Obscure Prog Albums

Lucas

Yeah or go to progarchives.com or check out this list. http://rateyourmusic...21__2012_lt_/4/

The term "obscure" is relative though. In prog circles bands such as Triumvirat, Eloy, Banco, Strawbs, Flower Kings, Glass Hammer, Spock's Beard, Nektar, Big Big Train, IQ, Anekdoten, Pendragon, PFM and Echolyn to name but a few are very well known. If you are a big prog fan then they aren't really obscure.

Edited by New_World_Man
  • Like 3

Yeah or go to progarchives.com or check out this list. http://rateyourmusic...21__2012_lt_/4/

The term "obscure" is relative though. In prog circles bands such as Triumvirat, Eloy, Banco, Strawbs, Flower Kings, Glass Hammer, Spock's Beard, Nektar, Big Big Train, IQ, Anekdoten, Pendragon, PFM and Echolyn to name but a few are very well known. If you are a big prog fan then they aren't really obscure.

But had you heard Atlas before ?

;)

• Like 1

But had you heard Atlas before ?

;)

I have heard of them for a long time. I finally did hear their music a few weeks ago or so on an internet progressive rock station. They sounded good. However, they are just one of many(and I do mean many)international prog bands from back in the day. There were tons of bands from Italy, Spain, the rest of Europe, South America, Japan, Canada(pretty much any developed country). I'm not saying this to put down Atlas in any way but I just don't see the point in singling out one obscure band when in fact there were many.

I don't know if it's that obscure or if it's even prog but I love Robert Wyatts work.

I think Peter Hammill is pretty obscure yet he's a top 5 favorite artist for me.

PH and VDGG are legendary in prog circles but pretty unknown otherwise imo. I'm a pretty big fan of both though. I've seen Peter live once and I've seen VDGG twice. I even shook hands and spoke to Peter briefly once which was rather cool.

• Like 1

Kew.Rhone

An album recorded by two former members of Henry Cow and Slapp Happy. Very avant garde and way proggy. If you dig either of these two bands or anything out of Canterbury you may like this.

I didn't even know about a scene in Canterbury - where the heck have I been ??? ... thanks DD ...... here's an interesting clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH9Iar0Qwmw

I was kinda hoping mr. not would recommend steven wilson or dream theater

wat

Mr. Not introduced me to Devil Doll last winter, which is the coolest obscure proggish music I know. Very different from what I normally listen to, and very cool.

ETA: You probably haven't heard of it. :P

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

[i didn't even know about a scene in Canterbury - where the heck have I been ??? ... thanks DD ...... here's an interesting clip]

Well, since you live in New Jersey have you at least heard of the New Jersey Proghouse? ;) Also, there's a radio station that has a prog show in NJ on Saturday nights(not sure what part of the state you live in though).