Piano advice

LedRush

My wife would like to buy an acoustic piano for my kids. We can afford up to $15,000 for it, but I would much rather stay in a lower price point (3-7K). We know nothing about pianos but want something acoustic and somewhat good for the kids to play. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Maybe this will help a little. Someone here will know more about new pianos and be able to tell you about them.

I grew up with a piano that was already in the family, though, and I am a person that often buys used; so when we had room for a piano I bought a used upright and had it tuned. We have loved it but I would have traded in and bought new if anyone (of 3 kids) had really taken it up; they picked band instruments instead after they learned to read music. So you might consider a used one (a store should have a reasonable one or these days some people sell them cheap or free online but hard to tell what you are getting,) to start with, to see how it goes.

Are you near central PA and want a free 80 year old upright one? Mostly being serious! I love to play it but I am the only one and we have recently decided to purge many possessions and pursue a simpler existence (will last about 2 weeks I'm sure.)

Edited by blueschica

If you're not married to the idea of it having to be acoustic, I'd recommend the Yamaha YDP-181 digital piano. We got one for our daughter when we enrolled her in piano lessons and have been very happy with it. Its footprint is small and if she decides that she doesn't want to learn to play piano after all, the financial hit won't be bad.

If no one currently plays piano in the house, getting an acoustic seems like overkill. Get a cheap digital keyboard [like JARG suggested] and see if the kids are actually interested and stay interested long enough to justify spending thousands on a very large, bulky instrument. Unless you need a second dining room table, in which case you could throw a table cloth on it when having guests over.

Kids tends to run through many hobbies and interests in their youth. Most parents I know don't buy anything close to the best knowing the odds of their kid sticking with that particular thing are slim.

Edited by stoopid

Maybe this will help a little. Someone here will know more about new pianos and be able to tell you about them.

I grew up with a piano that was already in the family, though, and I am a person that often buys used; so when we had room for a piano I bought a used upright and had it tuned. We have loved it but I would have traded in and bought new if anyone (of 3 kids) had really taken it up; they picked band instruments instead after they learned to read music. So you might consider a used one (a store should have a reasonable one or these days some people sell them cheap or free online but hard to tell what you are getting,) to start with, to see how it goes.

Are you near central PA and want a free 80 year old upright one? Mostly being serious! I love to play it but I am the only one and we have recently decided to purge many possessions and pursue a simpler existence (will last about 2 weeks I'm sure.)

Thanks for the response. We are looking primarily at used pianos...it's crazy how expensive they can get. Unfortunately, I'm supremely ill-equipped to judge how good they are. I have a friend of a friend who will assess potential pianos, but there are so many options that I'm not sure how to proceed.

I'm not near central PA, but I appreciate the offer!

• Like 1

If you're not married to the idea of it having to be acoustic, I'd recommend the Yamaha YDP-181 digital piano. We got one for our daughter when we enrolled her in piano lessons and have been very happy with it. Its footprint is small and if she decides that she doesn't want to learn to play piano after all, the financial hit won't be bad.

I'm not married to the idea, but I'm married to someone who is married to the idea. I wanted to get a Yamaha YDP143R Arius, but the piano teacher, my wife, and my wife's friends are conspiring against me. So, an acoustic it is.

If no one currently plays piano in the house, getting an acoustic seems like overkill. Get a cheap digital keyboard [like JARG suggested] and see if the kids are actually interested and stay interested long enough to justify spending thousands on a very large, bulky instrument. Unless you need a second dining room table, in which case you could throw a table cloth on it when having guests over.

Kids tends to run through many hobbies and interests in their youth. Most parents I know don't buy anything close to the best knowing the odds of their kid sticking with that particular thing are slim.

I agree completely. I've been outvoted by my wife, who seems to count for more than one vote. So, now that I'm in for an acoustic, I wanted to see if anyone here had some specialized knowledge or advice about getting one. Right now my wife is listening to the piano teacher ("your kids have talent...they MUST have an acoustic") and her friend ("get a Steinway! They are better quality and hold their value").

The best thing I can say about it is that our house is big and still pretty empty after 5 years, so I guess I can fill up one of my rooms a little more. Also, my wife is a tiger-mom, so I suspect the kids will be playing the piano whether they want to or not. I'm trying to make sure it's fun, and convinced her to do the same, and so far the kids like it. But if they turn out to not like it, things could get ugly.

So let's hope the piano is at least pretty.

If you keep your eye out, there are people desperate to get rid of pianos and practically giving them away for free all over the place. Especially if they're moving and don't want to spend the money to take it with them.
  • Like 2

If you keep your eye out, there are people desperate to get rid of pianos and practically giving them away for free all over the place. Especially if they're moving and don't want to spend the money to take it with them.

Time to start trolling Craigslist. But you may need to be ready to jump at the opportunity real quick, as these deals are likely tied to a move and they couldn't get rid of the piano in time/putting it to the curb kind of thing. Transporting a piano aint easy, and if you don't have something to move it yourself, cheap.

You should send your wife a link to this thread. We'll talk some sense into her. Don't accept "bad idea" as reality. Grow a pair. ;)

There's a lot of high end keyboards out there that will still cut the cost way down and provide adequate 'feel' for learning technique, etc. Of course the instructor wants you to buy some big expensive thing, the more you invest into the hobby the more likely you'll feel tied to it and sending your goldmine kids to them. Think about how many professional keyboard players play... keyboards. You think Keith Emerson was restrained by his keys? How long ago was Brain Salad Surgery? Now imagine what modern engineering and refinement offer.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

I love to watch the show "How its Made." They had a whole episode dedicated to showing how old pianos are refurbished. It was amazing to me the amount of skill and craftsmanship required to build or rebuild a piano. They contain thousands of parts that all have to be crafted and then tuned together. It is no wonder to me that a good used piano would cost the same as a good used car.

One thing I have regretted my whole life is that I gave up the piano as child. What I wouldn't give to be able to play one now.

• Like 1

I agree completely. I've been outvoted by my wife, who seems to count for more than one vote. So, now that I'm in for an acoustic, I wanted to see if anyone here had some specialized knowledge or advice about getting one. Right now my wife is listening to the piano teacher ("your kids have talent...they MUST have an acoustic") and her friend ("get a Steinway! They are better quality and hold their value").

The best thing I can say about it is that our house is big and still pretty empty after 5 years, so I guess I can fill up one of my rooms a little more. Also, my wife is a tiger-mom, so I suspect the kids will be playing the piano whether they want to or not. I'm trying to make sure it's fun, and convinced her to do the same, and so far the kids like it. But if they turn out to not like it, things could get ugly.

as someone who's owned a baby grand and an upright, I offer a few pro tips for what they're worth:

1. Stay away from the uprights

> sound quality vs. baby grand is no contest here, and there are so many more uprights with problems that it's too risky for a novice buyer - you're almost guaranteed to end up with an untuneable piece of furniture with mice living in it

2. Ask a local piano tuner (or two if you're lucky), not a teacher

> these are the people who know those soundboards best and have knowledge they rarely get to talk about - the three I've known were always willing to talk about anything I asked and were extremely helpful - their recommendations will almost guarantee you a great piano that's as musical and fun to play (a consideration most miss) as it is ti listen to - these guys know their pianos

3. Quality

> There is nothing that a 15K quality new baby grand will get you that a used quality 3K won't - except aesthetics - commit to a little polish and patching and save yourself a ton of dough (remember the piano tuners I mentioned? they'll probably know who has a tight early 40's Emerson for sale)

4. Movers

> invest in a company that mentions this/specializes in moving pianos - don't try to do it yourself

just my 200 cents but I sincerely hope you find a great instrument that you all have fun with :cheers:

Edited by ghostworks
  • Like 4

as someone who's owned a baby grand and an upright, I offer a few pro tips for what they're worth:

1. Stay away from the uprights

> sound quality vs. baby grand is no contest here, and there are so many more uprights with problems that it's too risky for a novice buyer - you're almost guaranteed to end up with an untuneable piece of furniture with mice living in it

2. Ask a local piano tuner (or two if you're lucky), not a teacher

> these are the people who know those soundboards best and have knowledge they rarely get to talk about - the three I've known were always willing to talk about anything I asked and were extremely helpful - their recommendations will almost guarantee you a great piano that's as musical and fun to play (a consideration most miss) as it is ti listen to - these guys know their pianos

3. Quality

> There is nothing that a 15K quality new baby grand will get you that a used quality 3K won't - except aesthetics - commit to a little polish and patching and save yourself a ton of dough (remember the piano tuners I mentioned? they'll probably know who has a tight early 40's Emerson for sale)

4. Movers

> invest in a company that mentions this/specializes in moving pianos - don't try to do it yourself

just my 200 cents but I sincerely hope you find a great instrument that you all have fun with :cheers:

Thank you for the thoughtful advice.

We're paying a piano tuner/repairman $150 bucks to give us advice and to inspect potential pianos.

f***in' kids.

• Like 3

It looks like you're running out of ammo for this battle. Just save it for the day when the piano isn't used anymore and becomes the world's largest paperweight...you can remind people around you of the bad decision. ;)

I took 10 years of lessons as a kid. This was lonnnnng before the days where electronic keyboards were accessible. If you're kids are just starting I would personally stick with an electric keyboard. Then after 2-3 years of progression, move to a decent acoustic if they are serious. Acoustics will allow them to learn touch and feel in their playing. The first couple of years they're just working on mechanics and touch isn't as much of an issue.

It seems like every 3rd house had a piano when I was a kid. Now they aren't common and seem to have fallen out of favor. I just check my local craigslist and there was 57 acoustic pianos for sale...anywhere from free to 'financing available' and some decent options under $1500. You can always start out a little cheaper and replace it if they progress. I like your wife's friend who suggested a Steinway. Would she suggest a new Les Paul to my kid who is just starting out? Geez.

Maybe make a deal with your wife and her friends that you'll pay for it if they move it. No, wait, bad idea.

Edited by HemiBeers

I like your wife's friend who suggested a Steinway. Would she suggest a new Les Paul to my kid who is just starting out? Geez.

I learned to drive stick in a Lamborghini. Nothing less according to my driving instructor would do! :P

• Like 2

The longer this thread goes on, there's fewer and fewer reasons FOR the acoustic piano... to the point I'm actually hard pressed to think of one [for this particular situation].

The longer this thread goes on, there's fewer and fewer reasons FOR the acoustic piano... to the point I'm actually hard pressed to think of one [for this particular situation].

Oh, I dunno, what do they say on those house hunting shows all the time, "happy wife, happy life" ?? ;) ;)

• Like 1

Oh, I dunno, what do they say on those house hunting shows all the time, "happy wife, happy life" ?? ;) ;)

Exactly.

• Like 1

If this sort of thing makes the wife happy, is she actually happy? And how long until the placebo happiness pill [in the shape of a piano] wears off?

Edited by stoopid

She thinks they sound better, train the fingers better, and allow for the development of better technique. I can't say I disagree with any of that and have heard the same from others, I just think it's better to put off the purchase until the kids demonstrate a passion for the instrument. She thinks the piano will help cultivate that passion. Again, I can't say she's wrong.

We divide responsibilities for the children, and she's in charge of this decision. Money isn't a real issue for us, so why press my opinion, especially when I like the idea of a piano as well?

• Like 1

Money isn't a real issue for us...

This kinda irks me. You realize there will be people in this country who won't eat today, right? And you seem content to throw away their entire year's food budget on what is more than likely to become an ornament.

I know you didn't ask for this input and I apologize for sharing my thoughts as I'm sure, at this point, we are at odds philosophically. I'll sleep fine tonight though with pointing this out.

This kinda irks me. You realize there will be people in this country who won't eat today, right? And you seem content to throw away their entire year's food budget on what is more than likely to become an ornament.

I know you didn't ask for this input and I apologize for sharing my thoughts as I'm sure, at this point, we are at odds philosophically. I'll sleep fine tonight though with pointing this out.

Regardless of the fact that there are people in desperate need of resources, dumping your opinion on Led because he wants to spend money on his children's training is really overbearing. Must we all feel guilty for having extra income and spending it as we wish?

There are MUCH bigger fish to fry if you want to pursue your opinion (like someone who's running for president). I'm sure that poverty could be greatly reduced if the mega-rich contribute more. But to dump that on Led is a dick move.

• Like 1

If you feel this way donate your spare money to the cause but don't tell other people what to do with their money. Completely out of line.