Am I the only one that's NOT totally against this idea?

fraroc

:huh:

I'm looking forward to seeing Bathory in leather pants and his baby Rush t-shirt on. :cool:

Shouldn't be hard to pick him out in the crowd. :)

I was going to make a similar wisecrack about the young man, but I decided to hang back. ;)

• Like 2

Honestly, it's hard to find the women at Rush shows. In SoCal, anyway.

Virtually any other 'classic rock' show, thousands of overweight underdressed middle aged hot n' heavy ready-to-have-a-midlife-crisis honeys. :)

Honestly, it's hard to find the women at Rush shows. In SoCal, anyway.

Virtually any other 'classic rock' show, thousands of overweight underdressed middle aged hot n' heavy ready-to-have-a-midlife-crisis honeys. :)

as rush has become more popular the past five years a good solid half percent of the audience is now female :) before, it was like one every thousand

Many of the greats, Who, Stones, McCartney, Kiss, Van Halen,so many others, have and will go on much older than the age of 62. But they ain't Rush.

The show must go on, except for Rush.

And look at the Stones now. Ronnie Wood is basically carrying the bulk of the guitar duties because Keef can barely play with whatever it is that's going on with his hands. With The Who, they're down to just two of them, and Daltrey's voice is a shadow of what it once was and Pete has to have special hearing aids just to be able to stand to be on stage. With KISS, Paul Stanley's voice is completely shot, and Gene Simmons has been dialing it in for years now, functioning more as a business partner than a band member. The less said about Van Halen the better; Michael Anthony is gone, Eddy's playing is pretty iffy, and whatever David Lee Roth might have been thirty years ago, he just isn't any more. Even the once mighty Paul McCartney has been brought low by his voice; his performance of Hey Jude at the London Olympics was pretty sad, and even his piano playing, once pretty good, is no better than someone picking out chords now.

In fact, these bands might very well be the poster children for what Alex is thinking of when he says he doesn't want to be seventy years old still playing at being a rock star. I know a few years ago Geddy was insisting they were never playing better, but maybe Snakes and Arrows and the Time Machine tours were the peak of their abilities, and now they're on the downward slope. Celebrate 40 years as recording artists, give the fans one last celebration, and then end it. And at least they're being classy about it, leaving the slight possibility of more performances or output, and not outright marketing as a "last tour ever" tour like The Who and KISS did, only to eat their words or try to argue themselves out of the public relations boxes they had locked themselves in.

The way they were talking even during the Time Machine tour told me that they were seeing the end of the road, and, for goodness sake, the last track on Clockwork Angels is as clear a "it's been fun, but now we're done!" as I've ever heard. Neil has never made a secret of his ambivalence for touring, which has grown into what seems like active dislike over the last few years. It's clearly lost its luster for Alex, probably because of the arthritis, and maybe, just maybe, because he's nearly 62 and has been a touring musician his entire adult life. If I was in his shoes, even in my chosen career, I'd love to have the financial means to hang it up before 65.

Geddy clearly still has some fiery in his belly, and has a home studio to break in, so I'm thinking we'll hear more solo stuff from him, and maybe even some touring, but even he has had increasing vocal issues, so I doubt if he does go down this road that he'll be doing a lot of it. What I would really dig from Geddy, and maybe even Alex if he's still up to some studio work, is a good killer instrumental rock album.

• Like 5

Many of the greats, Who, Stones, McCartney, Kiss, Van Halen,so many others, have and will go on much older than the age of 62. But they ain't Rush.

And look at the Stones now. Ronnie Wood is basically carrying the bulk of the guitar duties because Keef can barely play with whatever it is that's going on with his hands. With The Who, they're down to just two of them, and Daltrey's voice is a shadow of what it once was and Pete has to have special hearing aids just to be able to stand to be on stage. With KISS, Paul Stanley's voice is completely shot, and Gene Simmons has been dialing it in for years now, functioning more as a business partner than a band member. The less said about Van Halen the better; Michael Anthony is gone, Eddy's playing is pretty iffy, and whatever David Lee Roth might have been thirty years ago, he just isn't any more. Even the once mighty Paul McCartney has been brought low by his voice; his performance of Hey Jude at the London Olympics was pretty sad, and even his piano playing, once pretty good, is no better than someone picking out chords now.

In fact, these bands might very well be the poster children for what Alex is thinking of when he says he doesn't want to be seventy years old still playing at being a rock star. I know a few years ago Geddy was insisting they were never playing better, but maybe Snakes and Arrows and the Time Machine tours were the peak of their abilities, and now they're on the downward slope. Celebrate 40 years as recording artists, give the fans one last celebration, and then end it. And at least they're being classy about it, leaving the slight possibility of more performances or output, and not outright marketing as a "last tour ever" tour like The Who and KISS did, only to eat their words or try to argue themselves out of the public relations boxes they had locked themselves in.

The way they were talking even during the Time Machine tour told me that they were seeing the end of the road, and, for goodness sake, the last track on Clockwork Angels is as clear a "it's been fun, but now we're done!" as I've ever heard. Neil has never made a secret of his ambivalence for touring, which has grown into what seems like active dislike over the last few years. It's clearly lost its luster for Alex, probably because of the arthritis, and maybe, just maybe, because he's nearly 62 and has been a touring musician his entire adult life. If I was in his shoes, even in my chosen career, I'd love to have the financial means to hang it up before 65.

Geddy clearly still has some fiery in his belly, and has a home studio to break in, so I'm thinking we'll hear more solo stuff from him, and maybe even some touring, but even he has had increasing vocal issues, so I doubt if he does go down this road that he'll be doing a lot of it. What I would really dig from Geddy, and maybe even Alex if he's still up to some studio work, is a good killer instrumental rock album.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

So who is this toadbrother fella I have been hearing so much about? Getting ovations and stuff... ;)

Just play'in. Welcome to the TRF toadbrother and don't be a stranger especially if you are going to make sense... :cheers:

So who is this toadbrother fella I have been hearing so much about? Getting ovations and stuff...

Don't know, but he has a grip on reality which is always refreshing. :)

Do the ones with a supreme grip on reality hang around very long usually? ;)

So who is this toadbrother fella I have been hearing so much about? Getting ovations and stuff... ;)

A long time Rush fan who has lurked on this forum on and off over the years. I became a fan in the late 80s when Much Music played A Show of Hand's live version of Marathon. I went out and bought Exit Stage Left (still one of my top five favorite records ever; up there with The Police's Synchronicity, The Beatles' Abbey Road and King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King), and then loved that so much that I bought these oddball Archives on cassette tape (for some reason smoking up and playing I'm Going Bald was a rather big riot during my late teens and early 20s). I'm a sufficiently large Rush geek that I usually do at least one beginning-to-end listening of the Rush catalog, including live albums, ever year.

• Like 1

So who is this toadbrother fella I have been hearing so much about? Getting ovations and stuff...

Only if they learn to keep their thoughts to themselves. ;)

• Like 1

A long time Rush fan who has lurked on this forum on and off over the years. I became a fan in the late 80s when Much Music played A Show of Hand's live version of Marathon. I went out and bought Exit Stage Left (still one of my top five favorite records ever; up there with The Police's Synchronicity, The Beatles' Abbey Road and King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King), and then loved that so much that I bought these oddball Archives on cassette tape (for some reason smoking up and playing I'm Going Bald was a rather big riot during my late teens and early 20s). I'm a sufficiently large Rush geek that I usually do at least one beginning-to-end listening of the Rush catalog, including live albums, ever year.

A better man than me but I am old after all. We are here every day it seems if you wish to join us as often as is possible even if ATWAS isn't your favorite... :LOL:
  • Like 1

Only if they learn to keep their thoughts to themselves. ;)

:rfl: Ahhh. Needed that one... :clap:
  • Like 1

I thought that by now, most people would just appreciate the effort these bands make to do concerts into an advanced age. Guess I was wrong.

I thought that by now, most people would just appreciate the effort these bands make to do concerts into an advanced age. Guess I was wrong.

It's interesting the sudden influx of newcomers coming here to defend the band's retirement... Like the entire Anthem staff has gotten accounts all of a sudden... :eh:

I saw Paul McCartney twice... Once in 2010, the other in 2011... I couldn't care less if he can still hit the high notes in Live And Let Die or Hey Jude or not... He's a F*cking LEGEND and he's 74 years old or something and he STILL rocks like he was 20.... :notworthy: Just like Ringo... And EVH has never looked better.... I'm tired of seeing these older musician get crapped all over because they decide to do what they do best... Being musicians..... If you can't stand seeing them "get old, just stay home and let the 20, 000+ of us at each show enjoy the moment... Thank you.....

I'm gonna go to eaglemoon and lorraine's show(s) and wear leather pants and a hemispheres tanktop that's two sizes too small

In for pics....

Only two sizes too small? Good luck fitting into the leather pants...or at least walking. :LOL:

• Like 1

Musicians are no different than any other occupation; there is a point at which the gifts are eroded. Athletes suffer this fate, jewelers, painters. Heck, even lawyers, doctors and writers often run up against the ravages of aging, though perhaps because they're pursuits are often more academic and intellectual, they can push on longer. If I admired a great painter, my admiration would remain, even if their failing eyesight meant their later works were substandard, and I'm afraid I would be critical of them pushing on when it was clear that they physically were no longer able to do it.

I'm thinking here of what BB King's management did to him, wheeling him out on to a stage long after he was no longer physically able to play with anything approaching the skill of his prime. Maybe it sounds ageist, but there is simple realities here that, if we're lucky, we get old and can't do the things we used to do, or if we do, it causes us so much discomfort that they're not worth it anymore.

And it's pretty obvious that's the position Alex is taking; that there is a law of diminishing returns, and if Neil (and probably Alex) are finding it hard to replicate the level of playing they were capable of even a few years ago, it isn't going to get any better. Do you really want Rush to push on until Neil turns into another Phil Collins, with physical infirmities making playing all but impossible? I really think there's something to getting out while your reputation is still intact.

Besides, maybe this next stage will offer something different. Like I said in my other post, I'd love to hear Geddy and Alex pull off an instrumental album.

• Like 1

It's interesting the sudden influx of newcomers coming here to defend the band's retirement... Like the entire Anthem staff has gotten accounts all of a sudden... :eh:

I saw Paul McCartney twice... Once in 2010, the other in 2011... I couldn't care less if he can still hit the high notes in Live And Let Die or Hey Jude or not... He's a F*cking LEGEND and he's 74 years old or something and he STILL rocks like he was 20.... :notworthy: Just like Ringo... And EVH has never looked better.... I'm tired of seeing these older musician get crapped all over because they decide to do what they do best... Being musicians..... If you can't stand seeing them "get old, just stay home and let the 20, 000+ of us at each show enjoy the moment... Thank you.....

Hey listen here, this is just an extrapolation of what Alex has been saying lately, and what Neil has been very strongly hinting at since the Time Machine tour. And if you want to listen to Macca warble out detuned renditions of his hits, be my guest. I'm glad Macca still has the fan base.

And so far as I can tell, if Ray had his way, the band would be touring until their limbs fell off. This was a guy that was saying they could go on for ten more years even as the band itself was making it pretty clear that they weren't going to be playing in ten years.

And Rush really is a different kind of band than McCartney. McCartney has some great tunes, even some pretty hefty rockers, but he's also got one helluva backing band, and if his drummer suffers some injury that renders him incapable of playing, well he just goes and auditions a new one. If any of the three members of Rush decides it's done, it's basically a "Bonham died" moment. There's no going forward. They've made it very clear that Rush is the three of them, and if anyone drops out, the gig is up.

Besides, do you really want to see Rush still playing when Alex is as crapped out as Keith Richards, missing half the notes and clearly having huge problems playing anything but simple riffs. And remember, Keef has Ronnie Wood, who is a bit younger and still has a lot of his dexterity, who can fill in. Or can you imagine Neil trying to play Tom Sawyer and having to simplify the fills, just so he can keep up? Or Geddy still singing when half an hour into the show his croaking? And for what, so you can get your rocks off?

Rush is done after this tour is finished, and I thank them for all the years of incredible music and performances. They've earned the right not to dance around on stage for people who can't let go.

• Like 3

Hey listen here, this is just an extrapolation of what Alex has been saying lately, and what Neil has been very strongly hinting at since the Time Machine tour. And if you want to listen to Macca warble out detuned renditions of his hits, be my guest. I'm glad Macca still has the fan base.

And so far as I can tell, if Ray had his way, the band would be touring until their limbs fell off. This was a guy that was saying they could go on for ten more years even as the band itself was making it pretty clear that they weren't going to be playing in ten years.

And Rush really is a different kind of band than McCartney. McCartney has some great tunes, even some pretty hefty rockers, but he's also got one helluva backing band, and if his drummer suffers some injury that renders him incapable of playing, well he just goes and auditions a new one. If any of the three members of Rush decides it's done, it's basically a "Bonham died" moment. There's no going forward. They've made it very clear that Rush is the three of them, and if anyone drops out, the gig is up.

Besides, do you really want to see Rush still playing when Alex is as crapped out as Keith Richards, missing half the notes and clearly having huge problems playing anything but simple riffs. And remember, Keef has Ronnie Wood, who is a bit younger and still has a lot of his dexterity, who can fill in. Or can you imagine Neil trying to play Tom Sawyer and having to simplify the fills, just so he can keep up? Or Geddy still singing when half an hour into the show his croaking? And for what, so you can get your rocks off?

Rush is done after this tour is finished, and I thank them for all the years of incredible music and performances. They've earned the right not to dance around on stage for people who can't let go.

Hey toadbotherer, I'm not bothered if the band doesn't play another note together but I'd bet good money that this isn't the end.

We'll see. It'll be interesting to revisit this thread in 12 months time.

Oh, and welcome to TRF.

• Like 2

Hey toadbotherer, I'm not bothered if the band doesn't play another note together but I'd bet good money that this isn't the end.

We'll see. It'll be interesting to revisit this thread in 12 months time.

Oh, and welcome to TRF.

This is the equivilant of a sloppy kiss from this dude...savor the love!

Some people don't want to let go, and now you know why Neil is the way he is

Preach on, brother.

Don't understand these fanboys who can't accept the inevitable. Who'd rather they grind themselves into the ground playing casinos before retirement.

Preach on, brother.

Don't understand these fanboys who can't accept the inevitable. Who'd rather they grind themselves into the ground playing casinos before retirement.

I think they have more integrity than that. It's fine for some bands, especially ones that were popular years ago and haven't had any great songs in 30 years (I'm thinking Kansas in particular), but for Rush it would just be embarrassing.

Preach on, brother.

I think they have more integrity than that. It's fine for some bands, especially ones that were popular years ago and haven't had any great songs in 30 years (I'm thinking Kansas in particular), but for Rush it would just be embarrassing.

Indeed. Rush would never sink that low.

Nor do I think they need to play themselves into the grave, as some seem to believe they ought to.

• Like 1