The Official ABBA Thread: "Thank You For The Music, For Giving It To Me! Prog Pop Princesses And Professors! Regression To The Dancing Mean!

RUSHHEAD666

A few years ago it was Slash and Axl reuniting and now it's this. It would be pure cold temperatures in hell if wanker Morrissey reunited with The Smiths.

So we're talking cold as the vacuum of space when the Oasis reunion happens then.

Can't decide which one is best after numerous listens :atickhum:

I love them both! At first I was a little disappointed in them, then as I listened more, that subtle ABBA magic came flooding back. I'm actually quite amazed how well both songs fit in with their post-Visitors sound.

Echoes of The Day Before You Came, Head Over Heels, You Owe Me One, Should I Laugh Or Cry...love the mature pop sound.

• Like 1

I love both. It's wonderful to have them back and sounding exactly like I'd hoped. Quintessential Abba, all heart.

Same! I was worried they might cash in on the Mamma Mia musical and just offer straight up pop cheese. Which honestly, is not how I value them at all.

On 11/20/2020 at 12:29 AM, toymaker said:

I find "The Visitors" (the song) incredibly compelling - something about how that song is sung freaks me out - and the chorus is seriously addictive.

On 11/20/2020 at 2:55 AM, Segue Myles said:

Anni-Frid tried to emulate the sound of a sitar during the verses. Sounds really strange but actually, it's crazily well achieved.

It's a very unusual, lyrically disturbing song that hints at cold war fears in the Soviet Union of the time. That song got them in a lot of trouble in Russia.

The way it segues from those stark, almost industrial like verses to the surreally buoyant AND melancholy chorus is a work of genius.

Probably my favourite ABBA song, and the one I always play to those who dismiss ABBA.

I do hate how ABBA have become regarded almost like a lightweight karaoke hit machine. They were a deep, wildly experimental and ambitious pop group, with layered and frequently complex song arrangements, and they make it sound so effortless.

Took the wife and kids to see the "ABBAtar" show in London last week. The gig started with a phenomenal version of The Visitors. I have to admit to being quite cynical about the idea beforehand, but the whole thing has been brilliantly crafted, mindblowing at times in fact.

• Like 2