TRAFFIC

Lorraine

... and your head is spinning from a loud guitar

If my memory is correct, the last stanza of that song was written while Steve was recording the vocals to it. I can't think of his name (the one in Traffic who wrote the lyrics) right now, but he quickly scribbled the lyrics on a piece of paper and then shoved the paper in front of Steve so he could sing them.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Can't believe I missed this thread the first time around.

I certainly give Traffic (and Blind Faith) big thumbs up.

Saw Traffic with the Grateful Dead in '94. Great show.

Love playing Dear Mr. Fantasy with my band. Very fun to stretch than one out. I'm guessing one drunken night :smoke: we probably played it for 30 minutes.

• Like 5

It was Jim Capaldi, and I'm trying to find where I read about the last verse being written at the last possible moment.

Just found it:

Capaldi had originally written only two verses of lyrics. He quickly wrote the third verse while Winwood was recording the song's vocal and slipped it in front of him in time for him to sing it.
  • Like 1

I've had Sea of Joy going through my mind all morning. Have to go listen to it.

Steve Winwood has always fascinated me. He's been around since I was 11 when he was in Spencer Davis Group. He went from one great band to another until he went out on his own finally.

Edit: By the way, did you see what Amazon wants for the Blind Faith cd? :o It must be a real collector's item.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Saw Traffic with the Grateful Dead in '94. Great show.

I did, too. A few times! :fistbump:

:fistbump:

• Like 1

Wow.. I'm surprised the Blind Faith CD is out of print! That's .... weird.

I saw Traffic in 94 also.. not with the Dead though.. just by themselves. GREAT show.

Is that why it's so expensive?

That's a near perfect album. Why would they stop making it?

• Like 1

I saw Traffic in 94 also.. not with the Dead though.. just by themselves. GREAT show.

yeah, I suspect that is why. But, I don't know why something which has sold so well over so many years would go out of print... unless they're going to re-issue it again!! :)

• Like 1

yeah, I suspect that is why. But, I don't know why something which has sold so well over so many years would go out of print... unless they're going to re-issue it again!! :)

We can hope.

• Like 1

I think i caught that tour too. Traffic with the doobie brothers opening!

• Like 2

this thread deserves a BUMP, because Traffic still rules.

Last week I found a cool 2 CD Westwood One/Superstar Concerts radio show at Amoeba Hollywood - $10 .. it had live Traffic from London in 1970 and Winwood in 1987.

• Like 3

One of the other forums I frequent is doing a "Traffic Album By Album" thread, which has got me listening to the whole catalog, in chronological order. We're up to "ON THE ROAD" now.

Man... this music is timeless.

A lot of that music from back then is timeless. Yes, a lot also sounds dated, but as many more don't.

• Like 1

Do you know that every single member of this band is dead with the exception of Steve Winwood and their drummer who is in prison for life for murder????

Jim Capaldi died of stomach cancer at age 60.

Rich Grech died of an overdose at 43

Chris Wood died of pneumonia at 39

Rebop Kwaku Baah died of an undisclosed cause at 38

Jim Gordon is in prison for a murder he committed in 1983.

Isn't that bizarre?

I remember one time in the 1980's listening to Scott Muni interview Eric Clapton and they were looking at the pictures on the inside cover of the Layla album and he was saying "This one is dead. That one is dead. This one is in the loony bin."

Really makes you wonder. Sometimes the business seems to be the survival of the fittest.

Edited by Lorraine

Do you know that every single member of this band is dead with the exception of Steve Winwood and their drummer who is in prison for life for murder????

Isn't that bizarre?

I remember one time in the 1980's listening to Scott Muni interview Eric Clapton and they were looking at the pictures on the inside cover of the Layla album and he was saying "This one is dead. That one is dead. This one is in the loony bin."

Really makes you wonder. Sometimes the business seems to be the survival of the fittest.

Not enough medicated goo!

• Like 2

Isn't that bizarre?

Not enough medicated goo!

Don't you find that strange? Talk about an ill-fated band. Almost as bad as Bad Finger.

Saw Winwood summer before last. Traffic songs were Low Spark, Pearly Queen, Empty Pages, Light Up (he handled vocals iirc and sounded good) and Dear Mr. Fantasy. He also did 2 Blind Faith tunes (Sea of Joy and Can't Find My Way), 2 Spencer Davis Group songs (I'm a Man and Gimmee Some Lovin') a number of solo songs and Them Changes (Buddy Myles). Damned good show
  • Like 2

I don't even know what to say other than I think this forgotten band deserves their own thread. Traffic was an incredible band that was gone almost as soon as they showed up. In retrospect, it sure seems that way. But they lasted a lot longer than Blind Faith. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=udyNr0pY6ak

I think this was one of the most magnificent songs ever.

Look how young Steve Winwood was. I grew up with him. I was in the 6th grade when Spencer Davis Group came on the scene. He was still a kid himself. I think he was 16.

Edited by Lorraine

I don't even know what to say other than I think this forgotten band deserves their own thread. Traffic was an incredible band that was gone almost as soon as they showed up. In retrospect, it sure seems that way. But they lasted a lot longer than Blind Faith. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=udyNr0pY6ak

I think this was one of the most magnificent songs ever.

Look how young Steve Winwood was. I grew up with him. I was in the 6th grade when Spencer Davis Group came on the scene. He was still a kid himself. I think he was 16.

Just an FYI for you Lorraine, I've seen Winwood several times over the last 15 or so years and he has done Low Spark of High Heeled Boys each time.

I'm supposed to see him in June again with Steely Dan (postponed from last June).

Edited by driventotheedge
  • Like 1