Playing barefoot = PAIN!

Jack Aubrey

OK, last Thursday I was futzing around with my kit, trying different sounds and getting more familiar with the controls. I was barefoot and ended up playing for about two hours. I went to bed feeling fine, but when I awoke, I noticed that my feet didn't feel quite right. I attributed it to the fact that I played barefoot the day before and shrugged it off. As the day progressed, my feet started feeling worse and worse. They were tolerable as long as I kept moving, but if I sat down for any length of time there was definite pain as I started moving again. When I got home and took off my shoes, my feet were beet-red and swollen. My wife is a nurse and she informed me that I had bruised my feet all the way to the bone. I elevated them and stayed off of them for the night and the next morning the swelling had decreased but they still hurt, only not as much. The pain actually subsided as the day wore on and by that evening I felt fine. I didn't play at all Saturday, played some yesterday and a lot today, but I wore my shoes this time. I suppose that my advice is: don't play barefoot! So has anything like this ever happened to anyone else?

Don't listen to these young 'uns Jack, always wear comfortable shoes when playing! old.gif My favorite shoes are an old pair of slippers. They may not look real cool, but they protect my feet while playing!http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Drumnut/rimshot.gif

I used to experience a certain amount of soreness only after a 4 hour gig, or from marching. Having played in bare feet, socks, thongs and all variety of shoes pain only comes from improper or extended playing. Usually the longer gigs wouldn't really effect my feet, but more my calves. Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

Someone wise I know once said "Sandals are a drummer's best friend." biggrin.gif Although when I play, I usually wear either Vans slip-ons or just socks. Sometimes barefoot, it doesn't bother me at all.

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Sep 10 2005, 11:16 PM)
Someone wise I know once said "Sandals are a drummer's best friend." biggrin.gif Although when I play, I usually wear either Vans slip-ons or just socks. Sometimes barefoot, it doesn't bother me at all.

I love playing in sandals. They keep your feet cool and provide a nice cushion.

If you use DW pedals, you will Not be playing barefoot. They have a type of spike strip on the flat part below the hinge. Ouch!!!

QUOTE (vital signz @ Nov 16 2005, 04:58 PM)
Jack....I pretty sure you are suffering from a case of plantar tendonitis....try advil regular basis until it heals and shoes may be a must for you all the best vital signz...m.d.

Thank you, sir. I haven't played barefoot since that last time, but if I have another flare-up I will remember your advice.