The Official 2016 Chicago Cubs thread...

laughedatbytime

*Love* the fact there is little more than a recent bunch of Cardinal fan bashing in this thread.... throwing all Cardinal fans into the same basket..... how very SOCN of OLV. I get the Cubs haven't won a World Series since before penicillin was invented and that must be frustrating, but really, how is this anything more than jealously of the Cardinals success in the past, oh, 50 years?

Let's not forget the Cubs haven't won anything since 1908, yet. I stress *yet* because I do think the Cubs' time is indeed coming.

For the record, I am Cardinal fan and, I think anyone who frequents this portion of the forum will tell you, a baseball fan first. I am objective and, while I may occasionally poke a little fun at the Cubs' history, it is clearly in jest. If anything, I have been very complimentary of the Cubs coming back to the pack and have actually pointed out it makes me very happy to have a meaningful rivalry again. And, for the record, I actually hope the Cubs get off the snide soon because I think A) it's good for baseball, in general, and B) it will be great for the Cubs-Cardinals rivalry.

But, hey, let's go ahead and assume that the random Cardinal fan dumbass with an internet connection represents *all* Cardinal fans because, you know, that makes sense....

So, tell you what, let's make a deal, if the folks here bashing an entire fan community will go ahead and stop speaking in broad platitudes, I will go ahead and not assume the Cub fans talking trash on this forum do not also represent the entirely of Cub Nation.

Or maybe it's only the occasional Cardinal fan who has the ability to recognize that a bunch of guys calling random others out for being douches and suggesting that represents an entire community are, in fact, being douches themselves?

Nah, I know there are a few reasonable Cub fans out there and in this forum. Maybe they will have the courage to be reasonable and call out the BS?

Now... all that said... I had a new vendor show up at the office today. I let her go through her routine and she was actually pretty good. We chatted a bit and I found out she is from Chicago. We talked a bit about that and it turns out she is a northsider and a Cub fan. Keep in mind my office is full of Rush and Cardinal stuff, so I was impressed she owned that with a strong degree of confidence. We joked about the rivalry and such. She offered me tickets the next time I am in Chicago (I politely turned them down because I do not like to have a conflict of interest with my vendors). The exchange had a level of, what's the word I am looking for? Oh. Yeah. "Class."

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

*Love* the fact there is little more than a recent bunch of Cardinal fan bashing in this thread.... throwing all Cardinal fans into the same basket..... how very SOCN of OLV. I get the Cubs haven't won a World Series since before penicillin was invented and that must be frustrating, but really, how is this anything more than jealously of the Cardinals success in the past, oh, 50 years?

Let's not forget the Cubs haven't won anything since 1908, yet. I stress *yet* because I do think the Cubs' time is indeed coming.

For the record, I am Cardinal fan and, I think anyone who frequents this portion of the forum will tell you, a baseball fan first. I am objective and, while I may occasionally poke a little fun at the Cubs' history, it is clearly in jest. If anything, I have been very complimentary of the Cubs coming back to the pack and have actually pointed out it makes me very happy to have a meaningful rivalry again. And, for the record, I actually hope the Cubs get off the snide soon because I think A) it's good for baseball, in general, and B) it will be great for the Cubs-Cardinals rivalry.

But, hey, let's go ahead and assume that the random Cardinal fan dumbass with an internet connection represents *all* Cardinal fans because, you know, that makes sense....

So, tell you what, let's make a deal, if the folks here bashing an entire fan community will go ahead and stop speaking in broad platitudes, I will go ahead and not assume the Cub fans talking trash on this forum do not also represent the entirely of Cub Nation.

Or maybe it's only the occasional Cardinal fan who has the ability to recognize that a bunch of guys calling random others out for being douches and suggesting that represents an entire community are, in fact, being douches themselves?

Nah, I know there are a few reasonable Cub fans out there and in this forum. Maybe they will have the courage to be reasonable and call out the BS?

Now... all that said... I had a new vendor show up at the office today. I let her go through her routine and she was actually pretty good. We chatted a bit and I found out she is from Chicago. We talked a bit about that and it turns out she is a northsider and a Cub fan. Keep in mind my office is full of Rush and Cardinal stuff, so I was impressed she owned that with a strong degree of confidence. We joked about the rivalry and such. She offered me tickets the next time I am in Chicago (I politely turned them down because I do not like to have a conflict of interest with my vendors). The exchange had a level of, what's the word I am looking for? Oh. Yeah. "Class."

As long as we can still bash Patriot fans. And especially Patriot fans who root for the Cardinals and the Spurs...and feel obligated to use the word butthurt in every post. :)

About a month from pitchers and catchers. Can you imagine how heartbreaking it would be if the Cubs don't win the World Series?

I can't even bear to think about it.

;)

The Cubs are definitely the well deserved favorites. But, yeah, I get what you are saying. A lot can happen and a lot of heartache can continue to happen. A Red Sox fan certainly understands this given what Boston went through before it broke through.

Maybe, we should let the league go ahead and play the season before giving the trophy to Chicago? Sure. Why not.

And, for the record, I think my Cardinals limp into a middle of the pack season. It's time to rebuild in St. Louis. There's some talent on the farm and a brighter future, but the parent clubhouse is aging and that will likely show in 2016. I think the Cardinals will be competitive, but not championship caliber.... but, again, I will go ahead and let the league play the season to see what happens.

As long as we can still bash Patriot fans. And especially Patriot fans who root for the Cardinals and the Spurs...and feel obligated to use the word butthurt in every post. :)

Okay. Given I am a Chief fan who roots for the Cardinals and the Spurs, I am safe because, you know.... Chiefs.

About a month from pitchers and catchers. Can you imagine how heartbreaking it would be if the Cubs don't win the World Series?

;)

The Cubs are definitely the well deserved favorites. But, yeah, I get what you are saying. A lot can happen and a lot of heartache can continue to happen. A Red Sox fan certainly understands this given what Boston went through before it broke through.

Maybe, we should let the league go ahead and play the season before giving the trophy to Chicago? Sure. Why not.

And, for the record, I think my Cardinals limp into a middle of the pack season. It's time to rebuild in St. Louis. There's some talent on the farm and a brighter future, but the parent clubhouse is aging and that will likely show in 2016. I think the Cardinals will be competitive, but not championship caliber.... but, again, I will go ahead and let the league play the season to see what happens.

Giving the trophy to anyone prior to the season is idiocy. At best, a truly dominant team has about a 25-30% chance of winning it all.

;)

As long as the Cards (or the Cubs) don't have to deal with catastrophic injuries, like Wainwright or Yadi going down early on, I'm predicting a two-horse race in the NLC, and a competitive one at that. Bucs lost a quality starting pitcher to retirement and another to FA, so I'm skeptical on them. Red and Bucs will probably continue to suck hard.

;)

Giving the trophy to anyone prior to the season is idiocy. At best, a truly dominant team has about a 25-30% chance of winning it all.

Which makes the Cubs' 107 year steak so amazing.

I'm just concerned that laying down like dogs in the NLCS and getting swept may have some aftershocks. I hope not. I'd love to see their fan base rewarded the way the Red Sox' were in 2004 and 2007 and 2013.

Happy birthday, Ernie :rose:

He would have been 85 today, I believe. :rip:

In other news, I read that the Cubs are in the lead for Dexter Fowler...I would be very surprised, but I can see why he'd want to come back and play for the best fans in baseball.

In other news, I read that the Cubs are in the lead for Dexter Fowler...I would be very surprised, but I can see why he'd want to come back and play for the best fans in baseball.

Why would you be surprised? Because you think he wants to experience winning a World Series?

Either the Cubs or the White Sox.

I enjoyed having Fowler on the team but if we re-sign him (it wouldn't be more than 2 years if we did) Soler or Schwarber would have to go because we already picked up Heyward.

Edited by BowlCity

I enjoyed having Fowler on the team but if we re-sign him (it wouldn't be more than 2 years if we did) Soler or Schwarber would have to go because we already picked up Heyward.

Sounds like the Cards are pushing for the DH. I'll be very pissed if we lose Soler or Schwarber.

Sounds like the Cards are pushing for the DH. I'll be very pissed if we lose Soler or Schwarber.

Fowler came off a great lead-off hitting CF year, even if his defense isn't better than average. But signing him for ~2 years instead of keeping Soler and Schwarber for even longer doesn't make any sense at all. Signing someone just for their clubhouse presence, of which Fowler supposedly had a great one, sounds pretty dumb, too, if that's case. White Sox could definitely use him, though.

Cards want the DH? Dislike of team continues to grow even stronger...

Edited by BowlCity

Fowler came off a great lead-off hitting CF year, even if his defense isn't better than average. But signing him for ~2 years instead of keeping Soler and Schwarber for even longer doesn't make any sense at all. Signing someone just for their clubhouse presence, of which Fowler supposedly had a great one, sounds pretty dumb, too, if that's case. White Sox could definitely use him, though.

Cards want the DH? Dislike of team continues to grow even stronger...

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/st-louis-cardinals-gm-john-mozeliak-momentum-increasing-for-establishing-dh-in-nl-011916

According to this article, they're not necessarily pushing for it, Mozeliak was just responding to a question.

They should be fine as long as none of their players go to jail after being turned on by their owner or decide that stumping for Trump isn't more important than winning.

They should be fine as long as none of their players go to jail after being turned on by their owner or decide that stumping for Trump isn't more important than winning.

What if any of their players don't perform in the post season? I mean, I know that's not likely for this group, but anything's possible, right?

What if any of their players don't perform in the post season? I mean, I know that's not likely for this group, but anything's possible, right?

One thing's for sure, they won't go from last to first this year like your team might. If they went to the Eastern League. Speed isn't important there.

One thing's for sure, they won't go from last to first this year like your team might. If they went to the Eastern League. Speed isn't important there.

True, they won't have to come from last place. That's unusual to do. Interestingly, the Red Sox did do it though, in 2013. They actually went on to win the World Series that year, something they hadn't accomplished since 2007.

Anyways, I just hope that the enormous expectations attached to this season, after that horrific collapse in the NLCS last year, don't get to the players. I'm sure Maddon won't let that happen. He's really smart you know.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/chicago-cubs-jake-arrieta-arbitration-settlement-contract-extension-comments-020516

Cubs, Arrieta working on six year deal.

Think he'll get more than Rick Porcello?

Cubs and Jake avoid arbitration, 1 yr, $10.7 million.

Porcello makes $20 mil this year.

:rfl:

Edited by laughedatbytime

Cubs and Jake avoid arbitration, 1 yr, $10.7 million.

Porcello makes $20 mil this year.

:rfl:

Lets hope Jake plays in 2016 like he did BEFORE the LCS last year. I'm sure he will though. He's just so tough and manly. Hey, do you think he could get Mexico to pay for a wall on the border?