New Radiohead song

Rutlefan

Mostly agree with bluefox, but disagree that Radiohead has sounded the same since Kid A -- Amnesiac and HTTF and In Rainbows all sound fairly distinct to me, and all different from Kid A or anything before that. But, this does sound a whole lot like KOL -- Thom York recording in his basement with some instruments from members of the band which was known as Radiohead added to it to Thom's tastes ... The Thom Yorke Project.

Since In Rainbows though, Radiohead/The Thom Yorke Project does pretty much sound the same to me. That all said, I still like the song, like I like about half of KOL.

• Like 2

Mostly agree with bluefox, but disagree that Radiohead has sounded the same since Kid A -- Amnesiac and HTTF and In Rainbows all sound fairly distinct to me, and all different from Kid A or anything before that. But, this does sound a whole lot like KOL -- Thom York recording in his basement with some instruments from members of the band which was known as Radiohead added to it to Thom's tastes ... The Thom Yorke Project.

Since In Rainbows though, Radiohead/The Thom Yorke Project does pretty much sound the same to me. That all said, I still like the song, like I like about half of KOL.

I don't think anything's changed since Kid A in terms of who has creative control, and Thom / Jonny have always been the masterminds.

Edited by Mr. Not

I don't think anything's changed since Kid A in terms of who has creative control, and Thom / Jonny have always been the masterminds.

No question about creative control over their career, but The Bends and OKC, for example, were band recordings. KOL and this new one sounds like Thom doodling on machines overlaid with a vocal track and occasional guest appearances from the others. Not criticizing necessarily, it is what it is, and I still enjoy most of it, I just clearly preferred them as a real band.

• Like 2

Yea i feel like Radiohead has become Thom's playground more then anything else.

I miss more Band efforts myself.

then again i don't know how the band works.

only saying how it apears to me.

Mick

• Like 3

OK, I can see how the song structure has been the same sort of deal for a long time now.. And I admit I like Spectre more than Burn the Witch.

But the sound is that's new, especially the orchestration and the reverb'd Thom (which has been utilized before, but not in this way). I don't see how Thom singing angelic could ever be seen as a bad thing or tiring. It's his greatest feature as a vocalist.

Oh I love his angelic voice! He sounds perfectly celestial. But he does other things very well too. Take the mad laughing in Climbing Up The Walls, the way he used to spit out his uglier lines like no one else ("kicking and squealing Gucci little piggie" from Paranoid Android comes to mind), or the bombast of the climax in Exit Music, he's got other angles to his voice. I for one might like to hear whatever crazy effect he had on Kid A (title track) just a bit more, seriously disturbing.

I guess not listening to a lot of Radiohead in the last several years has really left a void in my musical world. I absolutely love the new song.

Rutlefan, I think you will recognize the following lyric. I think it applies to my reaction to the new Radiohead:

And all things that function under the constraints of what went before

May not be the only possibilities, there's always a chance

Of something new, of something that hasn't happened

In a long time, in a long time...

^ Wow, talk about deep cut references! I had a pretty good idea who it was but I admit I had to google it to pin it down to an album.

I really like that new Radiohead cut. I'm sure if I heard it in a vacuum, free from any expectations or comparisons, it would thrill me. I'm definitely pleased that they are still making music, in whatever form, I just can't help but wish Radiohead was what they were back when; can't help it. (I'm emotionally invested; along with The Beatles and Wire, they make up my music Holy Trinity; Rush, Zeppelin and The Church make up the second trio of greats.)

An example. This isn't considered a top tier, or even second tier Radiohead cut (basically an EP-quality b-side cut -- almost made Amnesiac), but compare this to the new one. So much more impactful, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRyv6rXMDns

Speaking of celestial lyrics, how about this, for which they never even bothered cutting a (released) studio version. Blows away anything recent, IMO. This version performed in Meeting People is Easy is amazing; around 3:30 on is just the best, Radiohead at their absolute pinnacle. As Johnny Marr said of them, with Radiohead you can't have too many guitars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POmiH-DvJ1U

Edited by Rutlefan

There's another new track out today (Daydreamer" or something). Also their new album is available for download May 8.

I agree 100% that they've gotten comfortable in their current formula. Things are starting to sound 'the same' to me, song to song, and now album to album. Guess we got spoiled with their "we're going to alienate half our fanbase" years.

• Like 4

I'm listening to in Rainbows now. and that was a seamless mix of Electronic based and a more organic band sound.

don't know why they didn't continue that.

in Rainbows was brilliant.

Mick

• Like 3

Heard the other song.....it's ok.

i feel still like the cool luster of this radiohead wore off a while ago.

though in Rainbows broke the monotony they fell right back into it.

I like both songs.......but it stops at just like.

Mick

• Like 1

I, for one, am aboard.

I just watched "Daydreaming" and I loved it. I cannot remember the last time I actually enjoyed watching music videos! It was ethereal and relaxing. Perfectly paced.

The two new songs are what Radiohead has to offer. Personally, I still find it a refreshing alternative to what's out there. U2 would kill for songs and videos like "Burn the Witch" and "Daydreaming".

U2 bores me. Radiohead does not.

I am really looking forward to the new album. Sameness and all...

• Like 4

I, for one, am aboard.

I just watched "Daydreaming" and I loved it. I cannot remember the last time I actually enjoyed watching music videos! It was ethereal and relaxing. Perfectly paced.

The two new songs are what Radiohead has to offer. Personally, I still find it a refreshing alternative to what's out there. U2 would kill for songs and videos like "Burn the Witch" and "Daydreaming".

Paul Thomas Anderson directed the Daydreaming video.

I, for one, am aboard.

If we're comparing just U2 and Radiohead... Radiohead hands down. But U2 are hardly representative of the collective musical world.

• Like 1

Just curious is anyone knows what's wrong with Thom's eye? I've been meaning to ask, figuring some of you seem like diehard RH fans so maybe you know.

Just curious is anyone knows what's wrong with Thom's eye? I've been meaning to ask, figuring some of you seem like diehard RH fans so maybe you know.

Drooping upper eyelid. He got it from a botched surgery, but before the surgery the eye was paralyzed, so it's still a good trade off I'd say.

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

I liked it but have to wonder if everything beyond the piano was simply programmed. In either song, I've no idea how the rest of the group fits in. I suspect they don't, until the tour comes and they get to pay older stuff.

Video was good. Nice to see Smeagol found a warm cave at the end.

Drooping upper eyelid. He got it from a botched surgery, but before the surgery the eye was paralyzed, so it's still a good trade off I'd say.

Thanks!

It's one of those facial deformities that makes it kinda tough to look at him [and not think "Monster!"]. Obviously all of us know there's more to a person than physical appearance, it's just one of those psychological things,. Like why no one can stand Ted Cruz. The face only mom could love, as the saying goes. Hopefully he at least cashed in on a malpractice suit!

I, for one, am aboard.

If we're comparing just U2 and Radiohead... Radiohead hands down. But U2 are hardly representative of the collective musical world.

OK. I'll expand my comparisons in the future. Radiohead vs. The Collective Musical World

• Like 1

I, for one, am aboard.

OK. I'll expand my comparisons in the future. Radiohead vs. The Collective Musical World

I don't think U2 is representative of the music most Radiohead fans would also be listening to.

• Like 1

I, for one, am aboard.

I don't think U2 is representative of the music most Radiohead fans would also be listening to.

OK. I'll keep it in mind for future reference.

I, for one, am aboard.

OK. I'll keep it in mind for future reference.

Or just stop replying until the future arrives (?).