I'll probably get banned for this :p (SPOILERS)

andreww

We should never get offended when someone writes what Andrew has written. Or when Mick says something similar.

There's no one here who says it to be mean or malicious. Speaking for myself, it hurts to listen to a man who once had quite the voice now struggle. But, as KennyLee here once said a while back - Ged burned his voice out for us ages ago touring.

The only song I have heard from the recent tour is Xanadu, and I thought he sounded very well. In fact, I was surprised he did sound so well.

:goodone: Nice Lorraine. I just don't get when folks get so upset when someone speaks their own truth especially when you can tell they really want to say, hear and feel something better and different. You can be honest and go enjoy the show anyway (as I will) but the rose colored glasses thing just isn't for me... :codger:

Nitpicking, here. There is no "own truth". Truth is supposed to be objective. Truth - Geddy's voice is not the same. Opinion - Geddy's voice ruins a concert or album. Opinions. And you know what they say about opinions...

You say it is only "Opinion". But the person who truly thinks the voice ruins the gig views it as "Fact". You saying that his voice doesn't get in the way is merely your "Opinion", not mine.

Your truth buddy, but it doesn't apply t everybody.

• Like 1

The live experience isn't perfection but when I'm there I'm not thinking on how's Geddy's voice can be better. I'm thinking I'm watching my favorite band play amazingly and playing songs they haven't played in decades in what is most likely their farewell tour.

But everyone is different.

Right. i have never understood the sonic nit-picking.

Anybody that goes to a rush show in 2015 expecting Geddy to sound like he did in 1978 is just fooling themselves.

Enjoy the show for what it is. Not what you wish it would be.

I can't enjoy something if I do not find the most important elements, well, enjoyable.

• Like 1

This is a TOTO Free Zone!!

TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO

• Like 1

We should never get offended when someone writes what Andrew has written. Or when Mick says something similar.

There's no one here who says it to be mean or malicious. Speaking for myself, it hurts to listen to a man who once had quite the voice now struggle. But, as KennyLee here once said a while back - Ged burned his voice out for us ages ago touring.

The only song I have heard from the recent tour is Xanadu, and I thought he sounded very well. In fact, I was surprised he did sound so well.

:goodone: Nice Lorraine. I just don't get when folks get so upset when someone speaks their own truth especially when you can tell they really want to say, hear and feel something better and different. You can be honest and go enjoy the show anyway (as I will) but the rose colored glasses thing just isn't for me... :codger:

Nitpicking, here. There is no "own truth". Truth is supposed to be objective. Truth - Geddy's voice is not the same. Opinion - Geddy's voice ruins a concert or album. Opinions. And you know what they say about opinions...

My bad. I have never claimed to be intelligent that is for sure. Appreciate the correction... :)

You say it is only "Opinion". But the person who truly thinks the voice ruins the gig views it as "Fact". You saying that his voice doesn't get in the way is merely your "Opinion", not mine.

No. Facts are also objective. We call play semantics all you. Opinions are not facts and truths. Can you change your opinion? Yes. Can you change a fact or truth?

My bad. I have never claimed to be intelligent that is for sure. Appreciate the correction... :)

I also hate when people say, "I could care less." :cheers:

• Like 1

Just so I have this straight... An individuals "own truth" for lack of a better term is just their opinion?... :codger:

Just so I have this straight... An individuals "own truth" for lack of a better term is just their opinion?... :codger:

Pretty much. It's semantics, really. One's "own truth" can be used for support and inspiration and strength. I'll never try to impede something like that. Yes. Geddy's voice is lacking what it once had. It's a physical truth. I don't think it ruins the concert experience. You do. I don't. Opinions. We're all happy.

After a busy weekend I finally found a few minutes on Monday morning to sit down and see how the new tour was shaping up. As ticket prices in Toronto are pretty steep, I thought I'd check to see that the setlist was to my liking before dropping a ton of cash on tickets. So I anxiously checked out the setlist from Tulsa and wow, I was impressed. Not thrilled with the tree Clockwork Angles songs that opened the show, but it was all uphill from there! Fantastic! Xanadu, Lakeside Park and What You Doin, all songs I haven't heard live since the 80s! Quickly I check out some picks of the gig and love the stage setup, and Ged and Alex are using double necks again!!!! This is starting to look like a no brainer, Ticketmaster here I come!

Then I downloaded MP3s from the show and to be quite honest, THE BAND SOUNDS TERRIBLE. I can forgive Alex for being a little sloppy, it was the first show after all. But to be blunt, Geddy's voice is terrible. Not just bad, TERRIBLE. Lakeside Park and Xanadu are painful to listen to as a matter of fact. Maybe he just can't hit those notes anymore, but to me it sounds like he's got some kind of hearing loss and just can't find the notes anymore. I've noticed this on the last few tours, that Ged kind of slurs his words when he sings, sounding like someone with absolutely no hearing would sound, but in Tulsa it was worse and he was off key. Hopefully he gets better as the tour progresses but at this point I think I'll pass on going and simply remember those songs with fondness rather than trying to listen to that mess.

Sorry guys, just being honest here.

I know as a fan I should support the band whatever, but Geddy just doesn't inspire me to see them. To see them for the sake of seeing them isn't fair for me to spend money to be disappointed. I will support them in other ways, but having listened to the bootlegs, I am afraid that if they come to the UK, I think it would be less than tempting.

I am seeing Nightwish, and I am also really hoping Toto tour here as well. They are on performing at their peak, and I know I wouldn't feel cheated.

Being a fan means knowing what you love and knowing when to say no. It shouldn't have to mean blindly supporting a band against your own will. Besides, the ticket I could have paid money for (if they were over here) would probably be better appreciated by another fan.

Go away and see Toto then. Ingrate!! ;)

I respect everyone's personal tastes in music.

But seriously, man. Toto and Rush are nowhere near in the same league. And I like Toto. Lukather is a perpetually underrated musician and vocalist. That said...in no way does Toto come close to Rush's tier. :)

In all honesty, I like one Toto album more than Rush's entire body of work combined, and I would take nineties and 00's and 10's Toto, both studio and live, over anything from Rush after HYF. And that is the truth.

I love Toto the way some people round here love Steven Wilson, Yes or Genesis. For me, they belong in the top tier.

I hear ya, lol. Me, I have three favorite bands that haven't changed in rank for 25 years plus. One of them is Rush.

I will put up Rush from PeW to GuP and that run of LPs will DESTROY the combined output of Yes, Genesis, and Toto combined. :)

But I might be biased. :D

(my other 2 faves are the Police (defunct) and Van Halen (derailed).

So me being happy about Rush still playing with each other is probably heightened a tad. :D

Aside from Fahrenheit, every Rush album from CoS-HYF slays the rest of Toto for me...but overall, from debut to most recent release, both studio and live, Toto have been more consistent.

And The Police were amazing! As for Van Halen, they died with 1984...and never recovered...not sure many agree with me, but the drop from top to bottom for me was truly embarrassing.

Nah, VH was great with Sammy between '85 and '95. Eddie was at his peak. I miss that band. :)

But yes, VH has made a mess of their legacy. :(

I must admit...I think I have yet to really give Hagar Halen a proper chance...will revisit.

I will take dodgy Halen live over the covers band masquerading as the real Yes any day of the week.

LOL, you mean Yes without Jon Anderson? Agreed. :)

Truth is the songs would sound ten times better if they tuned down a half step. Geddy's voice has deepened over the years and its out of tune for the songs, you can't change that. So you have to adjust the guitar tunings to match his voice. Zeppelin did it at O2 and the result was fantastic. I know this is a Rush site, I love these guys more than anything, but if you don't think its painful to listen to Ged struggle to hit notes, then you aren't really listening. You wouldn't accept Alex playing out of tune would you? The other option would be offstage backup singers to hit the high notes, I know Aerosmith does that.

Wow, Myles. Poor, in bad health, and British. Three strikes, eh?

I'd have no problem going to a Rush show and having them play Geddy's voice from the recordings and the boys play their instruments live with Ged pretending to sing into a dead mike.

Would I prefer Geddy's voice to be better? Yes!

Would it prevent me from going to an R40 show? Hells no!

• Like 1

Pretty much. It's semantics, really. One's "own truth" can be used for support and inspiration and strength. I'll never try to impede something like that. Yes. Geddy's voice is lacking what it once had. It's a physical truth. I don't think it ruins the concert experience. You do. I don't. Opinions. We're all happy.

Hold the phone here. Never said that (in bold) and don't even believe that either. Not even close. I think the live recordings in recent years are hard to listen to because of what we are discussing but not the live show experience and there is a big difference in the two in my opinion... :codger: Edited by Narps
  • Like 2

Truth is the songs would sound ten times better if they tuned down a half step. Geddy's voice has deepened over the years and its out of tune for the songs, you can't change that. So you have to adjust the guitar tunings to match his voice. Zeppelin did it at O2 and the result was fantastic. I know this is a Rush site, I love these guys more than anything, but if you don't think its painful to listen to Ged struggle to hit notes, then you aren't really listening. You wouldn't accept Alex playing out of tune would you? The other option would be offstage backup singers to hit the high notes, I know Aerosmith does that.

I don't think it's painful because I know Geddy can't do it anymore. Seriously, when I'm in the crowd it passes me by. Later on, if I listen to a bootleg, I'll probably cringe.

If Geddy's vocals really can't keep up (and there's a good chance they won't). tours of this magnitude are most likely done.

So true and so easy for a 3 piece to accomplish but it aint gonna happen. Maybe I'll do the ear plug thing fo rthe first time this go round though that might increase recogniztion of pitchiness.

Hold the phone here. Never said that (in bold) and don't even believe that either. Not even close. I think the live recording are hard to listen to because of what we are discussing but not the live show experience and there is a big difference in the two in my opinion... :codger:

Got it. And we're in agreement.

• Like 2

Hold the phone here. Never said that (in bold) and don't even believe that either. Not even close. I think the live recording are hard to listen to because of what we are discussing but not the live show experience and there is a big difference in the two in my opinion... :codger:

Ahhhhhhh. Exhale... :cheers: Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

No. Facts are also objective. We call play semantics all you. Opinions are not facts and truths. Can you change your opinion? Yes. Can you change a fact or truth?

But if I did not enjoy a gig for said reasons, that is a fact and nothing will ever change that.

Well, it's about time.

Now....moving along...... :popcorn:

• Like 1

I don't think it's painful because I know Geddy can't do it anymore. Seriously, when I'm in the crowd it passes me by. Later on, if I listen to a bootleg, I'll probably cringe.

If Geddy's vocals really can't keep up (and there's a good chance they won't). tours of this magnitude are most likely done.

That time has come. But truthfully, this is a big and expensive show and there is no way fans should accept sub par performance, especially when there are ways around it.

• Like 1

Well, it's about time.

Now....moving along...... :popcorn:

:rfl: Needed that one. Thanks...
  • Like 1