Geddy's voice sounds like fingernails over a chalkboard

Dread Pirate Robert

Look at the lead singer in Yes. He sounds like a girl. If you want an odd voice, he had it.

I loved it but Bon Scott had a strange and different voice too. The band went downhill when he died in my view. The uniqueness was gone...

Yes, I loved his voice too, but I brought him up as another example to show that singing in a high pitch wasn't unique back then.

Singing in a high register was pretty typical back then, but no one sang quite as high as Geddy; more importantly, no one wailed like he did with that incredibly unique vibrato

Exactly. And I think it was that wail that put a lot of people off, but hey, their loss. :)

• Like 1

Look at the lead singer in Yes. He sounds like a girl. If you want an odd voice, he had it.

I loved it but Bon Scott had a strange and different voice too. The band went downhill when he died in my view. The uniqueness was gone...

Yes, I loved his voice too, but I brought him up as another example to show that singing in a high pitch wasn't unique back then.

Singing in a high register was pretty typical back then, but no one sang quite as high as Geddy; more importantly, no one wailed like he did with that incredibly unique vibrato

Since I am a such a music illiterate, I wouldn't know that Geddy was actually singing higher than anyone else that sang high. All I would hear is a man singing high. :)

And didn't Geddy once say that he sang like that because he thought he had to since it was the "style" of the day? Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought I read somewhere in an interview or a book him saying something like that.

I think the biggest difference between Jon Anderson and Geddy was that Geddy pushed his voice. Jon for the most part sang pretty straight.

How about The Budgies? Weren't they around back then? I still think the lead singer sounds like Janis Joplin.

I've said that a few times about blues-era Geddy. He gets close on Here Again.

• Like 1

The first time I heard a song by the Budgies, I had to ask if they had a male or female lead singer.

When you say the Budgies, do you mean Budgie?

The first time I heard a song by the Budgies, I had to ask if they had a male or female lead singer.

I have no idea.

Thanks for introducing me to this band. I thought Geddy had an unusual voice...

I have no idea.

You do now. ;)

I have no idea.

You do now. ;)

No I don't. I have no idea what you are talking about.

I have no idea.

You do now. ;)

No I don't. I have no idea what you are talking about.

OK.

Edited by JARG

I really don't see anything high about his voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M

Also, How do i put in a video? I can only link it.

Just take the "s" out after the http.

The banshee wail of older RUSH material makes it unlistenable. That's why I've always said that real RUSH doesn't begin till Presto.

His voice was the best from Power Windows - Presto or RTB I'd say.

It was good on CP too.

What can you do, the guy's 60 million years old. :(

Geddy had very good control of his voice from Power Windows to Counterparts.

Old unrestrained banshee Ged did have a certain magic about it IMO

As far as Geddy having great control over his voice, I'd extend that back to P/G. That tour was probably his peak in terms of voice control

Musically, CTTH is so pretty that I've often made the mistake of presenting that as 'the song' for people to listen to who knew nothing of Rush whom I wanted to like Rush. Especially women. I always naively assumed they'd like it and thereafter be willing to give some of their more unconventional songs a chance.

I was surprised by how many didn't like it (I think of it as one of Rush's best and most accessible songs from that period).

Among those who didn't appreciate it, the typical response was "the music is great, but the voice kills it".

This was a mellow song in a period of Rush's evolution in which Geddy still had his 'metal' voice, and the combo just doesn't work for some.

I always loved it.

Go figure...

Edited by rftag