Geddy's sound on Hold Your Fire

micgtr71

My top three Geddy albums

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

Playing, bass lines, tone, the Full Monty!!!

What a run of sonic and playing brilliance on bass for my taste.

I would agree with this but I'd also put Hemispheres in there.

I'd put it at #1.

I would too. The bass on that album is really awesome.

The tone is quite possibly his best. You just can't beat the growl of the Rick!

I think we can blame the decline in the quality of their music to the fact that Geddy quit playing the Ric. ;)

Actually I hated it when he switched to the Jazz full time even though I understand it now. It was his signature tone and it always sounded the best to my ears.

Eh, I don't really see a decline in their music, minus the dip they took in the synth era (all my opinion of course). The last three albums have been among my favorites, and I really like Counterparts and Test for Echo.

It was a joke, that's why I put the winky. :)

When my son was a toddler his winky was part of his anatomy. Oh the memories.

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

I'd put it at #1.

I think we can blame the decline in the quality of their music to the fact that Geddy quit playing the Ric. ;)

Actually I hated it when he switched to the Jazz full time even though I understand it now. It was his signature tone and it always sounded the best to my ears.

Eh, I don't really see a decline in their music, minus the dip they took in the synth era (all my opinion of course). The last three albums have been among my favorites, and I really like Counterparts and Test for Echo.

You mean it fell off later?

• Like 1

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

I'd put it at #1.

You mean it fell off later?

:o

• Like 1

1. Permanent Waves

2. Moving Pictures

3. Signals

I'd put it at #1.

Yeah sorry. I just love the modern era. :D

I think Geddy got it mostly right with the basses he used on the tunes that he played them on however while I think the Fender Jazz tone started off great I think sometime after Test For Echo he got carried away with his effects rig and lost the natural tone of the instrument, especially in a live situation! It would also have been nice if he had given his Wals a chance to show their real potential by replacing their superlight strings with mediums and cranking up the bottom end, I think a lot of the Wal haters would have had a change of heart!

I think Geddy got it mostly right with the basses he used on the tunes that he played them on however while I think the Fender Jazz tone started off great I think sometime after Test For Echo he got carried away with his effects rig and lost the natural tone of the instrument, especially in a live situation! It would also have been nice if he had given his Wals a chance to show their real potential by replacing their superlight strings with mediums and cranking up the bottom end, I think a lot of the Wal haters would have had a change of heart!

I've played a Wal and even though I thought it was a very well made instrument the natural tone of it was too modern and synthetic sounding to me. Run through a bank of effects like someone like Justin Chancellor does just makes it worse, though his tone fits Tool.

Hemispheres has been my number 1 since I first heard it.

It's always been my #2

Waves has always been my #1 And will always be. Rush's perfect marriage of prog and pop.

• Like 1

Well my Wal sounds awesome as most do, Geddy's tone on his Wals were the natural sound of the instrument, surely the bass with the modern and synthetic tone is Geddy's over processed Fender Jazz which is not a natural sound by any means? Edited by New Digital Man

Geddy's Fender bass sound on Counterparts was outstanding. Unfortunatly after that, it started to get too distorted and overdriven tone-wise. Live too. His tone on Rush in Rio is terrible. Sounds like he's playing through a blown amp cranked to 11

Well my Wal sounds awesome as most do, Geddy's tone on his Wals were the natural sound of the instrument, surely the bass with the modern and synthetic tone is Geddy's over processed Fender Jazz which is not a natural sound by any means?

Yes definitely his Fender tone has become a lot more processed over the years. I was saying that the natural sound of the bass is modern and synthetic sounding to my ears. Farty especially with the pick attack engaged.

I am not so sold on the idea that changing the string gauge would have solved that. I am with one person on another forum who has suggested that people can't pick out the string gauge consistently based on the sound alone.

I sound the same regardless of the string gauge or bass that I use. Active does add something. I read that on the RTB tour Geddy was using the same rig he had been using for years. It must have been the production and not the bass. Trevor Jones made a Wal sound massive.