Geddy's sound on Hold Your Fire

micgtr71

Geddy's sound on his Wal bass gets a lot of flak around here...from me as well. I listened to this album today and while I have always thought this was his most creative effort for bass lines, today was the first time I listened to the sound to consider why I always criticized the sound of his bass.

I don't think it's his fault. The production those days (late 80s) was very bright in the bass department. His sound is different from the Rick, but it's not the fault of the bass. He is playing in a very staccato style. This changed halfway through Presto. This was before he started strumming.

Anyway, I think the bass would have sounded that way had he used a jazz, the Rick, the Steinberger, or whatever. I can get a similar sound on my jazz and my modulus. I just wish I could play and write like him.

Edited by micgtr71

There was a guy who did a bass cover of Time Stand Still on YT with a Walnut Rickenbacker bass. I think that Ric would have been sweet on HYF.

I also think his black Wal sounded better than the red one.

• Like 2

Geddy's sound on his Wal bass gets a lot of flak around here...from me as well. I listened to this album today and while I have always thought this was his most creative effort for bass lines, today was the first time I listened to the sound to consider why I always criticized the sound of his bass.

I don't think it's his fault. The production those days (late 80s) was very bright in the bass department. His sound is different from the Rick, but it's not the fault of the bass. He is playing in a very staccato style. This changed halfway through Presto. This was before he started strumming.

Anyway, I think the bass would have sounded that way had he used a jazz, the Rick, the Steinberger, or whatever. I can get a similar sound on my jazz and my modulus. I just wish I could play and write like him.

I think it's funny that some on here always comment that I am on drugs. Crack? Cocaine" Angel Dust? Booze? Pills? Mushrooms?

I know the album as a whole gets flack from many so-called real Rush fans on here.

As I have stated before I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE "Hold Your Fire." It never gets old. It's fresh and exciting. I love the old mix and the new one.

I love playing my drums to the record.

Are you fuckking serious?

The Wal is Wonderful! It's perfect for that record! I guess you guys think that "Turn The Page" is a pussy keyboard song with now bite. LOVE BITES! BITE ME!

GEDDY FUKKING KICKS ASS ON THAT RECORD!

Jesus, I mean DUH!

You so called Rush fans need to do your homework before you spout off about a lousy record.

Go educate yourself and get the "JACO" film I threaded about last night! Jesus! It's Simple Simon. Of course Geddy is influenced heavily on Jazz!

If you watch the documentary you will hear it right from Geddy's lips!!!

He is heavily influenced by the late great Jaco Pastorius!!! Hence Geddy is a "Jazz" player in a progressive state of mind.

• Like 3

I think it's probably his best bass performance over a whole album.

Pat!! ARE WE BROTHERS?????????

My God. I couldn't have said it better in one sentence.

I "Ramble On" and you just nail it. Less is more.

Signed,

Led Zeppelin

• Like 1

Signed,

Led Zeppelin

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

• Like 1

Mic, I am not trying to be a dick. I just love this album so much. Everyone has the right to their opinion. I respect that. I just love to argue over greatness. RULE

"HYF" RULES!!! I will say that the boys overplayed "Force Ten" over several of their tours. It drove me nuts. Alas "HYF is brilliant like the North Star.

• Like 1

Signed,

Led Zeppelin

Geddy seriously nails it on every song.

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

• Like 1

Signed,

Led Zeppelin

Yeah there's some really imaginative and interesting basslines, and Alex is in full new romantic mode so Geddy has got free reign.

• Like 2

Signed,

Led Zeppelin

Yeah there's some really imaginative and interesting basslines, and Alex is in full new romantic mode so Geddy has got free reign.

Damn you are right on the money again.

You know what is so funny when so called Rush fans rip "Tai Shan." I guess these so called Rush fans don't have ears.

Just Alex's guitar part alone is amazing.

Perhaps I am a snob being a drummer. My brain is wired for music first then the lyrics and singing.

I lock into the bass and guitar.

Fuckk it.

It's me.

I know my shit.

It doesn't matter if humans don't agree with me.

"Hold Your Fire" is a masterpiece.

Yet so called Rush fans love to rave about the greatness of "Masturbator Fails."

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Signed,

Led Zeppelin

You know what is so funny when so called Rush fans rip "Tai Shan." I guess these so called Rush fans don't have ears.

Perhaps I am a snob being a drummer. My brain is wired for music first then the lyrics and singing.

Fuckk it.

It's me.

I know my shit.

Yet so called Rush fans love to rave about the greatness of "Masturbator Fails."

What the hell is "Masturbator Fails"?

But yeah, hyper Geddy here is due to Lifeson floating around the atmosphere and painting the skies. It means Geddy is running and sometimes somersaulting through the prairies and valleys at whatever pace he likes. I'm sure this makes sense to someone. Maybe even me.

Also, this is Rush's last great album IMHO. Angels was good but everything between the two has good and great moments but as a whole they're not albums that I think are great. A few I wouldn't even consider as being good.

• Like 1

Signed,

Led Zeppelin

Fuckk it.

It's me.

I know my shit.

A "creative" take on Vapor Trails, I'm guessing.

• Like 1

Signed,

Led Zeppelin

Fuckk it.

It's me.

I know my shit.

But yeah, hyper Geddy here is due to Lifeson floating around the atmosphere and painting the skies. It means Geddy is running and sometimes somersaulting through the prairies and valleys at whatever pace he likes. I'm sure this makes sense to someone. Maybe even me.

Also, this is Rush's last great album IMHO. Angels was good but everything between the two has good and great moments but as a whole they're not albums that I think are great. A few I wouldn't even consider as being good.

Hahahahaha! Sorry! That's just my sick sense of humor making fun of "VAPOR TRAILS!"

But wait. Enough of my bad puns and jokes.

You think "Hold Your Fire" is their last great record?

I totally get it. That was also the last Mercury Records album so it makes sense.

I am sure many think that Rush music sucks on the Atlantic Label.

I love every album up to "Counterparts."

I am finally appreciating "Test For Echo" more as the years go by because at least that record is melodic. It's the lyrics I hate. I mean "masturbate."

I'm just going for the rhyme.

I mean "GOING FOR THE ONE."

Signed,

YES!!!

LOL

• Like 1

Signed,

Led Zeppelin

Fuckk it.

It's me.

I know my shit.

A "creative" take on Vapor Trails, I'm guessing.

Hahaha! Yep! I think my "creative juices" are running dry!

"Come" intended.

Ok I'll stop.

I'm an idiot.

Wish I didn't major in English......

The Wal sounds farty to me, in the way a fretless can sound farty. Some people like that sound. I'm not one of them. I think his bass lines themselves were well done, especially in Turn The Page, Open Secrets, Prime Mover, Lock and Key and Mission.

The Wal sounds farty to me, in the way a fretless can sound farty. Some people like that sound. I'm not one of them. I think his bass lines themselves were well done, especially in Turn The Page, Open Secrets, Prime Mover, Lock and Key and Mission.

Interesting take. I get it but I still love to fart.

Signed,

Led Zeppelin

Fuckk it.

It's me.

I know my shit.

Hahahahaha! Sorry! That's just my sick sense of humor making fun of "VAPOR TRAILS!"

I totally get it. That was also the last Mercury Records album so it makes sense.

I am finally appreciating "Test For Echo" more as the years go by because at least that record is melodic. It's the lyrics I hate. I mean "masturbate."

Signed,

YES!!!

LOL

Hold Your Fire isn't bad it's just... :zzz:

Vapor Trails is more my jam. ;)

• Like 1

Signed,

Led Zeppelin

Fuckk it.

It's me.

I know my shit.

Signed,

YES!!!

LOL

Hahaha! I get it! Hence the title is like the album noise produced on it. It is very dirty and very sonic and raw. I actually must confess that I loved the record when it came out but over the years it just annoys me.

VT and HYF are totally opposite organic creatures from each other.

I'm going for the synth sound instead of the chaos and non-melodic noodling.

• Like 1

Dug out my old Guitar Player mag from way back which had Ged on the cover.It was in the shed and critters and moisture have ruined it (along with others).However what was salvaged Ged says that the Red was brighter than black Wal due to the colour(a bit Spinal Tap me thinks) and he started using his nails more on his picking hand so there is a more percussive sound.Unfortunately any info on amps or going straight into the desk has been destroyed.I feel that if Ged's sound on Moving Pictures was used on HYF it would sound like an unholy mess on something like Turn the Page.
  • Like 1

Signed,

Led Zeppelin

Fuckk it.

It's me.

I know my shit.

Signed,

YES!!!

LOL

Hahaha! I get it! Hence the title is like the album noise produced on it. It is very dirty and very sonic and raw. I actually must confess that I loved the record when it came out but over the years it just annoys me.

Yeah, totally opposite, but great in their own way. Synth vs chaos. Personally, I prefer the chaos (not one weak moment across the entire album) but HYF is in my top five RUSH albums - great tracks incl Prime Mover, High Water, TSS, Turn The Page,etc... And yes, love Ged's bass sound (suits this era of RUSH, and the era of music in general at the time) and style

• Like 1

Signed,

Led Zeppelin

Fuckk it.

It's me.

I know my shit.

Signed,

YES!!!

LOL

I would agree they are totally opposite!

I listen to Hold Your Fire when I'm trying to sleep.

Vapor Trails is a production mess but it's just grungy and raw and I love it.

• Like 1

Power Windows and Hold Your Fire has Geddy's best bass work, hands down

I would add his run of Hemispheres-Hold Your Fire as Geddy's very best.....f**k the entire band for that matter. LOL. That is Rush at the peak of their majestic prog greatness.

• Like 2