com/epitaph-records/view/?id=1668
There's a new Beatles vinyl box set coming soon, the recent represses of Tom Waits all sold out in a few weeks and most major releases get a vinyl treatment nowadays and they even include an MP3 card to download the album so you get the best of both worlds. Most fans have a strong collection of CDs but vinyl records are something special.

Judging by all your recent CD and DVD releases, you people are in for the money by keeping the fans attention with new products so this idea should be highly considered before Rush releases a new album (include it in the box!). You don't have to wait until Rush retires before going on this project because you can leave space for a few records in the box so that the fans can add them themselves by buying them on your website whenever Rush releases a new album.

Finally, I know that pressing 30+ albums is costly but please don't burn the fans by selling them 500$ a piece if you ever get into this project. Rush has legions of fans everywhere and has you know, his a legendary rock band wich already put its staple in music history for you guys at Anthem for providing us their great sound, I say thank you very much.

I love the idea

to make it more affordable/approachable to fans, Rush would do well to offer box sets in phases (like Genesis did with their recent CD box sets)

to offer just one box set that contains everything would be far too expensive and alienate fans of specific periods (i.e. those that only want the 70's LP's for instance)

so - I'd propose:

Rush | 1973-1976 LP BOX I

Rush

FBN

COS

+ bonus: 7" of Not Fade Away/You Can't Fight It

Rush | 1977-1981 LP BOX II

AFTK

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Rush | 1982-1989 LP BOX III

Signals

p/g

PoW

HYF

Presto

+ bonus 7" Pieces Of Eight (Neil Peart)

Rush | 1990-2004 LP BOX IV

RTB

CP

T4E

VT

Feedback

Rush | 2005-2012 LP BOX V

S&A

CA

- then break out the live stuff:

Rush | LIVE BOX I

ATWAS

ESL

ASOH

+ bonus LP 'Live In St. Louis 1980'

Rush | LIVE BOX II

DS

RIR

R30 (bonus - complete show w/Bravado, OLV, By-Tor, La Villa, YYZ, RSA, The Trees and Secret Touch)

Rush | LIVE BOX III

S&A live

Time Machine live

CA live

^ - each box set could be kept to roughly $50-$75 that way

and for the truly ambitious, Rush could offer a ltd. ed. slipcase for sale separately, to house the whole works

QUOTE (RushFanForever @ Nov 20 2010, 10:19 AM)
I think Rush should do what The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, U2 and others have currently done and that is release a digital box set on iTunes.

You got all of the recordings plus additional bonus material.

I wouldn't be in to that. I believe in a physical copy of music; it's much more satisfying to me. Especial in vinyl form. old.gif NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (gabpower @ Nov 19 2010, 10:47 AM)

You may not agree on everything said in it but please try to stay focused on the matter wich is : Anthem should release a Rush vinyl box set.

Any new ideas are welcome and if you agree with me, you can send an email to Anthem too asking them that they should make one of those boxes. The more they receive, the more likely it will be done.

Hello people at Anthem!

I've been a Rush fan for a long time and there's one thing that came to my mind this week when I received my new Bad Religion vinyl box set : RUSH should have a vinyl box set as well!

Every studio/live albums, maybe limited to 2000 up to 5000, in a sturdy box would sell out for sure. Snakes & Arrows on double 180 gram vinyl was limited to 5000 and sold out in about a year on the band's website.
That would be great because Test For Echo never got pressed on vinyl and Counterpart and Vapor Trail can only be acquired for $100+ each over auction sites.

Vinyl is still alive people! A lot of people are getting (back) into it. For exemple : I know a lot of people that acquired the newest Bad Religion box set because the price was alright is it's a limited one time only collector's item. You can check how it looks here to give you an idea : http://www.kingsroadmerch.com/epitaph-records/view/?id=1668
There's a new Beatles vinyl box set coming soon, the recent represses of Tom Waits all sold out in a few weeks and most major releases get a vinyl treatment nowadays and they even include an MP3 card to download the album so you get the best of both worlds. Most fans have a strong collection of CDs but vinyl records are something special.

Judging by all your recent CD and DVD releases, you people are in for the money by keeping the fans attention with new products so this idea should be highly considered before Rush releases a new album (include it in the box!). You don't have to wait until Rush retires before going on this project because you can leave space for a few records in the box so that the fans can add them themselves by buying them on your website whenever Rush releases a new album.

Finally, I know that pressing 30+ albums is costly but please don't burn the fans by selling them 500$ a piece if you ever get into this project. Rush has legions of fans everywhere and has you know, his a legendary rock band wich already put its staple in music history for you guys at Anthem for providing us their great sound, I say thank you very much.

This is a really good idea, and I think ghostworks has a good followup suggestion to the idea as well - and I do also agree with savagegrace26 (though, savage, you could have been a little kinder in your criticism) that you probably should have proofread for grammar and spelling errors before sending off that email. I was trying to read it out loud to my husband and was having issues trying to get through some of your sentences in figuring out what you were trying to say. Having said that, I think it is a great idea, and if it were released, I hope that we have the money to purchase it! trink39.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Nov 21 2010, 03:20 AM)

Hello people at Anthem!

This is a really good idea, and I think ghostworks has a good followup suggestion to the idea as well - and I do also agree with savagegrace26 (though, savage, you could have been a little kinder in your criticism) that you probably should have proofread for grammar and spelling errors before sending off that email. I was trying to read it out loud to my husband and was having issues trying to get through some of your sentences in figuring out what you were trying to say. Having said that, I think it is a great idea, and if it were released, I hope that we have the money to purchase it! trink39.gif smile.gif

I just said it needs to be rewritten. Considering what I wanted to say I don't see how that's impolite.

Maybe I have Asperger Syndrome.

QUOTE (savagegrace26 @ Nov 21 2010, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (LakesideMaiden @ Nov 21 2010, 03:20 AM)

Hello people at Anthem!

I just said it needs to be rewritten. Considering what I wanted to say I don't see how that's impolite.

Maybe I have Asperger Syndrome.

you really may want to watch what you say about that too. My son has Asperger's, and there are quite a few parents on this board who have children with Autism as well, and there are many, including myself, who could take offense to that comment, offhand or no.

All I was saying was to explain yourself more when you give criticism. It's called constructive criticism.

Good idea. I know that there's supposed to be a Dio box set like that coming out soon which has all his solo releases in it. I don't see why Rush couldn't do the same thing at some point. The only negative is that the cost would be quite high and some might not be able to afford it. I would deffinitly get one but just as a collectors item since I don't listen to vinyl at all.

I just want to add that English is not my main language hence the grammar and syntax errors.

I loved the idea of separate box sets, maybe not 6 boxes but 3 would be perfect I think.

Many artists recently did limited boxed sets and they all sold out!

Cheers!

Archived