is duke by genesis a 70s album

bathory

duke   

17 members have voted

1. 1. is duke by genesis a 70s album

I wouldn't disagree with the notion that in general anything after 1977 was an 80's album, in a sense, because the sound changed. For example, the Cars debut album has more in common with eighties music than it does with most 70's music imo. The same thing could be said about the Talking Heads and lot of other new wave bands. I don't expect everyone to understand where I am coming from with this though.
  • Like 1

I wouldn't disagree with the notion that in general anything after 1977 was an 80's album, in a sense, because the sound changed. For example, the Cars debut album has more in common with eighties music than it does with most 70's music imo. The same thing could be said about the Talking Heads and lot of other new wave bands. I don't expect everyone to understand where I am coming from with this though.

It still felt like the 70's in 1980 because we didn't want to let that decade go.

Since there was no year "0" and there are 10 years in a decade I guess that makes it a 1970s album.

and sabbath's paranoid is a 60s album?

If you go by the "a decade is 10 years" definition.

For comparisons, 2001: A Space Odyssey is called what it is because 2001 is technically the first year of the 21st century.

Since there was no year "0" and there are 10 years in a decade I guess that makes it a 1970s album.

For comparisons, 2001: A Space Odyssey is called what it is because 2001 is technically the first year of the 21st century.

Agreed. 1971-1980 would be one decade. 1981-1990 another.

It still felt like the 70's in 1980 because we didn't want to let that decade go.

The first couple of years in any decade look more like the decade that just left because change doesn't happen overnight. You know, those big hairdos were not early 80's but more a mid-decade thing. ;)

• Like 1

This is a hard one to call but I'll go with '70s and call Abacab their first '80s album. My two favorites of theirs; great way to close one decade and then open another.
  • Like 1

As would February 26, 1987 to February 25, 1997.

• Like 1

Sure, but the point is that one is the 70's and one is the 80's.

No, one is the 8th decade of the 20th century and the other is the 9th. It's silly to say 1980 is part of the seventies.

No, one is the 8th decade of the 20th century and the other is the 9th. It's silly to say 1980 is part of the seventies.

Oh hush. ;)

• Like 1

it is a top Genesis album to be sure. I really don't give a rats arse what people think. I don't even care if anyone thinks its is a 70's or 80's album. why should I? My opinion is the only one that matters.

Duke is an 80's Genesis album and its very very good.

I agree with you but damn man! Time to eat some baked Cheetos and smoke a bowl!