Emerson, Lake & Palmer

ReRushed

I'm listening to their debut album now. I appreciate their sound more today than I did back then. I was 16 or 17 when this album came out.

I can hear the jazz influence in Keith's piano playing in Take A Pebble. That song is incredible.

Personally, I think they wasted their sound and talent on a generation, most of whom would not appreciate it.

Edit: Quite an experience listening to that album again! :)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I love how Keith's synthesizer rattles my speakers at the end of Lucky Man.

Did you listen to those interviews with Keith and Greg? Greg wrote Lucky Man when he was 12. They needed one more song for their debut album, and that's the only thing anyone had, was Greg's Lucky Man. Keith asked to hear it and told Greg no way, but Greg said he went into the studio and rearranged the song, playing every instrument on it himself, except for the moog.

• Like 1

I'm listening to their debut album now. I appreciate their sound more today than I did back then. I was 16 or 17 when this album came out.

I can hear the jazz influence in Keith's piano playing in Take A Pebble. That song is incredible.

Personally, I think they wasted their sound and talent on a generation, most of whom would not appreciate it.

My group of friends in high school were into ELP and we appreciated what they were doing back then. For me my interest in ELP ended with Brain Salad Surgery.

My group of friends in high school were into ELP and we appreciated what they were doing back then. For me my interest in ELP ended with Brain Salad Surgery.

You and me both.

But I appreciate their sound and talent more today than I did back then. Only now do I realize what a launching out into the deep they took with their sound.

Edited by Lorraine

The bands debut is one of my top five prog albums. Perfect, beautiful and the only ELP album I enjoy without having to TRY.

The bands debut is one of my top five prog albums. Perfect, beautiful and the only ELP album I enjoy without having to TRY.

You have to try and enjoy Brain Salad Surgery?

• Like 1

Love Beach---------a real stinker

Except for the album cover, I quite like most of it. Slow beginning but I enjoy The Gambler, For You and especially Canario and Memoirs Of And Officer and A Gentleman suite.

• Like 1

Except for the album cover, I quite like most of it. Slow beginning but I enjoy The Gambler, For You and especially Canario and Memoirs Of And Officer and A Gentleman suite.

I like most of it too. I'll go with All I Want Is You and For You as my favorites.

• Like 2

I own it and I think it's good but it doesn't move me.

I own it and I think it's good but it doesn't move me.

Wow

I like most of it too. I'll go with All I Want Is You and For You as my favorites.

I'd have loved to heard the stuff live. Too bad it never happened.

• Like 1

Been listening to the remasters of the first three ELP albums on Spotify.They sound amazing the first album especially.I am hearing things I hadn't heard before.If Emo's technique wasn't mind boggling before!Here every nuance especially of his piano work is laid bare.The piano on The Barbarian,Take a Pebble and the Three Fates is crystal clear.I have listened to Tarkus (the song)and just blown away.The two bonus ballads are quite good with some nice lead guitar from Lake.Haven't listened all of Pictures but its a definite improvement.I was devasted when Keith took his own life.I wonder if he heard these remasters.
  • Like 1

The debut ELP album is still my favourite.

Nothing else interests me beyond that...

I love how Keith's synthesizer rattles my speakers at the end of Lucky Man.

Did you listen to those interviews with Keith and Greg? Greg wrote Lucky Man when he was 12. They needed one more song for their debut album, and that's the only thing anyone had, was Greg's Lucky Man. Keith asked to hear it and told Greg no way, but Greg said he went into the studio and rearranged the song, playing every instrument on it himself, except for the moog.

Apparently Keith and Greg were going along in a car when Lucky Man came on the radio.Keith said what's this?He wasn't to pleased that it had been picked up by radio as it wasn't representative of the band.Just a pop song with a 'nothing special(Keith's words)' synth solo tacked on the end.
  • Like 1

Brain Salad Surgery is an over blown,ostentatious masterpiece.You do have to be in a certain mood to listen to it.However I am eagerly awaiting its re master.Also Yes are releasing a re master of Tales of Treacherous Seas (groan).I'll try it and see for the first time in decades if I can get through all of it.Doubt it.

Tales From Topographic Bae-shans is my favourite seventies prog album of them all!
  • Like 1

Tales From Topographic Bae-shans is my favourite seventies prog album of them all!

You are brave man.My hat goes off to you.I love nearly all Yes,but Tales and Tomato the Terrible are Turkeys.

You are brave man.My hat goes off to you.I love nearly all Yes,but Tales and Tomato the Terrible are Turkeys.

I adore that as well!

I adore that as well!

Well hats off again to you.After the brilliant Going For The One, Tormato was a huge let down.Same goes for ELP's Love Beach,Tulls 'A',Zeps Outdoor,Sabs Never Say Die.I don't hate these albums just below par.Then again I was late teens and punk/new wave was happening as was NWOBHM.And . :rush: :Neil: :Alex: :geddy:

I adore that as well!

Well hats off again to you.After the brilliant Going For The One, Tormato was a huge let down.Same goes for ELP's Love Beach,Tulls 'A',Zeps Outdoor,Sabs Never Say Die.I don't hate these albums just below par.Then again I was late teens and punk/new wave was happening as was NWOBHM.And . :rush: :Neil: :Alex: :geddy:

Tormato is a lot weaker than the rest of the albums that came before it. I would say I really enjoy it but GFTO and Drama are both better.

I can understand the dislike for Topograhpic Oceans, buy I never got the dislike for Tormato. What an awesome album.

I enjoy both 'terrible turkeys' a lot, everything from the debut through 90125 is fantastic. Add in "Magnification" and you have all the essential Yes.