The Official 2016 Chicago Cubs thread...

laughedatbytime

See what happens? You finally win a World Series and you become insufferable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPcyTyilmYY

Great song. Shame what happened to her. She released that album, and it looked like she would go on to have a long successful career. But she didn't.

That happens, you know. Can you imagine running around proclaiming her the next Janis after Jagged Little Pill?

Except the Cubs released Presto last year.

Explain that to me :huh: They came off a 97 win season, despite losing the NLCS it was a great year after 6 years of trash. Presto is just total shit the entire way through after a mediocre album like Hold Your Fire. How does the connection make sense?

A better analogy would be Def Leppard. Euphoria came out in '99 and was through and through an actually decent album after almost a decade of awful music.

Or Clockwork Angels. If it had ten years of great sequels. The upside of the next 8 years is 2112-Moving Pictures level greatness.

See what happens? You finally win a World Series and you become insufferable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPcyTyilmYY

Great song. Shame what happened to her. She released that album, and it looked like she would go on to have a long successful career. But she didn't.

That happens, you know. Can you imagine running around proclaiming her the next Janis after Jagged Little Pill?

Except the Cubs released Presto last year.

Explain that to me :huh: They came off a 97 win season, despite losing the NLCS it was a great year after 6 years of trash. Presto is just total shit the entire way through after a mediocre album like Hold Your Fire. How does the connection make sense?

A better analogy would be Def Leppard. Euphoria came out in '99 and was through and through an actually decent album after almost a decade of awful music.

Because they won virtually every individual award last season, so it's not like they were overmatched overachievers. When the LCS started they were not only a sentimental choice, they were expected to beat the Mets. And they got swept. Presto-style clunker.

Euphoria, sadly, may indeed be more accurate. A good, not great, album. They've released crap since then. I guess we'll see soon enough.

SportsCenter live at Cubs spring training this morning. It might be even worth watching, despite all the NBA coverage...

I'll tune in when they actually start playing games. Unless Schwarber is bombing windshields again I don't really need to watch Arrieta and Lester throwing a football.

You missed Jake's Pilates routine.

First ST game tomorrow, against the Brewers.

http://i.imgur.com/hNYQQO7.jpg

The fight for rotation spots #4 and #5 begins, with Wood starting tomorrow.

I don't see Hendricks not getting at least #5 though he could work as #4 if Hammel doesn't figure things out. Hopefully we'll get pre-All Star Hammel the entire season and not post-All Star Hammel.

Jake, Jon, and John will get #1-3 without a doubt.

• Like 1

I don't see Hendricks not getting at least #5 though he could work as #4 if Hammel doesn't figure things out. Hopefully we'll get pre-All Star Hammel the entire season and not post-All Star Hammel.

Given Maddon's proclivity to think outside the box I could see him dividing the workload on non big 3 days fairly evenly, and having bullpen days all year, being extremely flexible, especially if Hammel and Hendricks struggle. This assumes that the big 3 stay healthy. I think he found the sweet spot for Wood last year, 1-3 innings at a time, and if Hammel can give 5 solid innings most times out, that will be more than enough. Even more than the bullpen, the back end of the rotation gives me the most concern.

Given Maddon's proclivity to think outside the box I could see him dividing the workload on non big 3 days fairly evenly, and having bullpen days all year, being extremely flexible, especially if Hammel and Hendricks struggle. This assumes that the big 3 stay healthy. I think he found the sweet spot for Wood last year, 1-3 innings at a time, and if Hammel can give 5 solid innings most times out, that will be more than enough. Even more than the bullpen, the back end of the rotation gives me the most concern.

Hendricks seemed to improve a bit as the regular season ended last year. I think he'll be serviceable and do 5 and out's, maybe occasionally have a great one. Hammel is a bigger concern IMO. Unlike Hendricks he's not in a position to develop much anymore and he's likely to only get worse.

• Like 1

Got today's game on the radio! Haven't heard Len Kasper in a while.

Looks like it's on at 3 on MLBN.

It's on right now, 2nd inning. MLBN must be putting it in Eastern time.

It's on right now, 2nd inning. MLBN must be putting it in Eastern time.

I'm sure it's on tape.

Not that I am counting, but 25 days until meaningful baseball.... 26 for most clubs....

Yeah, I realize my team is going to very likely be an also ran this year.... Loss of a couple of key players (to the arch rival, no less!)... Molina's health is an issue. Peralta now on the shelf for a few months... Lots and lots of unproven young talent. Sure, the Cardinals could surprise me, but I am not holding my breath. It's going to be a bit of a frustrating summer, I think.... but still a beautiful summer because..... *baseball*.

I've already eyed a number of AA and AAA series in San Antonio, Corpus, and Round Rock, as well as a MLB games over in Houston. If I really feel like punishing myself, I might make a trip or two up to Arlington to deal with Rangerfan and cook myself in that rotisserie oven they call a ballpark up there.

Anyway.... hooray for baseball. Hooray for the NL Central. Hooray for the Cubs/Cardinals game having meaning again.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 2

First Cubs game I'll have been to since 2010.

In enemy territory,

Sounds like the occasion for a Heyward jersey....

First Cubs game I'll have been to since 2010.

In enemy territory,

Sounds like the occasion for a Heyward jersey....

I do need to pick up a jersey. Last one I had was a Derrek Lee jersey from 2007 but that was 2007 and I was 13, so it doesn't fit anymore.

I don't care that it's in StL, I always wanted to go a Cubs-Cards game. I went to a Cubs-Pirates game at Wrigley in '10 but we all know how 2010 went. Andrew Cashner was on the mound :wacko:

I don't care that it's in StL, I always wanted to go a Cubs-Cards game. I went to a Cubs-Pirates game at Wrigley in '10 but we all know how 2010 went. Andrew Cashner was on the mound :wacko:

If I was to buy a jersey, it would probably be Jake or Schwarbs.

If I was to buy a jersey, it would probably be Jake or Schwarbs.

I love a good defensive player so I would probably get a Russell or Heyward jersey.