Digital Dad

220px-Beatlesstoryalbumcover.jpg

I'm listening to this spoken word album entitled, "The Beatles' Story".

I couldn't have been 11 years old when I asked my Grandmother for it for my birthday.

My uncle said, "it doesn't have any songs on it".

I didn't care, I wanted it anyway.

I listened to that silly little record over and over and over. (Learning as much as I could about George, John, Paul and Ringo).

I'd be willing to wager that I haven't heard this in 35 years.

What a great little trip down memory lane. (Even if it was a cash grab all those years ago).

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 2

I couldn't have been 11 years old when I asked my Grandmother for it for my birthday.

I listened to that silly little record over and over and over. (Learning as much as I could about George, John, Paul and Ringo).

What a great little trip down memory lane. (Even if it was a cash grab all those years ago).

I remember being REALLY disappointed when I first listened to this!

My source for Beatles information was the book The Beatles Forever by Nicholas Schaffner. It had everything I wanted to know about the Beatles. It was filled with great photos and had album charts and both the U.S. and British discographies listed. A wonderful book written by a fan. Nicholas Schaffner also wrote a really good book about Pink Floyd.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

My source for Beatles information was the book The Beatles Forever by Nicholas Schaffner. It had everything I wanted to know about the Beatles. It was filled with great photos and had album charts and both the U.S. and British discographies listed. A wonderful book written by a fan. Nicholas Schaffner also wrote a really good book about Pink Floyd.

Have you read "The Love You Make" by Peter Brown and Steven Gaines? I found a copy at a thrift store but haven't read it yet.

• Like 1

Have you read "The Love You Make" by Peter Brown and Steven Gaines? I found a copy at a thrift store but haven't read it yet.

I pretty much read them all. But it was years and years ago! I remember liking The Love You Make more than Shout! by Philip Norman.

If you haven't already you must read Revolution in the Head by Ian MacDonald. I think it might be the best book on the Beatles ever.

• Like 1

I pretty much read them all. But it was years and years ago! I remember liking The Love You Make more than Shout! by Philip Norman.

If you haven't already you must read Revolution in the Head by Ian MacDonald. I think it might be the best book on the Beatles ever.

Thanks, I'll look for that one...thanks for the tip. (I have "Shout" and "The Beatles Forever"...both I haven't read in years).

220px-At_the_hollywood_bowl.JPG

I purchased this album with my paper route money back in 1977.

I was a lad of just 14 and was knee deep in the KISS hysteria.

This album repositioned The Beatles to their rightful place in my life.

Just as ReRushed said, they were unable to hear themselves play due to the screaming.

Another great memory from my childhood.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 1

220px-At_the_hollywood_bowl.JPG

I purchased this album with my paper route money back in 1977.

I was a lad of just 14 and was knee deep in the KISS hysteria.

This album repositioned The Beatles to their rightful place in my life.

Just as ReRushed said, they were unable to hear themselves play due to the screaming.

Another great memory from my childhood.

I remember this album being in the library of the radio station I worked in, when I was the music director there. (Haha...my high school's radio station. I was 17). I'm sure it was an original pressing, due to how worn it was, as this was maybe a dozen years after it was released.

I can attest to the crowd noise as well!

• Like 1

I hated Revolution In The Head. Way too much personal opinion for me, I had to exercise a lot of patience with each song profile.

I hated Revolution In The Head. Way too much personal opinion for me, I had to exercise a lot of patience with each song profile.

I appreciated MacDonald's opinion. Instead of echoing critical and popular consensus MacDonald critiiqued the songs subjectively with his insight. I agreed with some of his criticisms and I disagreed with some of his criticisms. All in all, while reading the book I went back and re-listend to songs with a new perspective. In away, I rediscovered the Beatles' music because of Revolution in the Head. I refer back to it from time to time when I feel too complacent listening to the Beatles. Also, the book is filled with tidbits about the Beatles and their contemporaries. Is it 100% accurate? Probably not. But I find it intelligent, refreshing and challenging. After a very long time in my "Beatles comfort zone" this book shook things up and I actually learned new things about my favorite band of all-time.

• Like 2

I appreciated MacDonald's opinion. Instead of echoing critical and popular consensus MacDonald critiiqued the songs subjectively with his insight. I agreed with some of his criticisms and I disagreed with some of his criticisms. All in all, while reading the book I went back and re-listend to songs with a new perspective. In away, I rediscovered the Beatles' music because of Revolution in the Head. I refer back to it from time to time when I feel too complacent listening to the Beatles. Also, the book is filled with tidbits about the Beatles and their contemporaries. Is it 100% accurate? Probably not. But I find it intelligent, refreshing and challenging. After a very long time in my "Beatles comfort zone" this book shook things up and I actually learned new things about my favorite band of all-time.

I read it from a newbie angle. Maybe it wasn't the best place to start!

Mine too. I love that book. I read my paperback until it literally fell apart.

• Like 2

Started the three Anthology discs today.

It start literally with recordings of Paul and John on a tape recorder.

Early Tony Sheridan recordings, etc.

Just an amazing and interesting chronicle of their beginnings.

Up to an early pre-Beatle take of "Love Me Do".

Interspersed with comments from the four and Brian Epstein.

Just fascinating listening.

• Like 1

Bon Jovi- Greatest Hits: The Ultimate Collection (South American Version)

Great collection of one of the greatest bands ever.

I don't care what Earl or anyone thinks. Terrific, timeless pop rock.

Crappy music. Wrong thread! :codger:

• Like 1

I was wondering where I had posted this!

Oops sorry guys that was dumb.

And quite frankly sometimes I think your taste sucks as well.

Makes us even.

Makes us even.

Oh...snap. Ha. I hate Bon Jovi but I apreciate your reverence for them.

• Like 1

Makes us even.

My taste sucks as well? How could that be? I have impeccable musical taste.

• Like 1

I didn't realize that among the six "first take" songs, "Boys" (sung by Ringo) was Ringo's first time singing in the studio. Captured on the first take...pretty impressive. The "first take" songs are...Twist and Shout – Recorded February 11, 1963; Kansas City – Recorded October 18, 1964; Boys – Recorded February 11, 1963; Long Tall Sally – Recorded March 1, 1964; Rock And Roll Music – Recorded October 18, 1964 and Chains – Recorded February 11, 1963
  • Like 1

Makes us even.

My taste sucks as well? How could that be? I have impeccable musical taste.

Dude, you are funky fresh.

L

• Like 1

Into the deep cuts of my Beatles marathon and just am blown away even by their demos, covers and pre Beatle music. They played live constantly in those early days and I read that when they hit the studio to cut those early tracks they could play them perfectly without thinking about it...blindfolded while having a cup of tea. Just amazing...having a great time with this marathon.
  • Like 1