A Question for 73 and TRF - Periscope Thread

LedRush

Would it be possible, or even desirable, to have a thread for each concert in which the only posts are links to Periscope feeds? I'm finding it very difficult to find the links during the concert with the amounts of posting in the concert threads. We could even just have one thread for all concerts, as only the most recent post or 2 will be relevant.

And for clarification, I understand that there is a Periscope thread, but there is a lot of extra stuff in it. Also, I would hope that the thread could be pinned.

Just to show how out of touch I am (largely because I'm trying to avoid spoilers), explain what this Periscope thing is. Is it like a live feed?

Basicly. It's a cell phone app, streams live video, obviously meant for concerts and the like. Is obviously meant to be used with twitter, and probably viewed on a phone, but can be viewed on a browser without any sign-ups.

Just to show how out of touch I am (largely because I'm trying to avoid spoilers), explain what this Periscope thing is. Is it like a live feed?

It seems to be some poor schmuck giving us a live feed of the show with his or her cellphone. Haven't a clue how they do it and its not beautiful or great sounding by any means (in my opinion) but it does give you a look at the whole show when its happening... :huh:

Oh, one more thing: if for some reason the feed dies, the user has to set up another feed, with a NEW url.

This is part of why a dedicated link thread might be useful.

Also, I was going to ask this the other day: How about a pinned thread with the setlist at the top of the page? Because later in the show and afterwards people come into the show thread asking what the set was.

• Like 2

Oh, one more thing: if for some reason the feed dies, the user has to set up another feed, with a NEW url.

This is part of why a dedicated link thread might be useful.

Also, I was going to ask this the other day: How about a pinned thread with the setlist at the top of the page? Because later in the show and afterwards people come into the show thread asking what the set was.

Agreed. I just happened to catch losingit2k's setlist from last night (and a nice one it was) at just the right moment. If I hadn't I would have been digging through a thousand or more posts to find it... :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Rush Is A Band

They have a post for each night of the tour, with the set in full.

Is RIAB also allowing people to post these periscope links?

Yes.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Rush Is A Band

They have a post for each night of the tour, with the set in full.

Is RIAB also allowing people to post these periscope links?

Yes.

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2015/05/12/4343/Rush-R40-Live-tour-Saint-Paul-open-thread/#disqus_thread

This Periscope thing must be really new. I never heard of it before opening night. I attend a decent amount of concerts every year, so I figure I would have heard something about it if it had been going on for a while.

This Periscope thing must be really new. I never heard of it before opening night. I attend a decent amount of concerts every year, so I figure I would have heard something about it if it had been going on for a while.

I think it got very big for the first time in the Mayweather-Pacqiao fight.

I think it got very big for the first time in the Mayweather-Pacqiao fight.

That's right, I remember reading that. Pretty cool idea but i'm sure people are already starting to abuse it beyond belief like any other new technology.

It might not be long before Rush asks security to stop people from recording (for more than a few minutes anyways).

Good luck trying to enforce that in venues that hold 10,000 or more. It could surely be enforced in a smaller theater or club venue but in an arena or amphitheater, forget about it. There's a slim chance in bigger venues that security will be able to catch anyone unless they have their phone up in the air or way out in front of them for all to see.

It might not be long before Rush asks security to stop people from recording (for more than a few minutes anyways).

Good luck trying to enforce that in venues that hold 10,000 or more. It could surely be enforced in a smaller theater or club venue but in an arena or amphitheater, forget about it. There's a slim chance in bigger venues that security will be able to catch anyone unless they have their phone up in the air or way out in front of them for all to see.

And even then, how would they know you're streaming rather than just making a video like a thousand other people?

What is the difference between this and all of the bootlegs, thousands of them, we have?

Personally, I don't think Rush cares; maybe Ray will though.

We'll all still buy the official DVD of the tour.

This is exactly right. The excitement of seeing a live concert,on periscope, let alone the setlist, immediately made me certain to try to take a road trip to add shows. I would never hesitate to buy the Blu ray as a result due periscope either. So in my case, it will directly result in more cash being pumped into the economy.

As others have said the video is mediocre. There is much better HD stuff posted to you tube from every show.

• Like 3

What is the difference between this and all of the bootlegs, thousands of them, we have?

This is exactly right. The excitement of seeing a live concert,on periscope, let alone the setlist, immediately made me certain to try to take a road trip to add shows. I would never hesitate to buy the Blu ray as a result due periscope either. So in my case, it will directly result in more cash being pumped into the economy.

As others have said the video is mediocre. There is much better HD stuff posted to you tube from every show.

Exactly! It's actually free advertising isn't it? Who doesn't appreciate that?

• Like 1

I think it is the best advertisement this tour could have gotten. I am sure many who were undecided to go see them decided to do so on account of this.

• Like 3

I think it is the best advertisement this tour could have gotten. I am sure many who were undecided to go see them decided to do so on account of this.

You're so right about that. After the view through the periscope at opening night, my heart and mind tell me, multiple times, on a daily basis, to organize this f**kin' trip. Periscope was so unexpected and unbelievable, it came in like a shock and now I really yearn to see them on this epic tour.

Oh, how I wish

*longing* for :rush:

• Like 5

I'll be honest. Periscope isn't getting me to any more shows, (The set does that.) but it's sure making for an incredibly fun ride to getting there

There's nothing like being there, but these are some great appetizers.

Seeing these shows live every other night puts what these guys do in a context that pulling random shows off the shelf and playing them simply does not provide.

• Like 1

I'll be honest. Periscope isn't getting me to any more shows, (The set does that.) but it's sure making for an incredibly fun ride to getting there

There's nothing like being there, but these are some great appetizers.

Seeing these shows live every other night puts what these guys do in a context that pulling random shows off the shelf and playing them simply does not provide.

I know, right? I'm exhausted lol

• Like 1