Want your recommendations

Snowdog

OK, fellow Rush fans, I finally broke down and bought an iPod. I've downloaded a few songs and naturally uploaded a big chunk of the Rush catalog to the iPod.

My question is, I'm wanting to branch out and try some new stuff. I'd like to hear some recommendations from my fellow Rush fans. The bands need not be "Rush-like." My tastes are wide ranging from Metal, Prog Rock, Classic Rock, Plain old Rock, Jazz, etc. What "newer" bands (say, been around for 5 years or less) would you recommend? The only thing I can say I won't listen to is Rap, Hip Hop, Country or Speed/Death Metal (or whatever else you call the guy literally screaming and growling into the mic, sorry, I just don't like it, no offense to those of you that do).

OK, guys, let's hear your suggestions! My iPod is waiting biggrin.gif

Definitely the Arcade Fire.

Porcupine Tree are around 15 years old but chances are you haven't heard them yet, and if you haven't, try "In Absentia" -- if you like "metal and prog rock" then you're in for a nice seventy minutes.

Have you heard the Mars Volta?

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Aug 15 2005, 07:23 AM)
OK, fellow Rush fans, I finally broke down and bought an iPod. I've downloaded a few songs and naturally uploaded a big chunk of the Rush catalog to the iPod.

My question is, I'm wanting to branch out and try some new stuff. I'd like to hear some recommendations from my fellow Rush fans. The bands need not be "Rush-like." My tastes are wide ranging from Metal, Prog Rock, Classic Rock, Plain old Rock, Jazz, etc. What "newer" bands (say, been around for 5 years or less) would you recommend? The only thing I can say I won't listen to is Rap, Hip Hop, Country or Speed/Death Metal (or whatever else you call the guy literally screaming and growling into the mic, sorry, I just don't like it, no offense to those of you that do).

OK, guys, let's hear your suggestions! My iPod is waiting  biggrin.gif

Snow, first off -- HUGE congrats on the purchase. I'm completely addicted to my MP3 player.

Like you... I listen to (and own) stuff from just about every style of music out there - from Sinatra, to Stone Temple Pilots. However, I'm feeling more in a bluesy and straight forward rock mood right now - and I'd recommend the following (staying away from super obvious stuff, like, "hey dude, get Boston" sarcasm.gif)

Arc Angels - from the Arc Angels CD

- Sent By Angels

- Carry Me On

- Sweet Nadine

- See What Tomorrow Brings

Brother Cane - from the Brother Cane CD

- Got No Shame

- Hard Act To Follow

- Woman

- The Last Time

- That Don't Satisfy Me

- Stones Throw Away

Brother Cane - from the Seeds CD

- And Fools Shine On

- Rise On Water

- 20/20 Faith (if you get any BC songs - THIS IS THE ONE)

- Voice of Eujena

Brother Cane - from the Mirror Ball CD

- Where Was I To Know

- Mirror Ball

- I Lie In The Bed I Make

- I Surrender

Candlebox - from the Candlebox CD

- Change

- You

- No Sense

- Rain (BEST SONG EVER)

- Cover Me

Candlebox - from the Happy Pills CD

- Ten Thousand Horses

- Blinders

- It's Alright

- A Stone's Throw Away

Coverdale/Page

- Waiting On You

- Pride And Joy

- Over Now

- Easy Does It

- Don't Leave Me This Way

Def Leppard - from the Euphoria CD

- Promises

- Paper Sun

- Kings Of Oblivion

^^ again - staying away from the OBVIOUS DL stuff ^^

Dishwalla - I have no idea what the CD is

- Somewhere In The Middle

The Fixx - from Reach The Beach

- Changing

Peter Frampton - from Peter Frampton (TRUST ME ON THIS)

- Day In The Sun

- You Can Be Sure

- You

- Shelter Through The Night

RTZ - from Return To Zero (with Brad Delp from Boston)

- There's Another Side

Kenny Wayne Shepherd - from Trouble Is..

- Slow Ride

- True Lies

- Blue On Black

- Everything Is Broken

- (Long) Gone

Tonic - from Lemon Parade

- Open Up Your Eyes

- Casual Affair

- If You Could Only See

Tonic - from Sugar

- You Wanted More

- Sugar

- Stronger Than Mine

- Top Falls Down

Hope this helps, for now.

Dave Matthews Band - 'Remember Two Things' & 'Everyday'

Living Colour - 'Vivid'

Jamiroquai - 'Synkronized'

Eric Johnson - 'Venus Isle'

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Aug 15 2005, 04:42 PM)
Dave Matthews Band - 'Remember Two Things' & 'Everyday'
Living Colour - 'Vivid'
Jamiroquai - 'Synkronized'
Eric Johnson - 'Venus Isle'

Good suggestions Launch! Venus Isle is a favorite of mine. Eric Johnson is frickin' amazing. Had the pleasure of seeing him in concert. What a guitarist! I've seen a lot of guitarists in my day, but Johnson is right at the top of the list along with Steve Morse. It's impossible to definitively say who's the best, but those two guys never cease to amaze me.

Dandy Warhols-Anything by them wub.gif

Yeah Yeah Yeahs-anything off of A Fever to Tell

Janes Addiction-Kettle Whistle (the song)

Janes Addiction-Three Days

Janes Addiction-Summertime Rolls

Disco Inferno-anything off the album In Debt (If you like U2-it's a similar sound)

Well i seem to like Stuff you do, so i'll put down whats mostly on mine!

The rest fo the Rush catalogue!!!!! tongue.gif

Mike Oldfield - Discovery

King Crimson - In the court of the crimson king

Yes - Close to the Edge

Yes - Fragile

Genesis - Foxtrot

Love - Forever Changes

Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation - Mighty Rearranger

Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters(new band, very disco rock, but good!)

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

All i can think of for now!

I don't know I could have forgotten these:

You need the Bud Light Presents - Real American Heroes/Real Men of Genius commercials.

They make excellent random appearances between your songs when in shuffle mode on your player. I have loads of em, and they're a riot.

"Kamelot"

-Center of the Universe

-Memento Mori

-March of Mephisto

-Wander

-Abandoned

-Don't You Cry

-Forever

-The Fourth Legacy

-The Haunting (Somewhere in Time)

-Soul Society

-III Ways to Epica

"Nightwish"

-Dark Chest of Wonders

-Wish I Had an Angel

-Bless the Child

-End of All Hope

-Ever Dream

-Slaying the Dreamer

-Ghost Love Score

-The Pharoah Sails to Orion

-Moondance

-Sacrament of Wilderness

-Stargazers

-Elvenpath

-Crownless

-She Is My Sin

-The Kinslayer

-Wishmaster

-Hell, while you're at it, just put their entire discography on there.

If you want a preview of Nightwish, visit www.myspace.com/kazzman.

Edited by kazzman

QUOTE (paganoman @ Aug 16 2005, 08:57 AM)

You need the Bud Light Presents - Real American Heroes/Real Men of Genius commercials.

They make excellent random appearances between your songs when in shuffle mode on your player. I have loads of em, and they're a riot.

Because if you're using SPF 30, you might as well be using cooking oil.

Something smells delicious

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Aug 16 2005, 11:57 AM)

Hey, that would be cool! Where do I find those? I'm LOVING my new iPod! Why did I wait soooo long? My music listening will never be the same.

Many thanks to Madra for tipping me off to eMusic. I downloaded my introductory 50 songs last night biggrin.gif Now, I'll be a subscriber.

I really like the iTunes program and music store. They pretty much have anything you want. Do any of you know if itunes offers a subscription like other sites? I've looked and haven't seen anything. The subscription is the way to go. I've already spent about $70 at iTunes and would like to do some more, but I've spent enough money lately. I need a more economical alternative. eMusic is a great sight, but the selection is somewhat limited. I'd like to find something with the selection of iTunes with the economic factors of eMusic. I looked at Napster, but they don't support iPod. mad.gif

The suggestions you guys have provided have been really great and very much appreciated. Now, I'm asking for suggestions about music services where I can get music. T4VS turned me onto that angelfire site with the boots, and that was really cool. What about other places I can get free tunes or a place like I mentioned that has a wide selection but is subscription based?

Again, your help is very much appreciated.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Aug 16 2005, 10:57 AM)

They make excellent random appearances between your songs when in shuffle mode on your player.  I have loads of em, and they're a riot.

A culinary creation that baffles the human mind. A 12,000 calorie salad.

Aye carumba!

Snowdog, if you have AOL or MSN Instant Messenger I can send you twenty of those Bud Light things... they're great!

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Aug 16 2005, 12:09 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Aug 16 2005, 11:57 AM)

They make excellent random appearances between your songs when in shuffle mode on your player.  I have loads of em, and they're a riot.

Hey, that would be cool! Where do I find those? I'm LOVING my new iPod! Why did I wait soooo long? My music listening will never be the same.

Many thanks to Madra for tipping me off to eMusic. I downloaded my introductory 50 songs last night biggrin.gif Now, I'll be a subscriber.

I really like the iTunes program and music store. They pretty much have anything you want. Do any of you know if itunes offers a subscription like other sites? I've looked and haven't seen anything. The subscription is the way to go. I've already spent about $70 at iTunes and would like to do some more, but I've spent enough money lately. I need a more economical alternative. eMusic is a great sight, but the selection is somewhat limited. I'd like to find something with the selection of iTunes with the economic factors of eMusic. I looked at Napster, but they don't support iPod. mad.gif

The suggestions you guys have provided have been really great and very much appreciated. Now, I'm asking for suggestions about music services where I can get music. T4VS turned me onto that angelfire site with the boots, and that was really cool. What about other places I can get free tunes or a place like I mentioned that has a wide selection but is subscription based?

Again, your help is very much appreciated.

Well, if you want, I could send you all the songs I recommended via email or Instant Messenger.

I've enjoyed listening to Emerson Lake and Palmer on the i-Pod. If you're on a long run or walk, one of their epics is perfect for passing the time. Pirates, Pictures at an Exhibition, Karn Evil 9, Tarkus. I bought a box set a year ago, and it's been a lot of fun rediscovering them.

Something fun and different is the Gipsy Kings. I had a compilation CD that I got a lot of mileage out of.

QUOTE (Led Zeppelin @ Aug 16 2005, 06:05 PM)
Led Zeppelin's "You Can't Go Wrong With These" Recommendation List:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Led Zeppelin
Rage Against the Machine
The Who
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Muse
The Doors
The Black Keys

Any of these bands will make your iPod very happy.

I agree with most of those....but Muse...I dont know...they've always seemed like a lesser ripoff of Radiohead to me...

Snowdog,

Seeing as you're on emusic, my nickname there is madra2112. BTW, be sure to download the toolbar, it includes a free song a day, some of which are really good.

I've got a list of my favourite downloads on it, but my immediate recommendations are

The Flower Kings - Scanning The Greenhouse

Interpol - Antics

The Frames - For The Birds

Antony And The Johnsons - I Am A Bird Now

The Decembrists - Picaresque

Spoon - Gimee Fiction