Following Neil's Old Bicycle Routes On Google Map

presto123

I had some time on my hands today, so I have always wanted to look up some of the old bicycle routes that Neil mentions in the Roadshow book. He describes towns that he rode through and sometimes mentions the exact roads and highways. It's kind of fun to cruise along Google street view and see everything Neil saw on those famous 100 mile bicycle adventures.

In Georgia I found the Ocmulgee River where Neil stopped to dunk his head on a 100 degree summer day and on the same highway even found the Church that Neil stopped at(he stopped there on motorcycle too with Michael) to rest on a picnic table under a tree. I also followed some of his routes through West Virginia and Ohio. Also followed a route from Fort Myers to Arcadia, Florida. Neil really loves those little two lane highways it seems. I do a lot of long bicycle rides myself so it was kind of neat.

I imagine Neil really had to do a lot of map studying was back in the mid to late 80's. This was long before Google/Mapquest and all the GPS. Kind of funny that so many of us would have killed to meet Neil back then and there's a good chance he was bicycling back country roads outside the major cities we were seeing him perform in. haha I grew up in Noblesville, IN(home of the famous Deer Creek venue) and I know Neil has mentioned that he had bicycled into that venue before. If only I would have known. Doh!

Anyhoo, just wondering if anybody else has ever googled locations Neil mentions on either his bicycle or motorcycle adventures? By the way.....I do realize that Neil would cringe if he saw this thread and probably assume that I am one of those stalker guys :yes:

Edited by presto123
  • Like 7

I can't remember where I read about Neil doing the Tail of the Dragon motorcycle challenge at Deals Gap, North Carolina? (lots of curves in very few miles!) I think maybe on his blog instead of his book, but I remember I looked that one up because I have been a lot of places in NC, so I was wondering about that one. So I am one that has looked up some of his stuff on Google Maps, too. :)
  • Like 2

Not taking anything away from this, I think it'd be cooler to see what he saw on his bike adventure in Africa (as told in The Masked Rider).

Additionally, I'd love to hear more details (including pics of course) about his travels in China and the Far East...because no way does Tai Shan even scratch the surface of what he saw or what was going on in that big brain of his.

• Like 3

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/t/stalker-picture-concept-48870368.jpg

lmao just kidding. that's pretty cool.

I have done this. I remember following his route on Google maps when I read Ghost Rider. I've also looked up other places he's mentioned in his books, like the restaurant on old Route 66 and his trip through Death Valley. It's fun to follow along and imagine you're riding along with him. One of my favorites parts of reading his books.
  • Like 4

Cool idea. Probably a lot has changed in these areas since then especially in his foreign travels.

For sure. We're talking 30 years ago in some cases.

.....and yet the same picnic tables where still there under the tree by the small Church in Georgia. A bicycle ride Neil did about 30 years ago. That is so awesome. Some things never change.

• Like 1

I had some time on my hands today, so I have always wanted to look up some of the old bicycle routes that Neil mentions in the Roadshow book. He describes towns that he rode through and sometimes mentions the exact roads and highways. It's kind of fun to cruise along Google street view and see everything Neil saw on those famous 100 mile bicycle adventures.

In Georgia I found the Ocmulgee River where Neil stopped to dunk his head on a 100 degree summer day and on the same highway even found the Church that Neil stopped at(he stopped there on motorcycle too with Michael) to rest on a picnic table under a tree. I also followed some of his routes through West Virginia and Ohio. Also followed a route from Fort Myers to Arcadia, Florida. Neil really loves those little two lane highways it seems. I do a lot of long bicycle rides myself so it was kind of neat.

I imagine Neil really had to do a lot of map studying was back in the mid to late 80's. This was long before Google/Mapquest and all the GPS. Kind of funny that so many of us would have killed to meet Neil back then and there's a good chance he was bicycling back country roads outside the major cities we were seeing him perform in. haha I grew up in Noblesville, IN(home of the famous Deer Creek venue) and I know Neil has mentioned that he had bicycled into that venue before. If only I would have known. Doh!

Anyhoo, just wondering if anybody else has ever googled locations Neil mentions on either his bicycle or motorcycle adventures? By the way.....I do realize that Neil would cringe if he saw this thread and probably assume that I am one of those stalker guys :yes:

Should have read " too much time on my hands"

For what's it's worth I researched the route Ray Danniels took to his Toronto bank back in the day.

It's meaningless now with electronic transfers, but I was hoping to stumble into some loose cash along the way.

No such luck

• Like 2

It's fun to follow along and imagine you're riding along with him.

Did he give you the cold shoulder or send Mosbach over to toss you out? ;)

Now there's a friendship that is built on convenience. I've always wondered if Neil pays Michaels way on these trips.

• Like 1

Now there's a friendship that is built on convenience. I've always wondered if Neil pays Michaels way on these trips.

I kind of thought it started as a work thang that developed into a friendship...but still IS work. And since the travel bit is/was part of the tour, then Neil does/did pay since Mosbach is/was fulfilling his job role as security.

• Like 1

I kind of thought it started as a work thang that developed into a friendship...but still IS work. And since the travel bit is/was part of the tour, then Neil does/did pay since Mosbach is/was fulfilling his job role as security.

During tours yeah, I didn't think of that.

Of course he was paid. He's Neil's security and back up in case there was a problem with his bike. I bet management demanded someone ride with him.

Edited by theredtamasrule

Of course he was paid. He's Neil's security and back up in case there was a problem with his bike. I bet management demanded someone ride with him.

Sure but he makes a lot of trips that aren't necessarily tour related as well.