Kevin Dubrow dies

treeduck

http://thevegaseye.com/home/2007/11/26/far...-be-missed.html

Farewell Kevin You Will be Missed!

Posted on Nov 25, 2007 by POLITZ | Post a Comment

1955 - 2007

I am sad to have to report the passing of one of my closests friends, Kevin DuBrow. DuBrows body was found by friends, on Sunday in his Las Vegas home. Dubrow recently spent a birthday weekend in New Orleans where he ate great food and even caught The Cult at The House of Blues. Kevin loved fine foods and was a true gourmet at heart. Kevin was a true Las Vegas icon and could be spotted eating nightly at any of his favorite Vegas eateries like Carlucci's, Simons Kitchen, The Palm or Messa Grill. DubBrow grew up in Hollywood, California, before settling in the Los Angeles suburb of Van Nuys at age 13. By the time he was in his mid-teens he had developed an appreciation for a number of British rock acts including the Small Faces, Spooky Tooth, Rod Stewart and Humble Pie. It was the latter of those influences that would leave the biggest impact on DuBrow and act as a compass in his musical career.

Quiet Riot

The original band was started by Randy Rhoads in 1975, but broke up in 1979 when Rhoads went on to join Ozzy Osbourne's band. In 1980, DuBrow formed a band he named DuBrow, which also included brothers Tony and Carlos Cavazo. After Rhoads' death in 1982, Dubrow changed the name of the band to Quiet Riot, which his record company felt would allow the band to capitalize on wide name recognition. Rudy Sarzo ended up joining the band once again before the release of Metal Health, which stormed to the top of the charts, making Quiet Riot the first metal band to achieve number one status on their (U.S. release) debut album. Songs like "Cum on Feel the Noize", and "Metal Health (Bang Your Head)" then launched them into national fame.

Quiet Riot continued through the 90's in several different incarnations. They released several albums including Terrified, Down to the Bone, Alive and Well and Guilty Pleasures. They continue to exist as a band to this day.

In 2004, DuBrow recorded a collection of cover versions for his first solo album, In for the Kill.

During 2006, Quiet Riot worked on a new studio album that was expected to be released in either 2006 or 2007. The band stated that they had set no timetable for the release of the album, that they are financing the project themselves, and that it would be released when they see fit and on their terms.

The album, Rehab, was released on October 3, 2006. The lineup on the album is Kevin DuBrow, Frankie Banali, Tony Franklin, & Neil Citron. Legendary singer Glenn Hughes also makes a guest vocal appearance on the album. However, as was noted above, this version of the band no longer exists.

What a shame. Sorry to read that. Quiet Riot was my favorite band in the mid 80s (when they were big) just before I discovered Rush.

that suck's. i saw them open for iron maiden in 1983 at the garden. r.i.p

He definitely didn't hold back when speaking his mind.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Nov 26 2007, 01:45 PM)
Did I miss where it said how/why he died? confused13.gif

No Goobs, there was no info on that, just that they found the body...

I found the piece by accident on some conspiracy forum, godlike productions, I was looking at the "official we hate George Noory thread" and I saw the kevin Dubrow death thread. I thought it might be a hoax, but I saw the story and his wiki page and it appears to be the case, though I couldn't find anything else on it. But yeah now that I look it's on Blabbermouth.net now too, so it does appear to be true.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Nov 26 2007, 02:13 PM)
As I said on Metal Sludge just a few minutes ago. Never a big fan of Quiet Riot but still - R.I.P. Kevin. sad.gif

No, I wasn't a big fan either, but I followed their progress back in the day whether I liked it or not because plenty of people I knew were into the band and the Randy Rhoads connection kept me interested for a while. The Slade cover song was not bad too.

I seen Quiet Riot countless times back in the day. Every time I seen them, they were a good time. Last year they played our local classic rock station's bday bash, but I didn't go. I wanted to, but there were too many obstacles. I'm really bumming about that now.

I seen Kevin front Quiet Riot in massive arenas and in small clubs and theaters. He never treated any audience any differently. He gave it a hundred percent every show, no matter how big the crowd was. He was a consumate performer and I will miss him and hate knowing that I will never see them again. sad.gif

The first time I saw QR was in support of Metal Health right down the street from my home in Scranton. I was right up front for the show and I played that album to DEATH my first semester of college. I don't think I took off the tour shirt I bought that night for the whole semester either. laugh.gif

BANG YOUR HEAD Kev. 1022.gif

rose.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Nov 26 2007, 07:58 PM)
I seen Quiet Riot countless times back in the day. Every time I seen them, they were a good time. Last year they played our local classic rock station's bday bash, but I didn't go. I wanted to, but there were too many obstacles. I'm really bumming about that now.

I seen Kevin front Quiet Riot in massive arenas and in small clubs and theaters. He never treated any audience any differently. He gave it a hundred percent every show, no matter how big the crowd was. He was a consumate performer and I will miss him and hate knowing that I will never see them again. sad.gif

The first time I saw QR was in support of Metal Health right down the street from my home in Scranton. I was right up front for the show and I played that album to DEATH my first semester of college. I don't think I took off the tour shirt I bought that night for the whole semester either. laugh.gif

BANG YOUR HEAD Kev. 1022.gif

rose.gif

I agree. They always played a kick show.

I saw them in the eighties & then in 2002 at a remote club in Ohio. The club was in the sticks & there was maybe 200 people there. I thought they were a great band. It is just so sad.................... sad.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Nov 26 2007, 09:25 AM)
We all rocked to that Metal Health album back in the day... sad.gif

Yes sir, sure did. Loved the music on that album.

I saw them live in 1983 in Boutwell Auditorium in Birmingham, Ala. I don't think they had any one open for them, if they did I simply can't remember.

Sorry to hear about Kevin's passing.

i went round to my mum's last weekend to help her put her christmas decorations up. i had to climb into the loft to find the tree and decorations and as i was making my way through the debris i noticed a box with an old, grey t shirt half falling out of it. i pulled the t shirt out and it was my (very) old quiet riot 'metal health' tour t shirt from 198something. spooky!

QUOTE (Geds @ Dec 5 2007, 09:57 PM)
A drummer friend of mine from Texas is a friend of Frankie Banali....I never met any of these guys, though...

...wish I could say the same!

Not to speak to ill of the deceased but I did meet him about 14 years ago in a small venue and I'm amazed he fit his ego through the door, he didn't treat anyone around him nice at all. He even asked me and a few others if we were "anybody", when we said we were with one of the opening bands, he just wisked us aside and asked the manger why we were still inside the club.

He moved on to the next set of girls and began his little lines...and we were asked to go outside, he didn't like us in the club.

...anyhow I hope he found more in his life before passing and may he rest in peace.

QUOTE (rushbass @ Dec 11 2007, 07:29 PM)
^^^ yeppers, with an album name like "Rehab" I figured drugs had to be the cause of death...

Well if he overdosed at least he was getting paid well toward his end...

Archived