KJ's NASCAR Pick'em 2016

KenJennings

so, was it an exciting end of the race? I didn't see about the last 20 laps, my DVR went out just as the 24 was passing the 42 for second. I saw the final results but not any of the racing. Was it good racing? Seemed like it would be...

You missed out on one of the better battles for a win in recent memory. Watching 20, 42 and 24 all race for the win was kind of amazing. Pure racing too, like old times.

I kind of figured that. It was compelling racing between the 78 and 42 before the caution and red flag, and afterwards between the 20 and 42.

BTW, you have Mr. Blues with the 21 twice....not exactly how I'D cheat, but... :)

Oh , shoot, I should have noticed. We have a spread sheet on our computer and I didn't even notice when Mr. blues told me he wanted to use Ryan Blaney last week in Kansas. . . .sorry, LABT, Cygnus, and Ken. Mr. blues does most of his stuff on a tablet and so I don't think he even looked on the spread sheet when he picked Ryan Blaney for the second time and I didn't notice. He said let him know what penalty or point adjustment you have to make and he will check more carefully in the future. :facepalm: (oops!)

It's on me. I should've been paying attention.

I will go back and default him to the auto-pick for last week. That means last week he used the 78 instead of the 21, which will result in about a -6 point difference.

Sorry I haven't got this weeks scores up. I'll sit down and sort it out in a bit.

so, was it an exciting end of the race? I didn't see about the last 20 laps, my DVR went out just as the 24 was passing the 42 for second. I saw the final results but not any of the racing. Was it good racing? Seemed like it would be...

You missed out on one of the better battles for a win in recent memory. Watching 20, 42 and 24 all race for the win was kind of amazing. Pure racing too, like old times.

I kind of figured that. It was compelling racing between the 78 and 42 before the caution and red flag, and afterwards between the 20 and 42.

BTW, you have Mr. Blues with the 21 twice....not exactly how I'D cheat, but... :)

Oh , shoot, I should have noticed. We have a spread sheet on our computer and I didn't even notice when Mr. blues told me he wanted to use Ryan Blaney last week in Kansas. . . .sorry, LABT, Cygnus, and Ken. Mr. blues does most of his stuff on a tablet and so I don't think he even looked on the spread sheet when he picked Ryan Blaney for the second time and I didn't notice. He said let him know what penalty or point adjustment you have to make and he will check more carefully in the future. :facepalm: (oops!)

It's on me. I should've been paying attention.

I will go back and default him to the auto-pick for last week. That means last week he used the 78 instead of the 21, which will result in about a -6 point difference.

Sorry I haven't got this weeks scores up. I'll sit down and sort it out in a bit.

OK, thanks! Sorry you had to go back and figure that out! :o

Dunno if anyone heard Darrell Waltrip before the race, but they were talking about Keselowski's suggestion that NASCAR give the regular season points leader a first round bye, and Waltrip says "Brad, remember you're paid to drive the car, not run the sport."

You know what? Shut up Darrell. You self absorbed, big mouthed, hung-on-too-long, out of touch jackass. At this point, I can't tell where Darrell's neck ends and Brian France's ass begins.

I am sick of hearing that sycophant tout the company line and shoot down anyone who cares enough to challenge the lame ass focus-group corporate-think that runs the sport today.

Brad is absolutely right. The current system does nothing to incentivise points racing. Where it might creating exciting (and often needlessly reckless) races for the win, it also creates apathy back in the field.

Dale Earnhardt won seven titles not by always singlemindedly racing for the win, but by racing hard for every position. Earnhardt often had a ragged 30th place car, beat to hell, with no way of winning; but he drove hard and often salvaged an unlikely top ten.

There was an era when the race wasn't over just because you couldn't win. You still had a lot to lose. People talk like points racing is a dirty word. Horse shit. Points racing is an exciting undercard. It is the depth of show that NASCAR needs.

And Waltrip can go suck an egg for not realizing it.

I watch the races on mute with music on in the background. I think the whole broadcast team sucks and are annoying.

I also would rather they went back to the old way of points scoring. Consistency was king. Every time I hear someone say the word "playoffs" I throw up in my mouth a bit.

If Kevin Harvick is staying put at Stewart Haas next year, then Rick Hendrick needs to make a serious play for Kyle Larson to step into the 5.

The kid has matured a lot in the last year, and it's time to see what he can do with a more serious race team. I am seeing more and more potential in him every week, and he's gotta move if he wants to get there.

• Like 1

If Kevin Harvick is staying put at Stewart Haas next year, then Rick Hendrick needs to make a serious play for Kyle Larson to step into the 5.

The kid has matured a lot in the last year, and it's time to see what he can do with a more serious race team. I am seeing more and more potential in him every week, and he's gotta move if he wants to get there.

I'd love to see Hendrick Motorsports, pay more attention to their fourth car. Jr, used to be the fourth driver and he had a lesser machine, and now Kahne has the lesser car. I'd love to see the 5 be as competitive as the 48, 24, and 88.

• Like 1

Week Eleven Results

AAA 400 (Dover)

http://imageshack.com/a/img29/3999/78busch.png laughedatbytime - P1 (33) 345 pts

Used: Martin Truex, Ryan Newman, Chase Elliott, Denny Hamlin, Paul Menard, Austin Dillon, Danica Patrick, Jimmie Johnson (w), Kevin Harvick (w), Matt Kenseth, Carl Edwards, Ryan Blaney.

http://imageshack.com/a/img13/63/42montoya.png blueschica - P2 (40) 332 pts

Used: Kyle Larson, Ryan Newman, Chase Elliott, Kevin Harvick, Matt Kenseth, Denny Hamlin, Kyle Busch (w), Joey Logano, Paul Menard, Kasey Kahne, Carl Edwards, Jimmie Johnson.

http://imageshack.com/a/img560/9561/48johnson.png KenJennings - P3 (17) 281 pts

Used: Jimmie Johnson, Kurt Busch, Kyle Larson, Clint Bowyer, Ryan Newman, Jamie McMurray, Brian Vickers, Austin Dillon, Kevin Harvick (w), Joey Logano, Ricky Stenhouse, Dale Earnhardt Jr.

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/8840/FcWKyy.png Mr. blues - P4 (28) 279 pts

Used Kevin Harvick, Martin Truex, Paul Menard, Kasey Kahne, Denny Hamlin, Ryan Blaney, Martin Truex, Jimmie Johnson (w), Kyle Larson, Aric Almirola, Ricky Stenhouse, Chase Elliott.

http://imageshack.com/a/img844/6356/18busch.png Cygnus 2112 - P5 (11) 234 pts

Used: Kyle Busch, Martin Truex, Dale Earnhardt Jr, Austin Dillon, Kurt Busch, Brad Keselowski, Joey Logano, Denny Hamlin, Kevin Harvick (w), Matt Kenseth, Ryan Newman, Chase Elliott.

http://imageshack.com/a/img844/6356/18busch.png Racer X - n/a (11) 231 pts

Used: Kyle Busch, Martin Truex, Dale Earnhardt Jr, Kevin Harvick, Matt Kenseth, Carl Edwards, Kasey Kahne, Austin Dillon, Kyle Busch, Joey Logano, Kurt Busch, Chase Elliott.

Edited by KenJennings

Which Roush driver this week? I might go Biff but he's a good Pocono guy so if I forget, give me the 17...we'll see if I end up trusting either of the 6 or the 17 to actually run 600 miles.

Anyone watch this xfinity race? Kyle Larson WANTED IT, another tough race with Logano toward the end, but Denny got them... Holy mackerel, it's fun to watch this kid race. If he would've stayed up against the wall entering turn 4, he would've had a shot. Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

Anyone watch this xfinity race? Kyle Larson WANTED IT... Holy mackerel, it's fun to watch this kid race. If he would've stayed up against the wall entering turn 4, he would've had a shot.

Yep, great race! Larson definitely is snakebit...

All racing, all day! Gotta love it, plus Hershey Bears playing to get in the AHL Calder Cup finals. Today's picks-

blueschica- #2 - Brad Keselowski

Mr. blues - #22 - Joey Logano

Indy race was great. It was won on fuel mileage by Rossi, who I believe actually lost the throttle on the last half of the last lap. Everyone else had to obtain a splash of fuel with 2 laps left. Amazing strategy considering the recent history of multiple cautions late in the race. He's a rookie, too.

It's nice to see the cars flying around at Indy, as opposed to putt-putting around in packs, a la NASCAR, with those restrictor plates. No bump drafting, no paint rubbing, no lucky dog, just racing.

Indy race was great. It was won on fuel mileage by Rossi, who I believe actually lost the throttle on the last half of the last lap. Everyone else had to obtain a splash of fuel with 2 laps left. Amazing strategy considering the recent history of multiple cautions late in the race. He's a rookie, too.

It's nice to see the cars flying around at Indy, as opposed to putt-putting around in packs, a la NASCAR, with those restrictor plates. No bump drafting, no paint rubbing, no lucky dog, just racing.

Well, aside from the circuses at Talladega and Daytona, NASCAR has been chock full of good racing this year... So I'm not sure what you feel deprived of on that front.

Edited by KenJennings

Boring race and full of commercials.

At least Truex held on, and JJ didn't have the opportunity to steal it on a late caution.

Trues has had some really bad breaks this year and deserves the win.

• Like 2

Arguably the most dominant performance in NASCAR history. Hats off to the 78 team.

600 miles is grueling... and the way the announcers even burn out and resort to commercial purgatory is telling of an event out-of-time. I'm glad we still have the 600 miler, but I'm also glad it's only once a year.

I was disappointed to see the 100th running of the Indy 500 come down to a fluke, but watching a flawless run in the Coke 600 made up for it.

Solid 1,100 miles today.

• Like 2

Arguably the most dominant performance in NASCAR history. Hats off to the 78 team.

600 miles is grueling... and the way the announcers even burn out and resort to commercial purgatory is telling of an event out-of-time. I'm glad we still have the 600 miler, but I'm also glad it's only once a year.

I was disappointed to see the 100th running of the Indy 500 come down to a fluke, but watching a flawless run in the Coke 600 made up for it.

Solid 1,100 miles today.

I don't think it was a fluke at all. It was about fuel strategy and being willing to roll the dice. Rossi's crew chief decided to go for it and the others were more cautious when they pitted with 4 or 5 laps to go. It was a gamble but it worked for them. Nothing flukey about that.

Solid 1,100 miles today.

I don't think it was a fluke at all. It was about fuel strategy and being willing to roll the dice. Rossi's crew chief decided to go for it and the others were more cautious when they pitted with 4 or 5 laps to go. It was a gamble but it worked for them. Nothing flukey about that.

Sure there is. It was a mid pack car that had little business racing for the win.

...but that's racing. I'm not saying they weren't legit winners. I'm not saying they don't deserve the trophy. I'm saying that it was a fluke. A well earned fluke. If you ran the race 20 more times, I doubt they would win another.

Edited by KenJennings