2016/17 Football thread

Brucey

Notice Juventus beat Barcelona 3-0. I can't see them capitulating in the second leg like PSG did.

The explosives went off in the wrong city, as far as Barcelona is concerned. ;)

Notice Juventus beat Barcelona 3-0. I can't see them capitulating in the second leg like PSG did.

That's what I hope with even feet fingers crossed! It's not going to be easy at Camp Nou anyway and we have to play the second leg as we played the first one. In the meantime we're back leading Italian League with +8 with only 6 games left and we have qualified for Italian Cup final.

Wildest dreams are surfacing but I perfectly know that we haven't won anything yet ; proud of this tough team anyway.

• Like 1

Wisla 1 Zaglebie 0 :cool: Scoreless first half. Then Cywka with a cross even Grosicki would be proud of, right to the head of Stilic who hits the crossbar and Malecki finishes the job with a powerful strike. Can this team, who after eight matches was in last place say 'Europe?' :madra:

Wisla 1 Zaglebie 0 :cool: Scoreless first half. Then Cywka with a cross even Grosicki would be proud of, right to the head of Stilic who hits the crossbar and Malecki finishes the job with a powerful strike. Can this team, who after eight matches was in last place say 'Europe?' :madra:

Grosicki can cross? :o

Atletico and Real Madrid through to the champions league semi finals after beating Leicester and Bayern Munich respectively

Lewandowski and teammates are very upset with the Hungarian referee. Ronaldo was definitely offside when scoring his second goal. The yellow card for Vidal, which resulted in red was suspect. Also, with the way Casemiro was knocking people down, he could've been booked quite a few times.

Atletico and Real Madrid through to the champions league semi finals after beating Leicester and Bayern Munich respectively

Lewandowski and teammates are very upset with the Hungarian referee. Ronaldo was definitely offside when scoring his second goal. The yellow card for Vidal, which resulted in red was suspect. Also, with the way Casemiro was knocking people down, he could've been booked quite a few times.

I think Ronaldo's third was offside, too, albeit a lot more marginally.

But more importantly...

Hull 2-0 Watford

Crucial victory given that Swansea also won, and it was also impressive, as we were down to ten men for most of it. Grosicki got a sort of half assist for the first, but Markovic hit the bar and then scored with the rebound, so it won't count as one. Marco Silva's remarkable home record continues!

One thing I've noticed about Grosicki is that his end product is much better when he finds himself on the right using his stronger foot. On the left, he can beat his man all day, but he'll waste the opportunity with his left foot, or cut inside and look too desperate to open his account.
  • Like 1

One thing I've noticed about Grosicki is that his end product is much better when he finds himself on the right using his stronger foot. On the left, he can beat his man all day, but he'll waste the opportunity with his left foot, or cut inside and look too desperate to open his account.

He seems just fine on the left flank when playing for Poland. Very dangerous. Of course he moves around during the game, but Blaszczykowski usually takes the right side, therefore Kamil doesn't really have too much of a chance to show his skills at that part of the pitch. Take a look at the highlights of the Romania-Poland (0-3) qualifier. His opening goal is simply brilliant.
  • Like 1

Gornik 3 Wisla 1 :( I was expecting more from this game, but with all the players out because of yellow cards, I can forgive the team for messing it up this time. 5th place, seven games to go. :madra:

He seems just fine on the left flank when playing for Poland. Very dangerous. Of course he moves around during the game, but Blaszczykowski usually takes the right side, therefore Kamil doesn't really have too much of a chance to show his skills at that part of the pitch. Take a look at the highlights of the Romania-Poland (0-3) qualifier. His opening goal is simply brilliant.

It is indeed! I'm seeing glimpses of it, just think when he scores, he'll get a confidence boost and we'll see it consistently. But it is nice to have him and Markovic in the team, some actual pace, can get up the pitch quickly, have an actual counter attacking threat...I'm not used to it! I've been used to watching defence first, slow and side to side eventually hoof it football, Silva has brought in a different dynamic, it's exciting to watch!

• Like 1

It is indeed! I'm seeing glimpses of it, just think when he scores, he'll get a confidence boost and we'll see it consistently. But it is nice to have him and Markovic in the team, some actual pace, can get up the pitch quickly, have an actual counter attacking threat...I'm not used to it! I've been used to watching defence first, slow and side to side eventually hoof it football, Silva has brought in a different dynamic, it's exciting to watch!

No wonder Silva wanted somebody like Grosicki. He's made for the counter-attacking style of play, as is the entire Polish team since the 1970s. Perfect examples are the two World Cup qualifying matches between England and Poland in 1973, when Lubanski did his thing in the first game in Poland, and Domarski scored that huge goal at Wembley. In short, Silva must've realized that opening up against the top teams in the Premier League is futile, so he needed some fast players who can sting the opposition.
  • Like 1

No wonder Silva wanted somebody like Grosicki. He's made for the counter-attacking style of play, as is the entire Polish team since the 1970s. Perfect examples are the two World Cup qualifying matches between England and Poland in 1973, when Lubanski did his thing in the first game in Poland, and Domarski scored that huge goal at Wembley. In short, Silva must've realized that opening up against the top teams in the Premier League is futile, so he needed some fast players who can sting the opposition.

That's exactly it. And against the similar sized "smaller" teams, we can really really rip them to bits.

• Like 1

Here are the standings of the best teams after the first 30 games played in the Polish Ekstraklasa. The top eight will fight it out for the championship, while the leftovers must try to stave off relegation. The numbers indicate points won and, in parenthesis, those awarded after the correction. 1) Jagiellonia 59 (30), 2) Legia 58 (29), 3) Lech 55 (28), 4) Lechia 53 (27), 5) Wisla 44 (22), 6) Pogon 42 (21), 7) Termalica 42 (21), 8) Korona 39 (20). As you can see, this favors Wisla a bit, but have you ever seen anything more crazy than this, Brucey? Thankfully, this system is to be abandoned next season.

Here are the standings of the best teams after the first 30 games played in the Polish Ekstraklasa. The top eight will fight it out for the championship, while the leftovers must try to stave off relegation. The numbers indicate points won and, in parenthesis, those awarded after the correction. 1) Jagiellonia 59 (30), 2) Legia 58 (29), 3) Lech 55 (28), 4) Lechia 53 (27), 5) Wisla 44 (22), 6) Pogon 42 (21), 7) Termalica 42 (21), 8) Korona 39 (20). As you can see, this favors Wisla a bit, but have you ever seen anything more crazy than this, Brucey? Thankfully, this system is to be abandoned next season.

Everyone goes on about how tight the premier league is, then I see that! Until now I was totally ignorant and unaware that the polish league finds itself in a situation like that.

• Like 1

Everyone goes on about how tight the premier league is, then I see that! Until now I was totally ignorant and unaware that the polish league finds itself in a situation like that.

Well, the idea was to keep the competition more competitive, and to avoid any corruption. I think they finally figured out that this is overdoing it a bit. :LOL:
  • Like 1

Chelsea 4-2 Spurs in the FA Cup semi final

Arsenal 2-1 Man City in ET in the other semi.

Should be a hell of a final. The Blues win like they've doing in the League, or the Gunners win and probably save Wenger's job.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1