The Big Four (of Grunge)

The Big 4 of Grunge  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite?

• Alice in Chains
    • Nirvana
    • Pearl Jam
    • Soundgarden

I voted for Nirvana, but truth be told, all four of those bands have been played to death, and I could die a happy man if I never hear one of their songs again.

Want some good grunge? I present Screaming Trees. :haz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwNdLjqaMLs

Nice. Got any Mudhoney in yer bag?

Actually, I don't. :(

:gasp:

^ No doubt.

Not a grunge band

No doubt's a band? Vague memory, but it's an evil memory.

• Like 1

I voted for Nirvana, but truth be told, all four of those bands have been played to death, and I could die a happy man if I never hear one of their songs again.

Nice. Saw them live in '93 or '94 with Soundgarden (who I voted for...) Great band.

Soundgarden started out good and just got better with each album. It was such a bummer when they split. Badmotorfinger bombed the hell out of a lot of metal albums in '91.

Now... about the Melvins... :cool:

• Like 1

I've said before (but always hear crickets and see tumbleweeds rolling down the avenue) that Screaming Trees' Dust is the best album of the 90s. It's even better than that excellent album you have there AND all the AIC, PJ, Soundgarden, and Nirvana releases too!

Nice. Saw them live in '93 or '94 with Soundgarden (who I voted for...) Great band.

Soundgarden started out good and just got better with each album. It was such a bummer when they split. Badmotorfinger bombed the hell out of a lot of metal albums in '91.

Now... about the Melvins... :cool:

I saw them with Soul Asylum and the Spin Doctors. The Trees were easily the best of the three. Soul Asylum was good. Spin Doctors sucked donkey balls. :LOL:
  • Like 2

So I just listened to In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida for the first time ever and I have to say: As far as the actual "song" parts of the song are concerned, it seems to me that that song laid out the exact framework for grunge (mostly Nirvana) decades early. I know grunge already draws a lot of influences from metal and pop (and punk as well), but before metal and punk truly existed here's this song that sounds like a perfect grunge melding of metal sonics with pop structure, and perhaps even some pinky energy in the drums, idk. Does anyone else hear this connection? It just goes beyond simple influence in my ears. It's like this band hopped forward in time to hear the nineties grunge scene, went back to 1968, wrote a great grunge song in the Nirvana style, and threw giant acid rock psychedelic solos all through the middle of it to throw off conspiracy theorists.

?

EDIT: all minus the lyrics, which are standard 60s stuff.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

Pearl Jam did a good job at alienating a lot of their fans after their third album. A good chunk of the albums that came after had songs with too much focus on alt. rock, too much screaming in Eddie´s vocals and not much in terms of melody, execpt a handful of songs. But they´ve sort of changed it around a bit recently.

I agree, but Yield is the exception...a melodic album that works on just about every level.

1. Pearl Jam - they have the best lyrics, great songs, and a generally consistent and growing catalog

2. Alice in Chains - their first two studio albums and Jar of Flies (which I especially enjoy) are great, but some of their early work and almost everything off of the non-Layne albums fall into samey-trudges of heaviness.

3. Soundgarden - the best vocalist and the hardest of the bands listed - the new albums fall into the samey trap that AIC also falls into

4. Nirvana - Nevermind is a pop masterpiece, but the simplicity of the arrangements and the lack a body of work takes them out of the running

This is hard because PJ is the only band to really have a full body of work to look at (with the possible exception of Soundgarden). But PJ's highs are extremely high, and their output has been consistent.