New Green Day song is here! "BANG BANG"!

Entre_Perpetuo

Do you like the new Green Day song?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Like it? It's totally wicked! Hurrah! Hurrah!
    • This sucks
    • Green Day sucks
    • Other...

I have but two complaints. Some of the melodies sound half ripped off of other great Green Day tunes, but stitched together in a new way, and there's so much going on in the mix that Billie's vocals really do sound like their coming in through a staticky radio transmission...but I suppose that may have been thematically intended as the new album is called Revolution Radio. However, this thing rocks harder than anything on American Idiot, has an awesome extended drum fill, has intelligent and refreshing lyrics (for Green Day), and a sick middle eastern breakdown of a bridge. Plus, there's much less pop in their brand of pop punk here, and much more punk.
  • Like 1

loved it too

i know green Day get's picked on a lot.

i got back heavy into them with American Idiot.

Loved how they were more fun and less political on the last "triple album" but i suppose that might be back on the new record, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

loved it too

Loved how they were more fun and less political on the last "triple album" but i suppose that might be back on the new record, lol

Mick

Green Day are great when they're just having fun (Nimrod might be my fav), but tbh, now is almost a necessary time for them to be hyper politicized again. Not only is it great marketing considering how well it worked with American Idiot capitalizing on post-9/11 Bush frustrations, but a politicized heavy commercial rock record might be the only way some of us are ever going to make any sense out of this election cycle...(don't mean to start a political discussion)

• Like 2

loved it too

Mick

Green Day are great when they're just having fun (Nimrod might be my fav), but tbh, now is almost a necessary time for them to be hyper politicized again. Not only is it great marketing considering how well it worked with American Idiot capitalizing on post-9/11 Bush frustrations, but a politicized heavy commercial rock record might be the only way some of us are ever going to make any sense out of this election cycle...(don't mean to start a political discussion)

i agree. and i love both political records.....21st Century Breakdown even more then AI.

But i do think they needed that nice breather. so i'm ready for this again.

Nimrod is so good, BTW.

Mick

• Like 2

loved it too

Mick

i agree. and i love both political records.....21st Century Breakdown even more then AI.

But i do think they needed that nice breather. so i'm ready for this again.

Nimrod is so good, BTW.

Mick

I still haven't heard 21BD or the whole trilogy...hehe. Probably time I took a listen.

Ikr? Nimrod is super underrated IMO. I have a hard enough time picking favorites between Dookie and AI, but when you throw Nimrod into the mix I lose all understanding of how they get so much flack. Great great album, and I LOVE the artwork, hilarious in a junior high kind of way.

• Like 1

They get so much flack.......cause they got popular. doesn't that suck? lol

They were everywhere in the 90's. i grew up in the thick of it, lol.

i miss thoese exciting times, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4

Here's an interview with Billie about the new record. Looks like political themes did play a major role, but not in an overly conscious way, more just in an environmental way.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/billie-joe-armstrong-on-green-days-topical-new-lp-w433483

• Like 1

Hacks. But hacks with a decent song from time to time.

I sincerely scratch my head at their success.

Totally derivative and flat out thieves.

Baffled.

and yet my buddy......you felt the need to post........so they got ya caring a tiny bit, lol :P :D :D

Mick

• Like 2

Baffled.

and yet my buddy......you felt the need to post........so they got ya caring a tiny bit, lol :P :D :D

Mick

I don't hate them like I do some others, but I am sincerely baffled by their success and acclaim, so I'm compelled to comment. Why them? What have they done other than ride the coattails of what came before?

• Like 3

Baffled.

Mick

I don't hate them like I do some others, but I am sincerely baffled by their success and acclaim, so I'm compelled to comment. Why them? What have they done other than ride the coattails of what came before?

i was kidding. i get it. totally.

but i find myself not caring about that stuff.

they are all the things you said.....bar the hacks thing. but for me their great fun.....so i really don't care.

Mick

• Like 1

Baffled.

Mick

Well, Billie has an instantly recognizable voice and a McCartney-perfect sense of melody, and they're a paragon of commercial modern rock radio material while maintaining most of their edge.

• Like 1

Baffled.

Mick

Well, Billie has an instantly recognizable voice and a McCartney-perfect sense of melody, and they're a paragon of commercial modern rock radio material while maintaining most of their edge.

That's my point. For over two decades I never heard any edge in their music. It was always trying to be edgy. I will praise Dookie, though. It's their best album.

Baffled.

Mick

That's my point. For over two decades I never heard any edge in their music. It was always trying to be edgy. I will praise Dookie, though. It's their best album.

I've yet to hear an ounce of try-hard in pre-2000s Green Day. When it has an edge, it's real. Post-2000s, yeah the edge is produced and thought out, but it still sounds good and is like candy to my ears.

• Like 1

Baffled.

Mick

I've yet to hear an ounce of try-hard in pre-2000s Green Day. When it has an edge, it's real. Post-2000s, yeah the edge is produced and thought out, but it still sounds good and is like candy to my ears.

That's fine. Enjoy all the music you can.

I enjoy discussing music. And sometimes I am baffled and I like to explore why I am baffled.

Another thing about Green Day that gets me is the many cases of "coincidence" with their music. I totally understand that, from time to time, one artist will "borrow" from another artist, sometimes on purpose, sometimes not on purpose. It happens. Green Day has a lot of "coincidences" that lead me to believe they are hacks. Too many coincidences lead to a pattern that is, for me, hard to ignore.

I'll end this post by pointing out I do love "When I Come Around". Great song.

• Like 1

not to crap on green day cause i am a fan but yes this made me laugh on first listen.

listen carefully.

Mick

Lol, I'll give you that, but I think they both sound like "Stand" by REM

And now that I've just watched that video for the first time, I have a new definition for lame to submit to Meriiam-Webster. WOW. That dancing...

• Like 1

Great song!

Noticed your interest in the coming soon thread last week or so, was wondering when you'd show up here. I agree!

• Like 1

They had some good songs in the 90's, but since then? LOL

The second chorus "I wanna be a celebrity martyr" is pretty good. Far from a good song overall, though. I'll take it over that 21 Guns or Blvd of Broken Dreams dogshit at least.