Geddy on Dan Patrick: "people can change their minds, but..."

Prattster

My thoughts....

Neil never ever got the whole "rock star" thing. Even as a teenager he didn't understand it. On the other side of the coin, Ged and Alex have lived the rock star life and relished the interviews, the public appearances, the meet and greets, and mostly the time on stage and the adoration of the fans. Bottom line is that Neil has a lot less to give up. Making records will be about all he will miss. The transition for Ged and Alex will be much more difficult because I honestly believe they enjoyed every second of what they did. The fact that neither of them moved very far from the Toronto are just shows that they still love to bask in the spotlight.

Is Neil wrong, and do the other guys have any right to be upset with him? It is only natural that there would be some frustration on Ged & Alex's side. Sure there is the tendonitis, but I'll guarantee that is not the reason he is choosing to end it. The guilt of missing the better portion of his first daughters life is a painful cross to bear, and it is a mistake that he will not repeat. I guarantee that being away from his child this time was a lot harder than he thought it was going to be. And besides that, Neil is intelligent and realistic. He knows that his playing isn't what it once was, and he knows that Ged's voice is at times becoming painful to listen to (although I thought he did great for most of this tour), and he probably realizes that those issues will only get worse two years down the road when the band would likely be ready to go again.

I don't think that people here really understand the time involved in preparing ones self for even a two month tour. For a band as musically complex as RUSH, it would probably take two months of almost full time practice just to get your chops back, then a month of rehearsal and two months for the actual tour. A child grows a lot in 6 months and I don't blame Neil one bit for not wanting to invest that time.

As for Geddy and Alex, they will keep busy with side projects and they are too good friends not work together again.

:goodone:

If any one of us were to retire after working the same job for 40 YEARS, NO ONE would raise one criticism or complaint.

But rock stars are held to a different standard, aren't they? A hypocritical, corrupt standard, invented by selfish and self-righteous fans .... :moon: :moon: :moon:

• Like 3

neil quit the band, they can do whatever they want.

That assessment is not at all aligned with how the band has operated for all these decades.

Everything the band has ever done has been built around a consensus model (consensus meaning that each person can live with the decision - which doesn't mean they each have to entirely like the decision). These guys do it "all in or none in". There's a pretty obvious genuine human respect among these three.

The proof is in the hiatus pudding. After the loss of his family, Neil famously told Alex and Geddy "consider me retired". And, frankly, he was retired. Yes, Neil came out of retirement with VT and beyond (and the fans got to enjoy a helluva ride because of it), but during that retirement both Alex and Geddy assumed the band was done. Sure, they held out hope Neil would change his mind, but they were more concerned with Neil as a person. Which is why they each did a solo project and worked on some other stuff during the hiatus, but they clearly never saw moving forward as Rush without Neil. They didn't play together for more than 5 years during that hiatus during a much younger phase in their lives. *5* years. That is the most telling reality.

Fast forward to 2015. Neil is pretty obviously again retired for some parallel reasons to the hiatus. Why would Alex and Geddy's perspective on this change this time around? Why would they say family and personal needs *this time* are different than last time? Why would they go against the entire grain of the history of the band?

Whether or not they fully agree with the implications it has for them, it is pretty obvious Alex and Geddy respect Neil's position and his needs. Dude didn't quit.... he retired. Big difference. And the other two members of the band are not going to go on formally as anything close to Rush without him. Anyone paying attention to their interaction and work the past 40+ years gets that.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 4

neil quit the band, they can do whatever they want.

That assessment is not at all aligned with how the band has operated for all these decades.

Everything the band has ever done has been built around a consensus model (consensus meaning that each person can live with the decision - which doesn't mean they each have to entirely like the decision). These guys do it "all in or none in". There's a pretty obvious genuine human respect among these three.

The proof is in the hiatus pudding. After the loss of his family, Neil famously told Alex and Geddy "consider me retired". And, frankly, he was retired. Yes, Neil came out of retirement with VT and beyond (and the fans got to enjoy a helluva ride because of it), but during that retirement both Alex and Geddy assumed the band was done. Sure, they held out hope Neil would change his mind, but they were more concerned with Neil as a person. Which is why they each did a solo project and worked on some other stuff during the hiatus, but they clearly never saw moving forward as Rush without Neil. They didn't play together for more than 5 years during that hiatus during a much younger phase in their lives. *5* years. That is the most telling reality.

Fast forward to 2015. Neil is pretty obviously again retired for some parallel reasons to the hiatus. Why would Alex and Geddy's perspective on this change this time around? Why would they say family and personal needs *this time* are different than last time? Why would they go against the entire grain of the history of the band?

Whether or not they fully agree with the implications it has for them, it is pretty obvious Alex and Geddy respect Neil's position and his needs. Dude didn't quit.... he retired. Big difference. And the other two members of the band are not going to go on formally as anything close to Rush without him. Anyone paying attention to their interaction and work the past 40+ years gets that.

Very well said.

But what about Alex's hands?

The only one that is in good shape is Geddy, and at his age, no one knows for how long. Anything can happen. He's not immune from getting sick no matter how well he takes care of himself.

Edited by Lorraine

The only one that is in good shape is Geddy, and at his age, no one knows for how long. Anything can happen. He's not immune from getting sick no matter how well he takes care of himself.

Lorraine...... ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Don't bring up Alex' health problems or their collective age.... that gets in the way of blaming and hating on Neil! I mean, why allow facts to get in the way of rhetoric!

;)

• Like 4

Lorraine...... ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Don't bring up Alex' health problems or their collective age.... that gets in the way of blaming and hating on Neil! I mean, why allow facts to get in the way of rhetoric!

;)

alex says he still wants to play, that his hands don't bother him enough to stop him, and he wishes he'd never mentioned it.

• Like 1

LOL. There's no pleasing some people. They won't be happy until one of the boys drops dead, literally forcing them to let go.

Nobody likes to let go of familiar things.

Change is the very heart of our existence. Things come, they go. Things evolve, stagnate, or perish.

It's puzzling why some folks can't appreciate what they've experienced enough to move on, and understand their good fortune for what it was, instead of asking...demanding...expecting more.

Living on a lighted stage takes a toll. Far, far more than the average joe.

I just don't understand you guys who look for blame, or justification.

Why not revel in the fact that Rush jammed for 40 years and played hundreds of shows? And that they pretty much stood together the whole time.

There are far worse bands to cherish,ones who have no concept of fan appreciation nor original member honor. Ask fans of Van Halen. Or the Police. Or Guns n' Roses. Or, heck, virtually every other band on the planet. :)

Rush is done. And it's okay. Life goes on. For them. For you. It was a GREAT run. Legendary. Unmatched. Nothing to mourn. Only memories to herald and a legacy of music that will NEVER be replicated.

Edited by Bard
  • Like 4

..... there's absolutely no good reason that alex, geddy and the world should be deprived of hearing the masters play their own damn music.

1. There is a very good reason for why the band should stop playing their "own damn music". The reason is this: It's what THEY want. That is all the reason they need.

2. No one is being "deprived" of anything. If we want to hear the great music of Rush, then all we have to do is play any of their many great albums.

..... there's absolutely no good reason that alex, geddy and the world should be deprived of hearing the masters play their own damn music.

1. There is a very good reason for why the band should stop playing their "own damn music". The reason is this: It's what THEY want. That is all the reason they need.

2. No one is being "deprived" of anything. If we want to hear the great music of Rush, then all we have to do is play any of their many great albums.

clearly they don't ALL want to.

And Geddy has clearly said that there is no bad guy regarding the end of the band.

It doesn't matter if Geddy wants to play forever. He totally respects Alex's or Neil's right to call it quits.

And Geddy has clearly said that there is no bad guy regarding the end of the band.

It doesn't matter if Geddy wants to play forever. He totally respects Alex's or Neil's right to call it quits.

don't get me wrong, i'm not on the neil is the bad guy side of things. i totally respect neil wanting to retire and i'm not slamming him for it. i just don't understand why people think that geddy and alex shouldn't continue to play rush music live without neil.

don't get me wrong, i'm not on the neil is the bad guy side of things. i totally respect neil wanting to retire and i'm not slamming him for it. i just don't understand why people think that geddy and alex shouldn't continue to play rush music live without neil.

They should, just not as Rush

I'm sorry it's taken me so long, Bard but I'm on your side now. Though I don't see the end as absolute, I do see it for the indefinite future.

There's no 'side' to be taken, man. It is what it is. There's no need for the fan base to wish and shit in both hands.

Retirement is okay. Like someone said, it's better than crashing and burning. Nothing is absolute. But people get old. Careers wind down and end. That's life.

• Like 1

Alex is done too. He won't say it outright because they're allowing for longshot possibilities. But he's perfectly happy being a grandpa.

Geddy will probably cut some new music in the studio with some other cats. Hopefully he'll tour it.

• Like 1

i agree with that, too

but a lot of people are saying that they should not play any rush music except for the debut album and to me that's just stupid and crazy.

I still have hopes that Geddy finds a way to wiggle his way into being the Who's bassist for the continuation of the tour. Now that show, I'd go see.

Me too Tom, and it would be a perfect fit. Surely Ged has a channel to Pete, he should get on that. They could get some extra Rush crossover ticket sales out of it.

i agree with that, too

but a lot of people are saying that they should not play any rush music except for the debut album and to me that's just stupid and crazy.

I suggested only playing debut songs. Not because *I'd* be offended if they played other Rush material, but it just seems like the most realistic way any new A&G band would acknowledge the past. For 40 years, we've never heard someone else besides Neil play his parts and I get the sense that A&G would feel just as weird about that prospect as a majority of the fans would. By only hitting the first album, they could let Neil's era rest while still tossing out a few Rush nuggets that he wasn't involved in. Compromise for everyone.

It's likely a moot point anyway. There's been no indication from Alex or Geddy that they're even interested in touring without Neil, only speculation by us.